A new observation prompts a new question

kc8sfq

Hi Guys 'n' Gals,
I have two digi/I-gates up and running. One at the EOC (BRYEOC) running 24-7 unless the computer does an update or the IT department resets the router. When that happens, the computer I-gate quits, but the digi is set to restart it's self. The one here at home is a bit more sporadic as I work on it.  But all that is just FYI, not the basis for my question.

Here at home, I see this in the scroller: BRYEOC* 2/3  K0TEA-2*. Or perhaps something like N8TJG-10*1/2  2M Net*2 (another local digi and my object for our Thurs evening net)

BRYEOC is our digi/ I-gate at the EOC;  * means it was heard by RF; K0TEA-2* is the station, also RF, that we digi'd

I also understand that the number after the * is the number of times that a station was heard very recently. The part I have not seen before is the fraction (2/3 above and it's always attached to the digi). I suspect it also has to do with times heard. The station here at home is the only place I see the fraction. The setup at EOC is almost identical to this one and I don't see the fraction there.

We are getting ready for our biggest rollout of APRS yet. And in fact, it is the largest thing we've ever supported, with with any mode and this is the first time for us to do this race. It's a bicycle race with 3000+- riders on a 60 mile course in our hilly county. We have the digi at EOC and I'll move that up to the 200 foot antenna for the race. I also anticipate at least one outlying "porta-digi" and at least 2 SAG's. The race is only 7 weeks out and that time will vaporize.

OK, enough rambling from me

Thanks and 73 KC8SFQ (Ron)

Robert Bruninga

How many APRS mobiles willbe on the ari at the event?
What rate will they TX,
Who is watching?
etc...

bob

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 9:20 PM, kc8sfq@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bob and All,

How many APRS mobiles will be on the air at the event?
What rate will they TX,
Probably two mobiles, deaf trackers in the SAG's. Two minute beacon rate
and time slotted just to be sure. At this point, it looks like Byonic's
MT-AIO's. since we have those in stock. One "porta-digi", might not have
that beacon at all, just digi to fill in the valleys out on the far end
where I expect a hole. I have yet to run the course and check signals
though. I also plan to run my digi/ I-gate here at the home QTH. The
course goes within a mile of here. And of course the full featured APRS
station at NCS, right in the center of all the fun.

Who is watching?
Probably just race officials, Law enforcement or who ever sticks a nose
into the comms trailer. The whole world can watch, of course, but I doubt
much of the world outside the few folks directly connected will give much
of a hoot.

There's a big planning meeting the day after tomorrow with all the
players. I'll have a lot more information after that.
73, Ron (KC8SFQ)
++++++++++++++++++++++

aprsisce@...> wrote:

[...]

If only two, then why only 2 minutes.  Why not 1 minute to improve the probabiliiy if it moves a lot.  But if they just sit somewhere, then 2m is just fine.

bob

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 10:32 PM, kc8sfq@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:
> [...]

>> fraction (2/3 above and it's always attached to the digi). I suspect it
also has to do with times heard. The station here at home is the only
place
>> I see the fraction. The setup at EOC is almost identical to this one
and
>> don't see the fraction there.
>> We are getting ready for our biggest rollout of APRS yet. And in fact, it
>> is the largest thing we've ever supported, with with any mode and this is
>> the first time for us to do this race. It's a bicycle race with 3000+-
riders on a 60 mile course in our hilly county. We have the digi at EOC
and
>> I'll move that up to the 200 foot antenna for the race. I also
>> anticipate
>> at least one outlying "porta-digi" and at least 2 SAG's. The race is only
>> 7 weeks out and that time will vaporize.

------------------------------------
Posted by: kc8sfq@...

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
    aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

On 2/4/2017 10:32 PM, kc8sfq@... [aprsisce] wrote:
One "porta-digi", might not have that beacon at all, just digi to fill in the valleys out on the far end where I expect a hole. I have yet to run the course and check signals though. I also plan to run my digi/ I-gate here at the home QTH. The course goes within a mile of here. And of course the full featured APRS station at NCS, right in the center of all the fun.
If I may encourage you to have the digipeaters beacon their position at least every 30-60 minutes. With those beacons and received packet logs, a post-mortem analysis can show you what contribution they had. If the digipeater never beacons, it cannot be included in any time-shifted maps of the event because the analysis software won't know where it is located.

Gordon Davids

Ron -

I have noticed a few things about your stations in APRS.FI.

First, your digipaths are WIDE1-1.  This is good.  It avoids excessive hops and RF traffic where it is not needed, and your beacons are going where they need to go.

I can discuss some other observations with you off-line, and I will copy Bob and Lynn.  No problems, but it would help if we had a few more details about your configuration, and the upcoming event.  If we come up with some good ideas, we can post them back on this site for general use.

