Maps


Matthew Esposito
 

Any way to configure this program to access maps I already own from terrain navigator?? They are awesome high res maps and I have the rights to print and edit for personal use. So allowing aprsisce to access the file shouldn't be a legal issue.
Basically I spend 8 months a
Year traveling the western usa and even though it's a heap of data I need massive amounts of map tiles.

Matthew KK6WBY


Rob Giuliano
 

If the map tiles follow the same configuration as Open Street Maps, there are 2 ways you can use them.  Unfortunately, I am no expert on either:
1. Create the correct directory structure on you device and copy all your existing files into it
   point the app to that directory structure and using a non-functional web site in the setup.
   NOTE:  you must manually update this directory structure to keep it up to date
2. Create your own map server for these tiles.
   I have no clue how to do this, but if you can create a server that does its owns updates
   the map tiles can be as up to date as the ones on your server.

I have done #1 (in sorts).  I have old map tiles from a server that is no longer active.  I have moved this map set's directory to several new installations and they are still available. So, APRSIS32 can be configured to continue to use them, but again, there will be no updates. 

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO



From: "Matthew Esposito matthewr.esposito@... [aprsisce]"
To: aprsisce@...
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2017 11:33 PM
Subject: [aprsisce] Maps

 
Any way to configure this program to access maps I already own from terrain navigator?? They are awesome high res maps and I have the rights to print and edit for personal use. So allowing aprsisce to access the file shouldn't be a legal issue.
Basically I spend 8 months a
Year traveling the western usa and even though it's a heap of data I need massive amounts of map tiles.

Matthew KK6WBY



Fred Hillhouse
 

I looked briefly at Terrain Navigator. It looks like it uses the USGS Topo, satellite imagery plus another 60 or so sources. In almost every case when a product uses a wide variety, they commonly use available sources such as OSM and ArcGIS. They may save the data as tiles or use a database format. If they use tiles then you can find them and very likely point APRSIS32 at them, otherwise they can’t be used. Look around your hard drive and you should be able to find the files. They could be sizable.

 

I don’t see the number of tiles or the space they require to be much of an issue these days unless you need terrabytes of data. With the advent of cheap large capacity drives you can fit a lot of tiles. Even the uSD cards hold a lot and they are getting cheaper every day. It would be easy to set up an uSD for Montana and another for Idaho. For my tablet, I run APRSIS32 on a 64GB microSD card. It works very well and I have several tile sets.

 

For APRSIS32:

One way to limit the numbers of tiles downloaded is to limit the maximum zoom level for a tile set. You can even set to minimum but there is little space or quantity advantages. Quite a few tile sets only have tiles to level 15 or 16. If you set to the limit to that number it won’t try to download the next level all the time and when you zoom in, the lower level zoom will be used. If you look closely at the various level of tiles it becomes apparent the same scan was used for several level. For instance, for USGS a 7.5min map was scanned and then the scan was cut up into appropriate zoom levels. There is no new data, just a larger or small view of the data. For OSM tiles, there is new data at some of the very highest zooms. But I find while travelling I don’t need to see house shapes and swimming pools. I can avoid the highest levels in OSM too. I do find level 15 to be about the maximum I need as it is the level where street names are added. Aerials are a different story. For those I tend to want to higher zoom at least when using ArcGIS World Imagery: their level 18 is high resolution. They don’t have higher than 18 though.

 

There is also a common misconception that every tile at every zoom level and for the whole area is required. That is rarely true. Of course I don’t know your particular travel plans but it is unlikely they include every square mile and much of that may be just getting for one stopping point to another. By limiting your focus you may find there is a nice level that will please you. I used to travel between Arkansas and New Hampshire every few months. My total number of tiles and the space required never really added up to much.

 

One disadvantage of using a database for tiles is if the file is corrupted, you may lose access to all maps. In one application I looked at, I am pretty sure they managed two files. It looked like one file was used to point to a specific record within the second one. If either file is corrupted, then both are unusable. Not so with tiles since each is its own entity.

 

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

 

 

From: aprsisce@... [mailto:aprsisce@...]
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2017 11:34 PM
To: aprsisce@...
Subject: [aprsisce] Maps

 

 

Any way to configure this program to access maps I already own from terrain navigator?? They are awesome high res maps and I have the rights to print and edit for personal use. So allowing aprsisce to access the file shouldn't be a legal issue.
Basically I spend 8 months a
Year traveling the western usa and even though it's a heap of data I need massive amounts of map tiles.

