Auto start

brian cochran

I've added aprsisce to the startup folder in win 10 but it doesn't work it acts like a new installation and short cut in the folder does nothing

I would like aprsisce to auto start after a reboot since it's on a pc at a remote site.

Has anyone successfully done this?

Jack Brian Cochran WC4J
703-965-6011
WC4J@...

Don Poaps

I should say, I copied the shortcut to my startup menu. Mine works

Don va7qu

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 10:44 Don Poaps <va7dgp@...> wrote:
I copied my Icon to my startup menu. It starts but I need to figure out the transmit part. Running Win 10 64.

Don va7qu

--
Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC

Winlink: va7qu@...
Subject://wl2k

--
Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC

Winlink: va7qu@...

Rob Giuliano

With newer operating systems, many things happen at the same time with new processors and multthreading.
I find that the "Start Programs" are more for legacy work.

I prefer to start things with "Task Scheduler" at startup.  This can be found in "Windows Administrative Tools" in the menu on Windows 10.

In "Task Scheduler Library" add a task ("Create Basic Task" in right pane)and set it up to start
  KEY: be sure to set the "Start In (Optional)" directory to your path where APRSIS32.xml is.

Once setup, choose edit settings and on the Triggers tab set "Delay task for:" to like 30 seconds or 1 minute to ensure Windows has started.  You may reduce it later to see if it can be started immediately.

I've added aprsisce to the startup folder in win 10 but it doesn't work it acts like a new installation and short cut in the folder does nothing

I would like aprsisce to auto start after a reboot since it's on a pc at a remote site.

Has anyone successfully done this?

Jack Brian Cochran WC4J
703-965-6011
WC4J@...

Lynn Deffenbaugh

It sounds like you put a copy of the APRSIS32.EXE into the startup folder instead of a shortcut pointing to APRSIS32.EXE.

On 4/1/2018 1:42 PM, Jack B Cochran WC4J@... [aprsisce] wrote:
I've added aprsisce to the startup folder in win 10 but it doesn't work it acts like a new installation and short cut in the folder does nothing

I would like aprsisce to auto start after a reboot since it's on a pc at a remote site.

Has anyone successfully done this?

Jack Brian Cochran WC4J
703-965-6011

brian cochran

I tried both ways usually the shortcut works but not this time. I'm scratching my head on this.

Tried making it a task that starts 1 minute after logon but 2 minutes after it starts the system crashes. I'm going to do a freash install and try again

Jack Brian Cochran WC4J
703-965-6011
WC4J@...

It sounds like you put a copy of the APRSIS32.EXE into the startup folder instead of a shortcut pointing to APRSIS32.EXE.

On 4/1/2018 1:42 PM, Jack B Cochran WC4J@... [aprsisce] wrote:
I've added aprsisce to the startup folder in win 10 but it doesn't work it acts like a new installation and short cut in the folder does nothing

I would like aprsisce to auto start after a reboot since it's on a pc at a remote site.

Has anyone successfully done this?

Jack Brian Cochran WC4J
703-965-6011

Rob Giuliano

Was APRSIS32.exe ever working properly on the computer without the "auto start"?
Are you placing the APRSIS32.exe file in a folder that is read/write?

Windows has become very particular about what goes into c:\Program Files and c:\Program Files (x86).

For that reason, it is recommended you create a folder structure outside those directories:
Examples:
   C:\AprsIS32\APRSIS32.exe
   C:\Radio\Aprsis32\APRSIS32.exe
   C:\APRS\Aprsis32\APRSIS32.exe
   C:\Radio\APRS\Aprsis32\APRSIS32.exe

Some have copied the APRSIS32.exe file to the desktop or their "home" directory, but that limits access (typically not a problem unless you have multiple users of the same APRSIS app).

Once the App is working properly, the auto start method should also work, but I still recommend Task Scheduler as you have more control.  These files are in xml format, so are fairly easy to troubleshoot.  Another key is the logon user.

It sounds like you put a copy of the APRSIS32.EXE into the startup folder instead of a shortcut pointing to APRSIS32.EXE.

On 4/1/2018 1:42 PM, Jack B Cochran WC4J@... [aprsisce] wrote:
I've added aprsisce to the startup folder in win 10 but it doesn't work it acts like a new installation and short cut in the folder does nothing

I would like aprsisce to auto start after a reboot since it's on a pc at a remote site.

Has anyone successfully done this?

Jack Brian Cochran WC4J
703-965-6011

brian cochran

And when added to task scheduler the system crashes after 5 minutes so no joy there

I guess that it's not going to work on this pc I'll find another as after this works I need to run aprs in a second instance since aprsisce/32 doesn't handle dual port

Jack Brian Cochran WC4J
703-965-6011
WC4J@...