ISS pass entry not being gated

Yatharth Verma

Hi!
Exactly 30 days ago I had asked the following:
My sound modem is able to decode the following string from an ISS pass:
1:Fm RS0ISS To CQ [13:37:20R] [+++]
>ARISS - International Space Station
but APRSIS32 is not gating it, where as I can see other users gated entries of the ISS from the same pass.

After a month of fiddling and observing I have found out that -
The ISS igate entries being shown in the stream are of some other pass

So now my question is that why is my ISS decoded string shown above not being gated?
1. My APRSIS32 beacons are shown in the IS stream
2. UZ7HO sound modem is working fine

Do I need to add any filter or edit the XML file for the format of the above shown string?

Kindly advice, am losing the plot..

73 de VU3NUF
Yatharth

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Ok, I'm assuming that the VU3NUF instance is the one using UZ7HO and a radio that is tuned to the ISS APRS frequency.

After checking your raw packets at the following URL, I would suggest that you not beacon your GridSquare in a status packet and (presumably) real coordinates in a normal beacon.  This will cause some APRS software to jitter your station between the imprecise GridSquare and the lat/lon coordinates.  In Configure / Status... simply uncheck the Status Report Enabled checkbox.

https://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VU3NUF

How do you know that your received RS0ISS packet is not being gated?  Remember, the APRS-IS is dupe filtered, so if some other station gates the same packet that you received, you won't see it at aprs.fi.  You did not include a timestamp of any recently received RS0ISS packets, so we can't check the raw packets at the following URL to see if any other station gated one that you received.

https://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=RS0ISS&limit=1000&view=normal

If you check your IGate trace log, does it have anything in it?  Any packet gated from RF to the APRS-IS should appear in this trace log,   If you further have Enables / Logging / File Enabled, then all output to this trace log will appear in your APRSIS32.LOG files.  Simply search these logs for RFtoIS to see if anything has been gated.

There is NO filtering between RF reception and the APRS-IS per the specification.  If you receive a packet on an RF port and have a validated (proper passcode for your callsign) APRS-IS connection, the received packets WILL be delivered to your APRS-IS server.  What happens to them from there is up to the dupe suppression filter.

On 11/7/2018 10:06 AM, Yatharth Verma halfcircle24@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Hi!
Exactly 30 days ago I had asked the following:
My sound modem is able to decode the following string from an ISS pass:
1:Fm RS0ISS To CQ [13:37:20R] [+++]
>ARISS - International Space Station
but APRSIS32 is not gating it, where as I can see other users gated entries of the ISS from the same pass.

After a month of fiddling and observing I have found out that -
The ISS igate entries being shown in the stream are of some other pass

So now my question is that why is my ISS decoded string shown above not being gated?
1. My APRSIS32 beacons are shown in the IS stream
2. UZ7HO sound modem is working fine

Do I need to add any filter or edit the XML file for the format of the above shown string?

Kindly advice, am losing the plot..

73 de VU3NUF
Yatharth

Steve Black

After checking your raw packets at the following URL, I would suggest that you not beacon your GridSquare in a status packet and (presumably) real coordinates in a normal beacon.  This will cause some APRS software to jitter your station between the imprecise GridSquare and the lat/lon coordinates.
I have seen a station "jitter" as described above for over a year. Drives me crazy. I just sent this to him with   directions and fully expect it to solve the problem. His was as you discribed it with two locations one GPS coordinates and the other by grid square. Thanks for the insight. Steve kb1chu

Sent from the smartphone I said I'd  never get.

Yatharth Verma

Hi!
Unchecking the Gridsquare option in Status Report under Configure, resolved my original problem of the ISS packet stream not showing up on aprs.fi. Thank you!

But now there's another problem - the ISS packet which was IGated once is showing up in the stream of RAW packets of aprs.fi every 1 hour. Shouldn't this packet be visible just one time, only as soon as it is IGated?

73 de Yatharth
VU3NUF

On Thursday, November 8, 2018, 4:08:15 AM GMT+5:30, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Ok, I'm assuming that the VU3NUF instance is the one using UZ7HO and a radio that is tuned to the ISS APRS frequency.

After checking your raw packets at the following URL, I would suggest that you not beacon your GridSquare in a status packet and (presumably) real coordinates in a normal beacon.  This will cause some APRS software to jitter your station between the imprecise GridSquare and the lat/lon coordinates.  In Configure / Status... simply uncheck the Status Report Enabled checkbox.

https://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VU3NUF

How do you know that your received RS0ISS packet is not being gated?  Remember, the APRS-IS is dupe filtered, so if some other station gates the same packet that you received, you won't see it at aprs.fi.  You did not include a timestamp of any recently received RS0ISS packets, so we can't check the raw packets at the following URL to see if any other station gated one that you received.

https://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=RS0ISS&limit=1000&view=normal

If you check your IGate trace log, does it have anything in it?  Any packet gated from RF to the APRS-IS should appear in this trace log,   If you further have Enables / Logging / File Enabled, then all output to this trace log will appear in your APRSIS32.LOG files.  Simply search these logs for RFtoIS to see if anything has been gated.

