GKRELAY to GPS TCP server

Keehan Dowd

Hi Lynn and group,

I want to toss the following out as a possible enhancement/wish list item please....

I had a need a while back to run multiple GPS driven applications and in my case, I'm running APRSIS32 with my GPS data relayed via GKRELAY on my TT4.   Do you think there's any appetite to have APRSIS32 strip the KISS relayed GPS data back to it's native NEMA protocol and provide it via a TCP port for other applications to digest?

Thanks and regards,

Keehan - VA6KD

Fred Hillhouse

In the meantime:

You might be able to run your NMEA from the TT4/GPS into serial port sharing software. Then not only APRSIS32 can use it, but also other applications requiring a COM port. The COM will be virtual but it works. I did something similar with an OT3. I was able to use the data with APRSIS32, a GIS application, an OBDII application, and a couple of other items.

I have done a couple of different things to share a GPS. One was to use an old Android phone and load “Share GPS”. This allows sharing the GPS across a network. The other thing I did was connect a GPS to a Wi-Fi to serial adapter. The adapter was homemade using an ESP8266 and GPS module.

On my wishlist, the ability for APRSISMO to use a network GPS. Then I could use a GPSless tablet. It may be possible now but I haven’t found how yet. ;)

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

I want to toss the following out as a possible enhancement/wish list item please....

I had a need a while back to run multiple GPS driven applications and in my case, I'm running APRSIS32 with my GPS data relayed via GKRELAY on my TT4.   Do you think there's any appetite to have APRSIS32 strip the KISS relayed GPS data back to it's native NEMA protocol and provide it via a TCP port for other applications to digest?

Thanks and regards,

Keehan - VA6KD

sbd sbd

I would look into GPSD which is designed to do this sort of thing. I have a GPS unit into an RPi running GPSD, that feeds NTP to creat a time source on my network and also feeds NMEA data to any device that can connect over the network. So APRSIS32 is picking up the GPS data from the gPSD system

Steve

G6UIM

I want to toss the following out as a possible enhancement/wish list item please....

I had a need a while back to run multiple GPS driven applications and in my case, I'm running APRSIS32 with my GPS data relayed via GKRELAY on my TT4.   Do you think there's any appetite to have APRSIS32 strip the KISS relayed GPS data back to it's native NEMA protocol and provide it via a TCP port for other applications to digest?

Thanks and regards,

Keehan - VA6KD

Keehan Dowd

Thanks Steve and Fred for your suggestions. I'm quite familiar with gpsd and taking the serial GPS data from my TT4 and feeding a gpsd instance with it. What changed for me though is that my TT4 now resides at the very back of my vehicle and I have a single Bluetooth connection (Look Ma! No wires!) to my tablet/laptop. It would be easy enough to add a 2nd Bluetooth serial module at the TT4 just for the raw NEMA data, but I figured if I've already got KISS wrapped GPS data available, why not see if I can unwrap it at the laptop end...

Cheers,
Keehan - VA6KD

Rob Giuliano

In reality.  I think you can have multiple devices connected as "receivers", as long as only 1 is sending.  I have done this on other serial devices, but never tried it on a GPS.

GPSd is a good option as well, but direct connect into 2 devices should be possible for receive.