Topics

Multiple Instances of APRSIS?

WH6FQE

I am still having trouble trying to get a SatGate setup here in Hawaii. I tried using a different program which was recommended for SatGates, however I am getting absolutely no support over there at all in trying to figure out how to get the program to function. So I am back to this one which works fine for my APRS iGate that I operate.

We figured out that I can not have the APRSIS system set up with two different radios on different frequencies, but is there a way of running multiple instances of APRSIS, one connected to each radio?

RC

WH6FQE

Randy Love

Yes, very easily actually.

Just make a different folder for your second instance and install it again from the .zip file.
You can point it to the maps of the first instance if you don't want to duplicate the folders and data for them.

73,
Randy
WF5X

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 6:47 PM wh6fqe@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

I am still having trouble trying to get a SatGate setup here in Hawaii. I tried using a different program which was recommended for SatGates, however I am getting absolutely no support over there at all in trying to figure out how to get the program to function. So I am back to this one which works fine for my APRS iGate that I operate.

We figured out that I can not have the APRSIS system set up with two different radios on different frequencies, but is there a way of running multiple instances of APRSIS, one connected to each radio?

RC

WH6FQE

WH6FQE

Randy,

Thanks. I got the program duplicated to another folder and both instances are now running, I just have to track down an issue with the new one. Where the original at the top left flashes back and forth between APRS-IS OK and Radio OK the new one is flashing between APRS-IS OK and SatGate Open and will not transmit.

Had to commandeer my SCS Tracker that I normally run my VHF Winlink Gateway on to use for this to see if I can get the SatGate working, but something isn't quite right somewhere with the settings yet.

RC
WH6FQE

Randy Love

Ok.

It should just be particular to the setting for that port and TNC.

Good luck!

73,
Randy
WF5X

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 7:48 PM wh6fqe@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

Randy,

Thanks. I got the program duplicated to another folder and both instances are now running, I just have to track down an issue with the new one. Where the original at the top left flashes back and forth between APRS-IS OK and Radio OK the new one is flashing between APRS-IS OK and SatGate Open and will not transmit.

Had to commandeer my SCS Tracker that I normally run my VHF Winlink Gateway on to use for this to see if I can get the SatGate working, but something isn't quite right somewhere with the settings yet.

RC
WH6FQE

WH6FQE

I am not finding where the problem with the SatGate radio setup is. In the logging it shows this over and over again:

Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Opening COM14:9600,N,8,1
Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Opening COM14 with 4 Args
Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Opening COM14 Got -1 Error 5
Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Status 0 Error 0 At 228 in c:\compass\code\aprs\aprsisce\cprtns.c
Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Error Opening COM14:9600,N,8,1 LastError 0

But I don't have a clue what all of that means.

RC
WH6FQE

Randy Love

Lynn will have to decipher those.
He can find them in the code and give you a good idea what needs to be wiggled.

Randy
WF5X

On Wed, May 22, 2019, 9:41 PM wh6fqe@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

I am not finding where the problem with the SatGate radio setup is. In the logging it shows this over and over again:

Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Opening COM14:9600,N,8,1
Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Opening COM14 with 4 Args
Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Opening COM14 Got -1 Error 5
Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Status 0 Error 0 At 228 in c:\compass\code\aprs\aprsisce\cprtns.c
Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Error Opening COM14:9600,N,8,1 LastError 0

But I don't have a clue what all of that means.

RC
WH6FQE

Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...>

I personally prefer the shortcut method in the second directory.
Make sure you have the  "Start in:" folder set to the second instance and point the "Target:" to the actual executable.
This makes it easier to update the EXE file on both instances at the same time.

Also recommend setting a path to your maps in the XML of each to the same folder so that you can use common map tiles

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019, 7:35:59 PM EDT, Randy Love rlove31@... [aprsisce] wrote:

[...]

Lynn Deffenbaugh

It is highly likely that something else has COM14 open (Error 5).  Possibly your original instance still has that port defined?  If so, simply disable it there.

If you have any other programs using COM14, APRSISCE/32 won't be able to open it either.  A terminal emulator, a TNC utility, anything.  Windows only allows one program at a time to use most COM ports.

On 5/22/2019 9:40 PM, wh6fqe@... [aprsisce] wrote:
I am not finding where the problem with the SatGate radio setup is. In the logging it shows this over and over again:

Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Opening COM14:9600,N,8,1
Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Opening COM14 with 4 Args
Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Opening COM14 Got -1 Error 5
Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Status 0 Error 0 At 228 in c:\compass\code\aprs\aprsisce\cprtns.c
Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Error Opening COM14:9600,N,8,1 LastError 0

But I don't have a clue what all of that means.

RC
WH6FQE

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Also, the two instances need to use two different -SSIDs if you didn't already know that.

On 5/22/2019 9:40 PM, wh6fqe@... [aprsisce] wrote:
I am not finding where the problem with the SatGate radio setup is. In the logging it shows this over and over again:

Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Opening COM14:9600,N,8,1
Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Opening COM14 with 4 Args
Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Opening COM14 Got -1 Error 5
Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Status 0 Error 0 At 228 in c:\compass\code\aprs\aprsisce\cprtns.c
Port(SatGate):2019-05-23T01:37:55.866 Error Opening COM14:9600,N,8,1 LastError 0

But I don't have a clue what all of that means.