There is NO filtering between RF reception and the APRS-IS per the specification.  If you receive a packet on an RF port and have a validated (proper passcode for your callsign) APRS-IS connection, the received packets WILL be delivered to your APRS-IS server.  What happens to them from there is up to the dupe suppression filter.

On 11/7/2018 10:06 AM, Yatharth Verma halfcircle24@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Hi!
Exactly 30 days ago I had asked the following:
My sound modem is able to decode the following string from an ISS pass:
1:Fm RS0ISS To CQ [13:37:20R] [+++]
>ARISS - International Space Station
but APRSIS32 is not gating it, where as I can see other users gated entries of the ISS from the same pass.

After a month of fiddling and observing I have found out that -
The ISS igate entries being shown in the stream are of some other pass

So now my question is that why is my ISS decoded string shown above not being gated?
1. My APRSIS32 beacons are shown in the IS stream
2. UZ7HO sound modem is working fine

Do I need to add any filter or edit the XML file for the format of the above shown string?

Kindly advice, am losing the plot..

73 de VU3NUF
Yatharth

Rob Giuliano

APRSIS.FI will receive the packet if gated.
The packets you seem to refer to are statistics about your station's IGATE activity.

Your station must be sending them at 1 hour intervals.

> [...]

On 11/7/2018 10:06 AM, Yatharth Verma halfcircle24@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Hi!
Exactly 30 days ago I had asked the following:
My sound modem is able to decode the following string from an ISS pass:
1:Fm RS0ISS To CQ [13:37:20R] [+++]
>ARISS - International Space Station
but APRSIS32 is not gating it, where as I can see other users gated entries of the ISS from the same pass.

After a month of fiddling and observing I have found out that -
The ISS igate entries being shown in the stream are of some other pass

So now my question is that why is my ISS decoded string shown above not being gated?
1. My APRSIS32 beacons are shown in the IS stream
2. UZ7HO sound modem is working fine

Do I need to add any filter or edit the XML file for the format of the above shown string?

The below are my station statistics which are sent at 1 hour intervals and found in the aprs.fi raw packets (fine, no issues):

APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2SWEDEN2:@162054h3043.84N/07647.85E-Hi de Baba! Chandigarh, INDIA... 73

But below is the entry which is IGated just once during an ISS pass but is seen in the aprs.fi raw packets every hour:

APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2SWEDEN2:

Any setting on APRSIS32 to stop this from showing on aprs.fi every one hour?

73 de Yatharth
VU3NUF

> [...]

On 11/7/2018 10:06 AM, Yatharth Verma halfcircle24@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Hi!
Exactly 30 days ago I had asked the following:
My sound modem is able to decode the following string from an ISS pass:
1:Fm RS0ISS To CQ [13:37:20R] [+++]
>ARISS - International Space Station
but APRSIS32 is not gating it, where as I can see other users gated entries of the ISS from the same pass.

After a month of fiddling and observing I have found out that -
The ISS igate entries being shown in the stream are of some other pass

So now my question is that why is my ISS decoded string shown above not being gated?
1. My APRSIS32 beacons are shown in the IS stream
2. UZ7HO sound modem is working fine

Do I need to add any filter or edit the XML file for the format of the above shown string?

When APRSISCE/32 is configured as an IGate (both an APRS-IS port and an RF port), the

On 11/26/2018 11:34 AM, Yatharth Verma halfcircle24@... [aprsisce] wrote:
> [...]

On 11/7/2018 10:06 AM, Yatharth Verma halfcircle24@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Hi!
Exactly 30 days ago I had asked the following:
My sound modem is able to decode the following string from an ISS pass:
1:Fm RS0ISS To CQ [13:37:20R] [+++]
>ARISS - International Space Station
but APRSIS32 is not gating it, where as I can see other users gated entries of the ISS from the same pass.

After a month of fiddling and observing I have found out that -
The ISS igate entries being shown in the stream are of some other pass

So now my question is that why is my ISS decoded string shown above not being gated?
1. My APRSIS32 beacons are shown in the IS stream
2. UZ7HO sound modem is working fine

Do I need to add any filter or edit the XML file for the format of the above shown string?

I think you are getting the message types confused.

Highlighted in green below is the "APRS Beacon" with position information (no statistics here) which is sent at the Beacon Interval:
APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2SWEDEN2:@162054h3043.84N/07647.85E-Hi de Baba! Chandigarh, INDIA... 73

The other line (highlighted in yellow) is the statistics message which you are sending:
APWW10,TCPIP*,qAC,T2SWEDEN2:

Your station statistics are:
     Message Count (MSG_CNT=0)
     Local stations Count (LOC_CNT=0)
     Direct Station Count (DIR_CNT=0)
     RF Stations heard Count (RF_CNT=0)
That means "your station" did not hear any RF in the past hour.

I believe these "Statistics" are only sent via the internet, not RF.
Lynn would have to verify.  He can tell you how to turn off.