Matthew KK6WBY




Matthew Esposito
 

Fred 
  You seem to be the resource I'm looking for. Do you mind if I pick your brain?? If the questions get to daunting for the mail list can we email outside of the list?? 
Basically I don't have a space  issue and I need 100% of Californian maps already downloaded onto my tablet. I'd like to get down to that 15-18 level. I understand it will total in the millions of tiles. I just don't want to spend all
The time sitting and moving the yellow circle until Iv covered all of California. I use terrain navigator on my company laptop and figured if I can just buy the maps from tn I wouldn't  have to download them from OSM. Any suggestions on maps would be great
Matthew

On Mar 28, 2017, at 12:39 AM, 'Fred Hillhouse' fmhillhouse@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

 

I looked briefly at Terrain Navigator. It looks like it uses the USGS Topo, satellite imagery plus another 60 or so sources. In almost every case when a product uses a wide variety, they commonly use available sources such as OSM and ArcGIS. They may save the data as tiles or use a database format. If they use tiles then you can find them and very likely point APRSIS32 at them, otherwise they can’t be used. Look around your hard drive and you should be able to find the files. They could be sizable.

 

I don’t see the number of tiles or the space they require to be much of an issue these days unless you need terrabytes of data. With the advent of cheap large capacity drives you can fit a lot of tiles. Even the uSD cards hold a lot and they are getting cheaper every day. It would be easy to set up an uSD for Montana and another for Idaho. For my tablet, I run APRSIS32 on a 64GB microSD card. It works very well and I have several tile sets.

 

For APRSIS32:

One way to limit the numbers of tiles downloaded is to limit the maximum zoom level for a tile set. You can even set to minimum but there is little space or quantity advantages. Quite a few tile sets only have tiles to level 15 or 16. If you set to the limit to that number it won’t try to download the next level all the time and when you zoom in, the lower level zoom will be used. If you look closely at the various level of tiles it becomes apparent the same scan was used for several level. For instance, for USGS a 7.5min map was scanned and then the scan was cut up into appropriate zoom levels. There is no new data, just a larger or small view of the data. For OSM tiles, there is new data at some of the very highest zooms. But I find while travelling I don’t need to see house shapes and swimming pools. I can avoid the highest levels in OSM too. I do find level 15 to be about the maximum I need as it is the level where street names are added. Aerials are a different story. For those I tend to want to higher zoom at least when using ArcGIS World Imagery: their level 18 is high resolution. They don’t have higher than 18 though.

 

There is also a common misconception that every tile at every zoom level and for the whole area is required. That is rarely true. Of course I don’t know your particular travel plans but it is unlikely they include every square mile and much of that may be just getting for one stopping point to another. By limiting your focus you may find there is a nice level that will please you. I used to travel between Arkansas and New Hampshire every few months. My total number of tiles and the space required never really added up to much.

 

One disadvantage of using a database for tiles is if the file is corrupted, you may lose access to all maps. In one application I looked at, I am pretty sure they managed two files. It looked like one file was used to point to a specific record within the second one. If either file is corrupted, then both are unusable. Not so with tiles since each is its own entity.

 

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

 

 

From: aprsisce@... [mailto:aprsisce@...]
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2017 11:34 PM
To: aprsisce@...
Subject: [aprsisce] Maps

 

 

Any way to configure this program to access maps I already own from terrain navigator?? They are awesome high res maps and I have the rights to print and edit for personal use. So allowing aprsisce to access the file shouldn't be a legal issue.
Basically I spend 8 months a
Year traveling the western usa and even though it's a heap of data I need massive amounts of map tiles.

Matthew KK6WBY




Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com



robt.harris
 

Matthew and Fred:

I have Terrain Navigator (New England maps) on my computer. I cannot find any files that look like the typical tile files used by aprsisce. None of the usual suspect file extensions. Or directories will lots of same-sized files as one would expect when looking for tiles. I suspect that program uses database or even vector images (the USGS topos have been converted to vector files by some producers).


