IS to RF

Lynn Deffenbaugh

These types of questions are best asked in the APRSISCE Yahoo group because I believe that for every question asked, there's probably a dozen people interested in the answer.  I'm copying my response to the group.  That said...

APRSISCE/32, in the Development version only, supports gating packets from the APRS-IS to local RF based on a filter setting. This is experimental at this point, and is not persistent, so you need to re-do the sequence after any IGate restart.  To set up this -IS to RF gating, follow this procedure.

1) Hit Control-G with the main window focused.  This will bring up a "Test Filter" window where you enter your desired filter.  In your case, the filter would be b/VE2SE-2.

2) Once the filter is entered, a new FilterTest trace window will come up.  I encourage you to monitor this window for some period of time (hours or days) to ensure that ONLY your desired packets are being selected by the filter.  Otherwise, go back to the Control-G window and tweak the filter.

3) Once you are satisfied with the filter setting, you can promote the filter to an IGate filter by typing Contol-I (eye) with the main window focused.  You will be asked to confirm your intent to set the IGate filter.  After clicking Yes, all filter-selected packets should be transmitted to RF as 3rd party packets.

4) Once you have confirmed your gating intent, a new IGate(Filter) trace log will open that will show all packets transmitted due to this setup.

Note that eventually I will be supporting multiple filters for such gating and will be making the filters persistent.  I also hope to provide rate-limiting via a so-called "Leaky Bucket" implementation (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaky_bucket).

PS.  APRSISCE/32 extends the standard APRS-IS filter with a plus (+) operator.  Whereas normal APRS-IS filters are additive (any packet matching any term is passed) and provides a subtractive feature (-term) to exclude packets matching a term, my plus operator (+term) requires that all selected packets MUST match the plus term.  In other words, normal APRS-IS terms are joined with "OR".  The minus operator is joined with a "AND NOT".  My plus operator is joined with "AND".

On 11/8/2018 12:45 PM, Jean-Pierre Desilets wrote:
Hi Lynn
I have my  weather station ve2se-2  connected  to an  Ubuntu machine
sending  WX beacon rf(144.39) & internet (aprs is ).
On a windows machine i run  aprsis32   ve2se-10   igate   with filter  b/ve2se-2    &  rf  10.1473  mhz(robust packet).
How i can configure aprsis32  gating  ve2se-2  from internet  to rf   via ve2se-10  ?
Better having  a WX beacon than a dummy beacon on  10.1473 mhz.
Tnx for you help
73's de Jean-Pierre ve2se

Randy Allen

Could this be used to gate NWS weather warnings (Tornado, Severe thunderstorms) from the IS to local RF?  I.e. gate any object marked ILNTOR for instance to RF, preferably with just one hop.

There used to be someone (probably 10+ years ago) that was doing that in the Dayton area, but I was never able to track them down or find out how they were doing it.  The bearing and distance information from the object provided good information when out and about in those conditions that you can't get from NOAA WX radio or local media.

Randy KAØAZS

Randy Allen

Could this be used to gate NWS weather warnings (Tornado, Severe thunderstorms) from the IS to local RF?  I.e. gate any object marked ILNTOR for instance to RF, preferably with just one hop.

There used to be someone (probably 10 years ago) that was doing that in the Dayton area, but I was never able to track them down or find out how they were doing it.  The bearing and distance information from the object provided good information when out and about in those conditions that you can't get from NOAA WX radio or local media.

Randy KAØAZS

Mark, KE6BB

About 5 years ago I was driving through Flagstaff, Az. when the weather ahead began to concern me.  I glanced at my tablet PC (running APRSIS32 on RF only) and was pleased to see an NWS thunderstorm box just south of my route moving away from my route.  Apparently they were gating ONLY local NWS from IS to RF.  It was VERY useful information.

Mark
KE6BB

Could this be used to gate NWS weather warnings (Tornado, Severe thunderstorms) from the IS to local RF?  I.e. gate any object marked ILNTOR for instance to RF, preferably with just one hop.

There used to be someone (probably 10 years ago) that was doing that in the Dayton area, but I was never able to track them down or find out how they were doing it.  The bearing and distance information from the object provided good information when out and about in those conditions that you can't get from NOAA WX radio or local media.

Randy KAØAZS

Brad Ko6kL

During the recent flooding and storm surge in North Carolina the NWS flood warning zones were marked on the aprs map two counties were hot for quite a few days so someone's doing it back there as well
Could use it out in California for the fires
Ko6kL