Ailunce HD1 GPS to Aprsisce

shoan butler

Has any ran an hd1 on this system and how did you get it to work if you did. I've been trying for days and gotten nowhere.

Rob Giuliano

with a key comment:
 *There is a GPS version of this radio, but it doesn’t look to be very helpful and does not have APRS capability built in.

It appears that if you want to use this radio for APRS, you will need an external TNC

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

On Saturday, April 20, 2019, 1:24:33 PM EDT, shoan butler kn4txm@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

Has any ran an hd1 on this system and how did you get it to work if you did. I've been trying for days and gotten nowhere.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

What exactly are you trying to do with the HD1 and APRSISCE/32?

This does not appear to be an APRS radio, nor does it contain a TNC. And I don't readily see any way to get the GPS information out of the radio to a PC.

From what I read, it appears that the radio can send GPS data to another HD1, but I'm not sure about that.  I may have read about some work to port position information from a DMR repeater to the APRS-IS similar to D-PRS, but I'm not even sure of that recollection.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

On 4/20/2019 1:12 PM, shoan butler kn4txm@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I did find the following pages, but you need more than just the radio to make it work.

https://groups.io/g/APRS-CANADA/message/4

http://mrickey.com/2016/04/brandmeister-setting-up-gps/

On 4/20/2019 1:50 PM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] wrote:

This does not appear to be an APRS radio, nor does it contain a TNC. And I don't readily see any way to get the GPS information out of the radio to a PC.

From what I read, it appears that the radio can send GPS data to another HD1, but I'm not sure about that.  I may have read about some work to port position information from a DMR repeater to the APRS-IS similar to D-PRS, but I'm not even sure of that recollection.

RC Anderson, Ph.D. KH6B

I have 2 of the Ailunce HD1 radios, although they do have GPS built in, they do not have APRS built into them.

RC
WH6FQE

shoan butler

Ok good deal. Are you talking about a AGW packet pro kinda set up?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2019 2:41 PM
To: aprsisce@...
Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Ailunce HD1 GPS to Aprsisce

I did find the following pages, but you need more than just the radio to make it work.

shoan butler

I was really trying to get the radio to transmit real time tracking on my aprs

Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2019 4:03 PM

I don’t believe this radio is capable of true APRS, more like a beacon only transmission.

It’s similar to my AnyTone 868 DMR radio with the built-in GPS feature.

Even after the purchase of my 868, the built-in GPS wasn’t available until a later issued firmware update. After

that was loaded and I turned on the GPS “switch” on the radio itself, I still had to go to my established Brandmeister

account Dashboard and enable things to make the GPS reporting work. This is where one would choose

their APRS symbol.

All that accomplishes is to allow the 868’s GPS signal to migrate onto the APRS-IS backbone and show up on

APRS.FI, APRSDIRECT.COM and FindU. That’s all that happens.

Hope this clarifies, maybe, hopefully the answers. Hey, correct me if I’m wrong!

Glenn-KF0ED

Sent from Windows Mail

Sent: ‎Saturday‎, ‎April‎ ‎20‎, ‎2019 ‎2‎:‎43‎ ‎PM
To: aprsisce@...

[Attachment(s) from shoan butler included below]

From what I read, it appears that the radio can send GPS data to another HD1, but I'm not sure about that.  I may have read about some work to port position information from a DMR repeater to the APRS-IS similar! to D-PRS, but I'm not even sure of that recollection.

Greg D

Wait, you had to go to their website to enable the GPS to work??  I am really puzzled as to the data path those GPS coordinates take to get to aprs-is.  Concerned, perhaps.  Is Brandmeister tracking you through their site somehow?  Does the radio have a cell modem inside?

Greg  KO6TH

kf0ed@... [aprsisce] wrote:

I don’t believe this radio is capable of true APRS, more like a beacon only transmission.

Even after the purchase of my 868, the built-in GPS wasn’t available until a later issued firmware update. After
that was loaded and I turned on the GPS “switch” on the radio itself, I still had to go to my established Brandmeister
account Dashboard and enable things to make the GPS reporting work. This is where one would choose
their APRS symbol.