On 3/27/2017 7:36 PM, Matthew Esposito matthewr.esposito@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Fred 
  You seem to be the resource I'm looking for. Do you mind if I pick your brain?? If the questions get to daunting for the mail list can we email outside of the list?? 
Basically I don't have a space  issue and I need 100% of Californian maps already downloaded onto my tablet. I'd like to get down to that 15-18 level. I understand it will total in the millions of tiles. I just don't want to spend all
The time sitting and moving the yellow circle until Iv covered all of California. I use terrain navigator on my company laptop and figured if I can just buy the maps from tn I wouldn't  have to download them from OSM. Any suggestions on maps would be great
Matthew

On Mar 28, 2017, at 12:39 AM, 'Fred Hillhouse' fmhillhouse@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

 

I looked briefly at Terrain Navigator. It looks like it uses the USGS Topo, satellite imagery plus another 60 or so sources. In almost every case when a product uses a wide variety, they commonly use available sources such as OSM and ArcGIS. They may save the data as tiles or use a database format. If they use tiles then you can find them and very likely point APRSIS32 at them, otherwise they can’t be used. Look around your hard drive and you should be able to find the files. They could be sizable.


--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Can MOTCH Katmai Henry David Thoreau UDX Bda UD (1992-2005)
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH


Matthew Esposito
 

Bob thanks so much I'm having same findings. Any suggestions on other map tile sets 

Matthew R. Esposito 

On Mar 28, 2017, at 11:03 AM, Bob Harris knineudx@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

 

Matthew and Fred:

I have Terrain Navigator (New England maps) on my computer. I cannot find any files that look like the typical tile files used by aprsisce. None of the usual suspect file extensions. Or directories will lots of same-sized files as one would expect when looking for tiles. I suspect that program uses database or even vector images (the USGS topos have been converted to vector files by some producers).


On 3/27/2017 7:36 PM, Matthew Esposito matthewr.esposito@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Fred 
  You seem to be the resource I'm looking for. Do you mind if I pick your brain?? If the questions get to daunting for the mail list can we email outside of the list?? 
Basically I don't have a space  issue and I need 100% of Californian maps already downloaded onto my tablet. I'd like to get down to that 15-18 level. I understand it will total in the millions of tiles. I just don't want to spend all
The time sitting and moving the yellow circle until Iv covered all of California. I use terrain navigator on my company laptop and figured if I can just buy the maps from tn I wouldn't  have to download them from OSM. Any suggestions on maps would be great
Matthew

On Mar 28, 2017, at 12:39 AM, 'Fred Hillhouse' fmhillhouse@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

 

I looked briefly at Terrain Navigator. It looks like it uses the USGS Topo, satellite imagery plus another 60 or so sources. In almost every case when a product uses a wide variety, they commonly use available sources such as OSM and ArcGIS. They may save the data as tiles or use a database format. If they use tiles then you can find them and very likely point APRSIS32 at them, otherwise they can’t be used. Look around your hard drive and you should be able to find the files. They could be sizable.


--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Can MOTCH Katmai Henry David Thoreau UDX Bda UD (1992-2005)
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH


Jerry
 

Take a look at the Stamen Maps (http://maps.stamen.com/#terrain/12/37.7706/-122.3782).  They are open source and look pretty good.


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 


The following three lines are the key to setting up a Tile Server in APRSISCE/32.

I haven't actually tested them yet, but they should work with appropriate massaging.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32



On 3/28/2017 11:12 AM, jerrygable@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Take a look at the Stamen Maps (http://maps.stamen.com/#terrain/12/37.7706/-122.3782).  They are open source and look pretty good.



Jerry
 

Also,
If you are looking at locally stored maps, look at http://maperitive.net
It will generate maps with the info you want.  Then look at the generate-tiles command.  It will generate an area of maps with your desired zoom levels in a directory format that matches the aprsisce cache.  Just point aprsce at the directory and turn off the fetch function and you will have local maps for a region.


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

Just change the {z}/{x}/{y} to %z/%x/%y and it'll work.  I just tested all three as Tile Sets.  I did not experiment to find out just what zoom levels are supported by these servers, but I don't think they go the whole way out to 20...

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32



On 3/28/2017 11:29 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] wrote:


The following three lines are the key to setting up a Tile Server in APRSISCE/32.

I haven't actually tested them yet, but they should work with appropriate massaging.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32



On 3/28/2017 11:12 AM, jerrygable@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Take a look at the Stamen Maps (http://maps.stamen.com/#terrain/12/37.7706/-122.3782).  They are open source and look pretty good.