- Gordon Davids / WJ3K

kc8sfq

Hi Gordon,
I would be happy to converse off line. That said, I'm not ashamed to bare
my soul here (as regards APRS). I have been helped many times, by
something that caught my eye here as someone else worked through it.

The wide1-1 path was suggested here for objects (by Bob, I think). I
noticed the default path in the objects setup drop-down was 2-2 so I cut
it down. I also did not activate the IS feed because this information is
only useful locally. I doubt anyone in, for instance, Palm Bay Fl. will be
interested in our club breakfast (Though he'd be welcome)

73, Ron (KC8SFQ)
+++++++++++++++

Ron -

I have noticed a few things about your stations in APRS.FI.

First, your digipaths are WIDE1-1. This is good. It avoids excessive
hops and RF traffic where it is not needed, and your beacons are going
where they need to go.

I can discuss some other observations with you off-line, and I will copy
Bob and Lynn. No problems, but it would help if we had a few more details
about your configuration, and the upcoming event. If we come up with some
good ideas, we can post them back on this site for general use.

- Gordon Davids / WJ3K

Robert Bruninga

I agree. Digis are so important, they should report their status
periodically. Rmembr that the beacon from a digi goes one hop more than
any of its users. So if you are using 2 hops at the event, then the
beacon from the digi only needs to go via 1 hop to cover all the same
folks.

The general recommendation for a digis is once every 10 minutes direct (no
hops) and once every 30 mintues via one hop. Bob, WB4PPR

One "porta-digi", might not have that beacon at all, just digi to fill
in the valleys out on the far end where I expect a hole. I have yet to
run the course and check signals though. I also plan to run my digi/
I-gate here at the home QTH. The course goes within a mile of here.
And of course the full featured APRS station at NCS, right in the
center of all the fun.
If I may encourage you to have the digipeaters beacon their position at
least every 30-60 minutes. With those beacons and received packet logs, a
post-mortem analysis can show you what contribution they had. If the
digipeater never beacons, it cannot be included in any time-shifted maps
of the event because the analysis software won't know where it is located.

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Chris Rose <kb8uih88@...>

Ron, I missed what's going on. Whats the event and when and where?

Thanks

> [...]

>> fraction (2/3 above and it's always attached to the digi). I suspect it
also has to do with times heard. The station here at home is the only
place
>> I see the fraction. The setup at EOC is almost identical to this one
and
>> don't see the fraction there.
>> We are getting ready for our biggest rollout of APRS yet. And in fact, it
>> is the largest thing we've ever supported, with with any mode and this is
>> the first time for us to do this race. It's a bicycle race with 3000+-
riders on a 60 mile course in our hilly county. We have the digi at EOC
and
>> I'll move that up to the 200 foot antenna for the race. I also
>> anticipate
>> at least one outlying "porta-digi" and at least 2 SAG's. The race is only
>> 7 weeks out and that time will vaporize.

kc8sfq

hi Chris,
We are in Barry County (between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids). The event is
25 Mar. I looked you up on QRZ.com. It'd be quite a commute for you, but
if you'd like to join us, contact me off list. we can always find work for
motivated operators.

73, Ron (KC8SFQ)
+++++++++++++++++

Ron, I missed what's going on. Whats the event and when and where?
Thanks

-------- Original message --------From: "kc8sfq@... [aprsisce]"
<aprsisce@...> Date: 2/4/17 10:32 PM (GMT-05:00) To:
aprsisce@... Subject: Re: [aprsisce] A new observation prompts
a new question

aprsisce@...> wrote:
[...]

robt.harris

Best wishes for a successful rollout of APRS.

In July we support a modest sized ride (not a race) of 2000-3000 bikers over 300 miles of courses. With a dozen SAGs (without APRS) and close to thirty mobile support vehicles (rovers, ride recovery, supply trucks), we have found APRS invaluable. It has reduced voice traffic on the net by at least one-half. In one case APRS messaging got the information through when voice contact with a rover was lost.

The White Mountains of New Hampshire, the Green Mountains of Vermont, and the Upprer Connecticut River Valley are not as hilly as your terrain (only one peak over 4000 feet), but the courses tend to be in the notches with granite attenuators on either side of the road.

--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH

robt.harris

Curious. In my experience, SAGs are rest stops at fixed locations. Unless one will be re-positioning the SAGs during the event, what is the value of equipping them with deaf trackers?

On 2/4/2017 10:32 PM, kc8sfq@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Probably two mobiles, deaf trackers in the SAG's. Two minute beacon rate
and time slotted just to be sure.