All that accomplishes is to allow the 868’s GPS signal to migrate onto the APRS-IS backbone and show up on

Hope this clarifies, maybe, hopefully the answers. Hey, correct me if I’m wrong!

Glenn-KF0ED

Sent from Windows Mail

From what I read, it appears that the radio can send GPS data to another HD1, but I'm not sure about that.  I may have read about some work to port position information from a DMR repeater to the APRS-IS similar! to D-PRS, but I'm not even sure of that recollection.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

From what I read, the GPS data is "texted" to a certain destination (ID 5057).   I suspect this migrates through the "magic" of the DMR network interconnects from which Brandmeister extracts it, reformats it into APRS-IS packets, and injects it into the APRS-IS network.  This understanding is derived from the following quotes:

https://groups.io/g/APRS-CANADA/message/4 says

Each DMR radio vendor has their own format for GPS position reporting. This is not an issue for Motorola, Hytera, and Tytera GPS-equipped radios because BrandMeister can pass your report to the dstar.su server for formatting and transfer to APRS.

And

Once registered and set up you should be able to send GPS data to ID 5057
Some radios allow auto send every X minutes others allow you to send your position via a text. Both seem to work well on BM network.

Further, it appears that some level of APRS-IS messaging is also supported.

You can also send and receive messages over APRS by sending a text to 5057
Call sign ssid message

Note capitals for call sign 
E.g
2E1AVX hello James
Or
M0JFP-7 hello James

Be aware that if your radio can be configured to auto-send the GPS data, this transmission apparently only contains your DMR ID number and not your amateur radio callsign.  In some countries (like the US), this does not meet the ID requirements of your license.

There is no provision for sending your ham radio call sign along with your position report so unlike with APRS, Part 97 ID requirements are not being met if your radio is making periodic position reports and you are otherwise not conversing and saying your call sign at the required times. Please take this into consideration if you activate GPS position reporting in your DMR radio and take action to stay in compliance.

On 4/20/2019 4:55 PM, Greg D ko6th.greg@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Wait, you had to go to their website to enable the GPS to work??  I am really puzzled as to the data path those GPS coordinates take to get to aprs-is.  Concerned, perhaps.  Is Brandmeister tracking you through their site somehow?  Does the radio have a cell modem inside?

Greg  KO6TH

their APRS symbol.

Glenn-KF0ED

Sent from Windows Mail

RC Anderson, Ph.D. KH6B

Greg,

The GPS will work between HD1 radios on its own, but it wont send it out to APRS.fi without setting it up over on the BrandMeister site.

And yes, Lynn is correct, it doe NOT transmit your callsign, only the DMR ID, so it does not cover the ID requirements here in the US.

RC
WH6FQE

shoan butler

No greg, actually how all this curiosity got started, i downloaded this aprs program and watched a couple videos on how the whole thing was set up and in each video there was a radio attached to the computer that the program was running off of tuned in to the aprs frequency 144.390. So im trying to copy that set up so i can use the full potential of this aprs system and i dont have a clue what direction to go so basically " i have no idea what I'm doing or how to navigate through this period!!!!

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 4:56 PM, Greg D ko6th.greg@... [aprsisce]
wrote:

Greg  KO6TH

their APRS symbol.

Glenn-KF0ED

Sent from Windows Mail

shoan butler

Glenn maybe you can help me clarify what the AGW packet software is used for and how to integrate all that together with the aprs system. Like i said, I'm interested in using the system but i have no idea how to use it

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 4:56 PM, Greg D ko6th.greg@... [aprsisce]
wrote:

Greg  KO6TH

their APRS symbol.

Glenn-KF0ED

Sent from Windows Mail

shoan butler

Ok gotcha RC, so i need to get something like a little baofeng and a sound card to run that kind of set up. One guy had a scanner and a sound card hooked up to his computer using aprsisce

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 5:19 PM, wh6fqe@... [aprsisce]
wrote:

Greg,

The GPS will work between HD1 radios on its own, but it wont send it out to APRS.fi without setting it up over on the BrandMeister site.

And yes, Lynn is correct, it doe NOT transmit your callsign, only the DMR ID, so it does not cover the ID requirements here in the US.

