Off topic - anyone used the Python APRS libraries

Kevin Reeve

Has anyone on this list used the python APRS libraries to build an application?

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/aprs/6.0.1

.

Looking to build a simple interface to transmit event participant data out of the mountains and have an application pick it up and put it in a database down in the valley.

Kevin N7RXE

Robert Mueller

I'd really like to follow your work!  I was thinking about a similar application.  I was wondering if packet can pass SQL statements to update a database.  Custom application on each end.  I just don't have the time to dig into something like that.

--... ...--
Bob Mueller
K8MD
bob@...

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Kevin Reeve kevin.reeve@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

Has anyone on this list used the python APRS libraries to build an application?

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/aprs/6.0.1

.

Looking to build a simple interface to transmit event participant data out of the mountains and have an application pick it up and put it in a database down in the valley.

Kevin N7RXE

Paul Wilson

Now there is a potential security issue (SQL injection attack anyone?).

73 Paul (VA6PW)

On 07/02/2017 11:12 AM, Bob Mueller bob@... [aprsisce] wrote:

I'd really like to follow your work!  I was thinking about a similar application.  I was wondering if packet can pass SQL statements to update a database.  Custom application on each end.  I just don't have the time to dig into something like that.

--... ...--
Bob Mueller
K8MD
bob@...

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Kevin Reeve kevin.reeve@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

Has anyone on this list used the python APRS libraries to build an application?

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/aprs/6.0.1

.

Looking to build a simple interface to transmit event participant data out of the mountains and have an application pick it up and put it in a database down in the valley.

Kevin N7RXE

Patrick Wood

Do you have internet access at your sending location?  I've been using the python twitter API on collection of raspberry pi's (mostly zero's) to build this same sort of collect data -> network -> clients + SQL database setup...  Not suggesting against APRS, just an alternative which I can speak and provide opinions about lol.  Twitter lets you have other non hams connect to the data stream, and allows for media posting (webcam images in my case).

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Kevin Reeve kevin.reeve@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

Has anyone on this list used the python APRS libraries to build an application?

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/aprs/6.0.1

.

Looking to build a simple interface to transmit event participant data out of the mountains and have an application pick it up and put it in a database down in the valley.

Kevin N7RXE

Robert Mueller

trolling or serious?  Because I lulz'ed

I'm not worried about that at all.  We currently get the data via FM phone.  Someone could just as easily call net control and feed faulty data.  Which is much more simple then writing a custom app to feed bad SQL statements.  I don't have any concern at all about that happening.

--... ...--
Bob Mueller
K8MD
bob@...

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 1:47 PM, Paul Wilson paul@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

Now there is a potential security issue (SQL injection attack anyone?).

73 Paul (VA6PW)

robt.harris

I've been thinking of implementing APRStt for sled dog races. To send the time each team passes a check point back to the race co-ordinators. I'd probably write it in C (since I have more experience with that language).

--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH

Bob Harris wrote:

'> I've been thinking of implementing APRStt for sled dog races. To send
> the time each team passes a check point back to the race co-ordinators.
> I'd probably write it in C (since I have more experience with that
> language).

Are you familiar with this APRStt implementation?
  • APRStt Implementation Notes [ download ]

    Very few hams have portable equipment for APRS but nearly everyone has a handheld radio that can send DTMF tones. APRStt allows a user, equipped with only DTMF (commonly known as Touch Tone) generation capability, to enter information into the global APRS data network. This document explains how the APRStt concept was implemented in the Dire Wolf application.

  • APRStt Interface for SARTrack [ download ]

    This example illustrates how APRStt can be integrated with other applications such as SARTrack, APRSISCE/32, YAAC, or Xastir.

robt.harris

Hi John,

Yes, I am familiar. My statement of implementing APRStt was not entirely accurate.

What I ponder is building a very weak transmitter (range under 50 feet) into a pill box with an Arduino (actually a Moteino). It would transmit on 915 MHz the racer id (bib number, sled number).

The receiver at the checkpoints would have a highly directional antenna perpendicular to the route. As a sled passed through the field, its bib number would be received, time-stamped, formated, and transmitted via APRS back to the operations center.

If I got fancy enough, I might "wake up" the sled unit when it was in range of the checkpoint. Filtering would be incorporated into the processing at receiver to capture only one report per sled at each check point.

This is to eliminate standing out all day in  near zero temperatures.

(All this is taking what a group in Tennessee did to the next level of integration.)

On 2/8/2017 7:51 PM, wb2osz@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Bob Harris wrote:

'> I've been thinking of implementing APRStt for sled dog races. To send
> the time each team passes a check point back to the race co-ordinators.
> I'd probably write it in C (since I have more experience with that
> language).

Are you familiar with this APRStt implementation?

  • APRStt Implementation Notes [ download ]

    Very few hams have portable equipment for APRS but nearly everyone has a handheld radio that can send DTMF tones. APRStt allows a user, equipped with only DTMF (commonly known as Touch Tone) generation capability, to enter information into the global APRS data network. This document explains how the APRStt concept was implemented in the Dire Wolf application.

--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH

Jack Smith

Bob,

You’ve got me interested now.  Do you have info on the TN group’s implementation?

Jack KE4LWT

Bob Harris wrote:

'> I've been thinking of implementing APRStt for sled dog races. To send
> the time each team passes a check point back to the race co-ordinators.
> I'd probably write it in C (since I have more experience with that
> language).

