GKRELAY to GPS TCP server

Keehan Dowd

Hi Lynn and group,

I want to toss the following out as a possible enhancement/wish list item please....

I had a need a while back to run multiple GPS driven applications and in my case, I'm running APRSIS32 with my GPS data relayed via GKRELAY on my TT4.   Do you think there's any appetite to have APRSIS32 strip the KISS relayed GPS data back to it's native NEMA protocol and provide it via a TCP port for other applications to digest?

Thanks and regards,

Keehan - VA6KD

Fred Hillhouse

In the meantime:

You might be able to run your NMEA from the TT4/GPS into serial port sharing software. Then not only APRSIS32 can use it, but also other applications requiring a COM port. The COM will be virtual but it works. I did something similar with an OT3. I was able to use the data with APRSIS32, a GIS application, an OBDII application, and a couple of other items.

I have done a couple of different things to share a GPS. One was to use an old Android phone and load “Share GPS”. This allows sharing the GPS across a network. The other thing I did was connect a GPS to a Wi-Fi to serial adapter. The adapter was homemade using an ESP8266 and GPS module.

On my wishlist, the ability for APRSISMO to use a network GPS. Then I could use a GPSless tablet. It may be possible now but I haven’t found how yet. ;)

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:03 AM
To: aprsisce@...
Subject: [aprsisce] GKRELAY to GPS TCP server

Hi Lynn and group,

I want to toss the following out as a possible enhancement/wish list item please....

I had a need a while back to run multiple GPS driven applications and in my case, I'm running APRSIS32 with my GPS data relayed via GKRELAY on my TT4.   Do you think there's any appetite to have APRSIS32 strip the KISS relayed GPS data back to it's native NEMA protocol and provide it via a TCP port for other applications to digest?

Thanks and regards,

Keehan - VA6KD

Virus-free. www.avast.com

sbd sbd

I would look into GPSD which is designed to do this sort of thing. I have a GPS unit into an RPi running GPSD, that feeds NTP to creat a time source on my network and also feeds NMEA data to any device that can connect over the network. So APRSIS32 is picking up the GPS data from the gPSD system

Steve

G6UIM

Sent: 29 November 2018 21:27
Subject: RE: [aprsisce] GKRELAY to GPS TCP server

In the meantime:

You might be able to run your NMEA from the TT4/GPS into serial port sharing software. Then not only APRSIS32 can use it, but also other applications requiring a COM port. The COM will be virtual but it works. I did something similar with an OT3. I was able to use the data with APRSIS32, a GIS application, an OBDII application, and a couple of other items.

I have done a couple of different things to share a GPS. One was to use an old Android phone and load “Share GPS”. This allows sharing the GPS across a network. The other thing I did was connect a GPS to a Wi-Fi to serial adapter. The adapter was homemade using an ESP8266 and GPS module.

On my wishlist, the ability for APRSISMO to use a network GPS. Then I could use a GPSless tablet. It may be possible now but I haven’t found how yet. ;)

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

Hi Lynn and group,

Thanks and regards,

Keehan - VA6KD

Keehan Dowd

Thanks Steve and Fred for your suggestions. I'm quite familiar with gpsd and taking the serial GPS data from my TT4 and feeding a gpsd instance with it. What changed for me though is that my TT4 now resides at the very back of my vehicle and I have a single Bluetooth connection (Look Ma! No wires!) to my tablet/laptop. It would be easy enough to add a 2nd Bluetooth serial module at the TT4 just for the raw NEMA data, but I figured if I've already got KISS wrapped GPS data available, why not see if I can unwrap it at the laptop end...

Cheers,
Keehan - VA6KD

Rob Giuliano

In reality.  I think you can have multiple devices connected as "receivers", as long as only 1 is sending.  I have done this on other serial devices, but never tried it on a GPS.

GPSd is a good option as well, but direct connect into 2 devices should be possible for receive.

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2018 7:48 PM

I would look into GPSD which is designed to do this sort of thing. I have a GPS unit into an RPi running GPSD, that feeds NTP to creat a time source on my network and also feeds NMEA data to any device that can connect over the network. So APRSIS32 is picking up the GPS data from the gPSD system

Steve
G6UIM

In the meantime:

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH

Hi Lynn and group,

Thanks and regards,
Keehan - VA6KD

Rob Giuliano

I think the issue will still be format.  You really want both devides that need NMEA data to see it as raw input.  Feeding it into the TT4 and back out through Bluetooth will have it in KISS format.  That will be the problem.  Feeding the GPS into both devices, either through Bluetooth or direct wire (maybe direct wire to TT4 and 'teed' to through a bluetooth module to the laptop) might be the best option.  A few BT devices will allow 2 simultaeous connections where both are serial - but probably not many.

GPS share could pull GPS data into the computer through a serial port, then pass it out over Bluetooth, possibly over the same connection as the KISS port on Bluetooth.  Just theory though. 

You have posed the question on the computer side, but have you contacted Byon .  Since the data is one direction, it may also be possible for multiple devices to receive the raw Bluetooth GPS, but then Byon would need to decode shared KISS and raw NMEA data on the same Bluetooth device (input port stream). 

Food for thought.

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:13 PM

Thanks Steve and Fred for your suggestions. I'm quite familiar with gpsd and taking the serial GPS data from my TT4 and feeding a gpsd instance with it. What changed for me though is that my TT4 now resides at the very back of my vehicle and I have a single Bluetooth connection (Look Ma! No wires!) to my tablet/laptop. It would be easy enough to add a 2nd Bluetooth serial module at the TT4 just for the raw NEMA data, but I figured if I've already got KISS wrapped GPS data available, why not see if I can unwrap it at the laptop end...

Cheers,
Keehan - VA6KD

sbd sbd

You can connect multiple serial leads, it was done a lot for Packet, but the data is addressed. Multiple TNCs connected all able to communicate. Search for Netrom diode matrix

steve

G6UIM

Sent: 30 November 2018 02:41
Subject: Re: [aprsisce] GKRELAY to GPS TCP server

In reality.  I think you can have multiple devices connected as "receivers", as long as only 1 is sending.  I have done this on other serial devices, but never tried it on a GPS.

GPSd is a good option as well, but direct connect into 2 devices should be possible for receive.

Robert Giuliano

KB8RCO

From: "'Steve Daniels' steve@... [aprsisce]" <aprsisce@...>
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2018 7:48 PM

Steve

G6UIM

In the meantime:

I have done a couple of different things to share a GPS. One was to use an old Android phone and load “Share GPS”. This allows sharing the GPS across a network. The other thing I did was connect a GPS to a Wi-Fi to serial adapter.. The adapter was homemade using an ESP8266 and GPS module.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

Hi Lynn and group,

Thanks and regards,

Keehan - VA6KD