RC
WH6FQE

Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...>

The 4 args are 9600,n,8,1 -> normal port settings.
Best guess on the error is that the port is already in use.
   Are you running another app that is accessing the same TNC or leave a configuration app open?

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019, 10:15:58 PM EDT, Randy Love rlove31@... [aprsisce] wrote:

[...]

Ok, I rebooted BPQ32, which that Comport was attached to, and that resolved that issue, apparently somehow it was still attached and holding the comport open.

The Satgate OK now shows up in the APRSIS as it should, but APRSIS has knocked my SCS Tracker out of Kiss Mode now. The red KISS light on the Tracker went off once BPQ32 was rebooted and it let go of the comport.

It has to be APRSIS that is forcing it out of KISS mode because the DIP switch on the front of the Tracker is set to be in KISS mode.

RC
WH6FQE

WH6FQE

Lynn,

Right, I have my normal APRS IGate set to -3 and the SatGate set to -6

RC
WH6FQE

WH6FQE

Robert,

The port was apparently somehow still connected to BPQ32, when I rebooted BPQ32 it released it and APRSIS could connect to it, but it forced the SCS Tracker out of KISS mode now even though the Trackers DIP switch is set for KISS mode.

RC
WH6FQE

Lynn Deffenbaugh

You need to use a terminal emulator or something to put your SCS Tracker back into KISS mode.  But before you do that, delete the (probably) KISS-type port you created for it and create it as a Simply(KISS).  The former is designed for Kenwood APRS radios (other than the D74) and does send the exit KISS command when the port is disabled or the program is closed.  The latter does not do any commands to the TNC at all.

On 5/23/2019 2:24 AM, wh6fqe@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Lynn,

Ok, I rebooted BPQ32, which that Comport was attached to, and that resolved that issue, apparently somehow it was still attached and holding the comport open.

The Satgate OK now shows up in the APRSIS as it should, but APRSIS has knocked my SCS Tracker out of Kiss Mode now. The red KISS light on the Tracker went off once BPQ32 was rebooted and it let go of the comport.

It has to be APRSIS that is forcing it out of KISS mode because the DIP switch on the front of the Tracker is set to be in KISS mode.

RC
WH6FQE

WH6FQE

Lynn,

Everytime it is put into KISS mode, when I launch APRSIS it takes it back out of KISS mode and the red KISS mode light goes back off. The port in APRSIS is set as Simply(KISS) protocol.

RC
WH6FQE

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Can you e-mail your APRSIS32.XML configuration file to KJ4ERJ@...?  And the name of the port that is connected to the SCS.  The default for Simply(KISS) is no s.  But if you (or someone) manually added some they'll be in there.

On 5/23/2019 6:30 PM, wh6fqe@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Lynn,

Everytime it is put into KISS mode, when I launch APRSIS it takes it back out of KISS mode and the red KISS mode light goes back off. The port in APRSIS is set as Simply(KISS) protocol.

RC
WH6FQE

WH6FQE

Lynn,

Ok, I figured out what needed to be changed. I simply changed the normal Open and Close command in the XML file over to:

<OpenCmd>^027~!!1</OpenCmd>
<OpenCmd>^064^075!!0</OpenCmd>
<CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!1</CloseCmd>
<CloseCmd>^027~!!1</CloseCmd>

and now when I bring up APRSIS it puts the SCS Tracker into KISS mode and now allows it to transmit.

Not really sure what all that coding means, but the Tracker is now staying in KISS mode like it is supposed to and it appears to be working correctly. Will have to wait and see if it actually picks up the Satellite APRS signals or not.

RC
WH6FQE

WH6FQE

Ok, not sure what happened now. I found the wiki page where it showed to add the filter:

b/RS0ISS*/W3ADO-1/ARISS d/RS0ISS*/W3ADO-1/ARISS

Yet once I added this, it kicked my SCS Tracker back out of KISS mode. What the heck?

RC
WH6FQE

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Filters have nothing to do with KISS mode on the RF ports.  Something else is going on.

On 5/26/2019 12:10 AM, wh6fqe@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Ok, not sure what happened now. I found the wiki page where it showed to add the filter:

b/RS0ISS*/W3ADO-1/ARISS d/RS0ISS*/W3ADO-1/ARISS

Yet once I added this, it kicked my SCS Tracker back out of KISS mode. What the heck?

RC
WH6FQE

Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...>

Filters don't do anything to the port - as far as sending commands, so if isn't the filter.

Are you sure your TNC is set to remain in KISS mode over power cyvce/reset and you are using a Simply(KISS) port?
  That, truly is thd best method.

Check you port settings for "Quiet Time".  If your not a Simply(KISS) port, It could be that a period of inactivity on the port is sending the Close/Open commands and reseeting the port.
  Of course Simply(KISS) has those cleared out.

Try Quiet Time zero.