--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH

Rob Giuliano

In all events I have been part of "SAG wagons" were vehicles equipment with key items and were mobile support with gear (Support And Gear).  First aid kits are a must in these!  In bicycle events, these vehicles carried extra various sized inner tubes, an air pump, and sometimes even various sized tires (depending on support groups).  One event I was part of, a local bike shop even provided chains and we had one cyclist that really appreciated that!

Fixed locations are typically called something like "rest stops", "aid stations", or "check points".

Curious. In my experience, SAGs are rest stops at fixed locations. Unless one will be re-positioning the SAGs during the event, what is the value of equipping them with deaf trackers?

On 2/4/2017 10:32 PM, kc8sfq@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Probably two mobiles, deaf trackers in the SAG's. Two minute beacon rate
and time slotted just to be sure.

--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Being a self-confessed, mechanically-inept programmer-type person, when I run SAG for local bike events, I take our Safari van with a 4 position bike rack and plenty of rider-space.  If anyone has an issue, I transport them to the nearest rest stop where they usually have stationed repair personnel.  Of course, I also have plenty of water and snacks aboard if that's all a rider needs.

Net Control positions the SAGs and Rovers (no bike transport) to cover the course looking for any riders needing assistance and will also dispatch the nearest (thanks to APRS) person to a rider if they call in for help.  They also push an APRS object out to RF and the APRS-IS to assist in getting directly to the proper location.

On 2/6/2017 9:17 AM, Rob Giuliano kb8rco@... [aprsisce] wrote:

[...]

So your description also implies SAG is mobile (as opposed to fixed).
You seem to list SAG and Rover as mobile - with SAG have more capabilities.

Curious. In my experience, SAGs are rest stops at fixed locations. Unless one will be re-positioning the SAGs during the event, what is the value of equipping them with deaf trackers?

On 2/4/2017 10:32 PM, kc8sfq@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Probably two mobiles, deaf trackers in the SAG's. Two minute beacon rate
and time slotted just to be sure.

--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Yes.  And they have separately assigned stationary(ery?) personnel at each rest stop to relay any requests for supplies and such.

SAGs can transport bikes.  Rovers cannot transport.  Both patrol the course looking for assistance opportunities as assigned by net control.

Unfortunately I'll miss the next Central Florida bike event because it's the day after my daughter's wedding...

On 2/6/2017 9:37 AM, Rob Giuliano kb8rco@... [aprsisce] wrote:

So your description also implies SAG is mobile (as opposed to fixed).
You seem to list SAG and Rover as mobile - with SAG have more capabilities.

Curious. In my experience, SAGs are rest stops at fixed locations. Unless one will be re-positioning the SAGs during the event, what is the value of equipping them with deaf trackers?

On 2/4/2017 10:32 PM, kc8sfq@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Probably two mobiles, deaf trackers in the SAG's. Two minute beacon rate
and time slotted just to be sure.

--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH

Glenn O'Connor <oconnor_glenn@...>

SAG = StopAndGet’em.

So your description also implies SAG is mobile (as opposed to fixed).

You seem to list SAG and Rover as mobile - with SAG have more capabilities.

Curious. In my experience, SAGs are rest stops at fixed locations. Unless one will be re-positioning the SAGs during the event, what is the value of equipping them with deaf trackers?

On 2/4/2017 10:32 PM, kc8sfq@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Probably two mobiles, deaf trackers in the SAG's. Two minute beacon rate
and time slotted just to be sure.

--
"The world of goodness is filled with fleas."

Bob Harris
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)
Ch Silvercreek Gossip Girl
Bath, NH

Jack Smith

That's the way I've always seen the SAGs, although most of my rides in the Eastern US. When I'm not riding, I use my van with a rack on the back to pick up what bikes I can't get fixed and carry the riders to the nearest stop with more advanced support, or to wait for the shuttle to carry them back in.  The "rovers" are just "radio cars" with no rider/bike support , although I'd like to think they have at least a first aid kit.

Jack KE4LWT

[...]

Hi Bob, We don't have anything here that would qualify as a mountain, but
the running gag here is that if you buy 5 acres in Barry County and iron
it flat you'd get about 6 and a half acres. Thanks about the line about
the "granite attenuators" Ours are more like clay and rocks, but function
much the same way.

73, Ron (KC8SFQ)

kc8sfq

Hi Bob,
You are correct, there is no use for a dumb APRS tracker station at a
fixed location. I am plotting those with Objects. My understanding is that
SAG stands for Stragglers And Gear. Someone also told me that it stood for
something in German, but he made no attempt to pronounce it. Our SAGS will
be vehicles (probably 4 or 5 of them). We have enough APRS equipment to
track 2 or 3 of those, plus one full featured unit with display riding
with the SAG coordinator, and one at NCS

73, Ron (KC8SFQ)