RC
WH6FQE

shoan butler

KD8RTT did a segment on setting up an IGate for aprs. What does that do exactly because it looks like an integral part of using aprs

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 6:09 PM, shoan butler
wrote:
Ok gotcha RC, so i need to get something like a little baofeng and a sound card to run that kind of set up. One guy had a scanner and a sound card hooked up to his computer using aprsisce

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 5:19 PM, wh6fqe@... [aprsisce]
wrote:

Greg,

RC
WH6FQE

kf0ed@...

The DMR registrant has to log onto their Brandmeister account and, I should have added before, to then go to
the Self-Care page and enable from there. And also on my 868’s CPS program, there is additional items to set
the transcvr itself.

There is much to finagle with for a simple beacon of my DMR HT’s position.

Now, as for my fixed station APRS activity, here’s the hardware I use for my KF0ED beacon: AEA PK-900, Kenwood V-71
and the software when using the station for more than mere beaconing, either APRSIS32 or UIView32.

I can also use APRSIS32 and the built-in soundcard for my Icom 9100. I have sold off my SignaLink, which is a
very nice piece of equipment.

Glenn-KF0ED

Sent from Windows Mail

Sent: ‎Saturday‎, ‎April‎ ‎20‎, ‎2019 ‎4‎:‎09‎ ‎PM

From what I read, the GPS data is "texted" to a certain destination (ID 5057).   I suspect this migrates through the "magic" of the DMR network interconnects from which Brandmeister extracts it, reformats it into APRS-IS packets, and injects it into the APRS-IS network.  This understanding is derived from the following quotes:

https://groups.io/g/APRS-CANADA/message/4 says

Each DMR radio vendor has their own format for GPS position reporting. This is not an issue for Motorola, Hytera, and Tytera GPS-equipped radios because BrandMeister can pass your report to the dstar.su server for formatting and transfer to APRS.

And

Once registered and set up you should be able to send GPS data to ID 5057
Some radios allow auto send every X minutes others allow you to send your position via a text. Both seem to work well on BM network.

Further, it appears that some level of APRS-IS messaging is also supported.

You can also send and receive messages over APRS by sending a text to 5057
Call sign ssid message

Note capitals for call sign 
E.g
2E1AVX hello James
Or
M0JFP-7 hello James

Be aware that if your radio can be configured to auto-send the GPS data, this transmission apparently only contains your DMR ID number and not your amateur radio callsign.  In some countries (like the US), this does not meet the ID requirements of your license.

There is no provision for sending your ham radio call sign along with your position report so unlike with APRS, Part 97 ID requirements are not being met if your radio is making periodic position reports and you are otherwise not conversing and saying your call sign at the required times. Please take this into consideration if you activate GPS position reporting in your DMR radio and take action to stay in compliance.

On 4/20/2019 4:55 PM, Greg D ko6th.greg@... [aprsisce] wrote:
<TinFoilHat_mode>

</TinFoilHat_mode>

Greg  KO6TH

their APRS symbol.

Glenn-KF0ED

Sent from Windows Mail

RC Anderson, Ph.D. KH6B

Since the Ailunce HD1 doesn't have true APRS built into it, I turned the GPS off on mine. I use it as a backup DMR radio now and have switched over to an Anytone DT-878UV which does have true ARPS built in it and it is able to transmit the APRS packets on either VHF or DMR.

Since switching over to the 878, I am extremely pleased with it. I do still like my HD1 because it is almost waterproof, is extremely durable, and transmits at a higher wattage than the others, but with it not being able to do true APRS I had to let it take a back-seat.

By the way, I can now fit the entire worldwide DMR contact list on the 878 since it holds 150,000 contacts instead of just 100,000. Plus it does roaming, so it can be set up to automatically switch between repeaters as you drive in and out of range of them.

RC
WH6FQE

RC Anderson, Ph.D. KH6B

Sorry that should have been Anytone AT-D878UV. Trying to do too many things at once here and not concentrating.

RC
WH6FQE

thanos bouloutis <bouloutisath@...>

Ok.thanks sorry 73 bye

Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2019 1:35 AM

Sorry that should have been Anytone AT-D878UV. Trying to do too many things at once here and not concentrating.

RC

WH6FQE