Are you familiar with this APRStt implementation?

·         APRStt Implementation Notes [ download ]

Very few hams have portable equipment for APRS but nearly everyone has a handheld radio that can send DTMF tones. APRStt allows a user, equipped with only DTMF (commonly known as Touch Tone) generation capability, to enter information into the global APRS data network. This document explains how the APRStt concept was implemented in the Dire Wolf application.

--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH

Fred Hillhouse

You might look at the Raspberry Pi Zero for a platform. They can be purchased for $5 on occasion.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

Bob Harris wrote:

'> I've been thinking of implementing APRStt for sled dog races. To send
> the time each team passes a check point back to the race co-ordinators.
> I'd probably write it in C (since I have more experience with that
> language).

Are you familiar with this APRStt implementation?

·         APRStt Implementation Notes [ download ]

Very few hams have portable equipment for APRS but nearly everyone has a handheld radio that can send DTMF tones. APRStt allows a user, equipped with only DTMF (commonly known as Touch Tone) generation capability, to enter information into the global APRS data network. This document explains how the APRStt concept was implemented in the Dire Wolf application.

--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH

robt.harris

Info such as I have sent privately.

On 2/9/2017 10:52 AM, 'Jack Smith' cyclingsoldier@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Bob,

You’ve got me interested now.  Do you have info on the TN group’s implementation?

Jack KE4LWT

--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH

Robert Bruninga

If you can get the sleds to run over a marked spot on the ground (snow?) you could simply use $1 RFID cards embedded in the sled.

Then just hook up an RFID reader ($30) with its RS232 output going to a standard TNC and the TNC would transmit the code.  Then your software (not out in the cold) could translate the code ID into the pre-established info for that sled and resend the packet in the full humanreadable format.

See http://aprs.org/aprs-rfid.html

The key is wheter you can get the card within about 6” of the target.

Bob, Wb4aPR

Bob Harris wrote:

'> I've been thinking of implementing APRStt for sled dog races. To send
> the time each team passes a check point back to the race co-ordinators.
> I'd probably write it in C (since I have more experience with that
> language).

Are you familiar with this APRStt implementation?

·        APRStt Implementation Notes [ download ]

Very few hams have portable equipment for APRS but nearly everyone has a handheld radio that can send DTMF tones. APRStt allows a user, equipped with only DTMF (commonly known as Touch Tone) generation capability, to enter information into the global APRS data network. This document explains how the APRStt concept was implemented in the Dire Wolf application.

--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH

robt.harris

Fred,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd prefer working with a RPi. I'll buy one the next time I'm in Cambridge.

On 2/9/2017 11:09 AM, 'Fred Hillhouse' fmhillhouse@... [aprsisce] wrote:

You might look at the Raspberry Pi Zero for a platform. They can be purchased for $5 on occasion.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH

robt.harris

Will never happen!

On 2/9/2017 12:03 PM, Robert Bruninga bruninga@... [aprsisce] wrote:

The key is wheter you can get the card within about 6” of the target.

--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH

Fred Hillhouse

May as well share with the rest of us too. J

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

You’ve got me interested now.  Do you have info on the TN group’s implementation?

Jack KE4LWT

--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH

Patrick Wood

Then you just need better RFID hardware than the 30$ reader. (I suggested a pile of things to Bob with the RFID spec he linked lol).  I use RFID for race timing (road/cross country/some ski and other things), using a specialized system, but there are plenty of people that use off the shelf hardware with directional antennas to do what you're after.  Take a look at http://www.ageeracetiming.com/ as an example of the hardware involved (you can use his software obviously to do all this, but because the hardware is off the shelf you can get a feel for the costs involved for a setup that will do exactly what you're after).  With sled racing you probably have a much easier time than most of the stuff I'm doing because you're dealing with small numbers of competitors crossing at once, rather than hundreds per minute I sometimes have.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 12:16 PM, Bob Harris knineudx@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

Will never happen!

On 2/9/2017 12:03 PM, Robert Bruninga bruninga@... [aprsisce] wrote:

The key is wheter you can get the card within about 6” of the target.

--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH

Kevin Reeve

Go to love twitters versatile use along with a pi.

This event has no internet in the mountains or cell phone coverage.  So ham radio 2m/70cm APRS, Packet, HF or satellite is our options.

300 runners, 100 miles, 36 hours.   Logging of aid station arrival and departure.

We currently use a custom build windows app to log the bib number and the computer time stamps those. We transmit a batch of these via winlink  to a gmail account. A team grabs those and injects them into a database  with web facing viewing by anyone.  The real goal is safety and to not loose anyone or not shut down the aid station until all that are expected are accounted for.

Kevin

From: <aprsisce@...> on behalf of "Patrick Wood winston@... [aprsisce]" <aprsisce@...>
Date: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 12:03 PM
To: "aprsisce@..." <aprsisce@...>

[...]

One of the local hams wrote a packet based system for doing this monitoring for car rallies and horse rides along the lines of what you describe.  At every checkpoint logs their ID number and time to the network and central station would get a display of who is in each section of the course, along with flagging anyone who had entered a stage before others who had already finished it.  All based on straight packet so no special hardware needed, worked pretty well as long as you could get links from all the stations, with terrain we had issues some years but mostly worked them out.