Displaying Earthquake Symbols in my area.

Bill Erhardt

Howdy gang,

When I used the APRS + SA by Brent Hildbrand, there was an option to pick symbols off the internet feed like a Earthqake symbol so I could beacon out 1 or two hops if it occurred in my area.

Is there an option in APRSIS32 to pick up a symbol in my area off the internet and then beacon it out??

If so, how can I make it work ??

Thanks everyone.

Bill in Helena, Mt.
VHF     K7MT
HF       K7MT-11
RP       K7MT-8
Digital  K7MT-63

Rob Giuliano

Are you asking if it is possible to change you station symbol according to:
  a received APRS message from the internet or TNC?
  a source on your computer (ie a serial port device like weather station, weather radio, or seismograph)?
  a different source of information

I am not completely familiar with the weather station input, but I am guess there is some means of changing the icon accordingly.  This is sourced from a file created by the weather station, so if it sets the icon by some agorithm, you could probably "mimic" that.

When I used the APRS + SA by Brent Hildbrand, there was an option to pick symbols off the internet feed like a Earthqake symbol so I could beacon out 1 or two hops if it occurred in my area.

Is there an option in APRSIS32 to pick up a symbol in my area off the internet and then beacon it out??

If so, how can I make it work ??

Thanks everyone.

Bill in Helena, Mt.
VHF     K7MT
HF       K7MT-11
RP       K7MT-8
Digital  K7MT-63

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I believe he's asking about gating selected packets from the APRS-IS to local RF.  If so, then your answer is a qualified yes.

If you're running the development version of APRSISCE/32, it has the ability to gate filtered packets from the APRS-IS to RF.  To do this, you first hit a Control-G and enter the filter that you think will be the packets you want.  Monitor the FilterTest window for a while to make sure you only get the packets you want.

Once you're sure about the packets that match the filter, hit Control-I and confirm your intention to gate the currently set filter to RF.

Note that for now, you need to redo all of these steps if you restart your IGate.

On 9/16/2016 9:08 PM, Rob Giuliano kb8rco@... [aprsisce] wrote:
[...]

Doesn't sound like it.
I took it as 2 questions:
1. Can APRSISce/32 change the symbol based on something coming in off an internet feed (like an earthquake)?
2. How to construct a message with that symbol using APRSISce/32?
   After receiving the epicenter of quake (from some source), can an object be created automatically with a symbol of "quake" with that position.

That was where the "Weather Station" comment came from.  A weather file is created by the weather station.  Using another app (write your own I  would guess) that monitors a website for quakes, and creates either a file of "quake objects" or a wxnow.txt file.  I checked the wiki after sending the message and it appears that wxnow.txt file format is very specific.  It does not allow for defining the symbol/icom.
  Quake-1!3745.21N/12230.27WQ

Maybe a comment with the magnitude?

When I used the APRS + SA by Brent Hildbrand, there was an option to pick symbols off the internet feed like a Earthqake symbol so I could beacon out 1 or two hops if it occurred in my area.

Is there an option in APRSIS32 to pick up a symbol in my area off the internet and then beacon it out??

If so, how can I make it work ??

Thanks everyone.

Bill in Helena, Mt.
VHF     K7MT
HF       K7MT-11
RP       K7MT-8
Digital  K7MT-63

Bill Erhardt

Thanks Lynn,

I put a /Q  earthquake symbol in the Cntrl G window.  What must I do if I want two or three special displays ?? Is there a comma in between or space ???  Displaying Earthquake data from USGS is my only request in my area so I can beacon it out to western Montana Digi's to other folks.

Thanks and APRSIS Rocks. I have it on my Igate and at the State of Montana DES KM7DES.  Great program.

Cheers  Bill K7MT Helena, Mt.

Bill Erhardt

Hi Lynn,

Make that \Q  for Quake  the /Q is TBD I think that means  To Be Determined.

I will watch and see if the Earth Quake symbol pops up when a quake occurs in my circle of interest around Helena, Mt.

Thanks  Bill K7MT

Rob Giuliano

I am curious on how you are getting the data from USGS?

Is it already on the APRS-IS or other internet service that APRS can interface with?
   The Ctrl-G filter will allow you to parse this data and send it out over RF.

Or are you trying to connect to ENS, TED, or other service then "create/add the information" to the APRS network?
   If so, What service and how are you parsing the messages to create APRS messages?

I put a /Q  earthquake symbol in the Cntrl G window.  What must I do if I want two or three special displays ?? Is there a comma in between or space ???  Displaying Earthquake data from USGS is my only request in my area so I can beacon it out to western Montana Digi's to other folks.

Thanks and APRSIS Rocks. I have it on my Igate and at the State of Montana DES KM7DES.  Great program.

Cheers  Bill K7MT Helena, Mt.

Jeff Dugas (Mobile) <N5TEV@...>

Not sure if this is applicable to the discussion at hand, but I have used the USGS Earthquake Notification Service for years (for non-Ham, non-APRS related purposes). Data is delivered instantly via email.

https://sslearthquake.usgs.gov/ens/userhome

Useful here?

73,
Jeff
N5TEV

Rob Giuliano

From my perspective, I am trying to figure out these 2 possibilities:

1. Someone is 'consistently' doing that:
   Decoding the quake information direct from a source and creating a quake location object,
      then injecting it to a APRS-IS server or maybe CWOP server (with proper format, etc.)

2. No one is consistently doing this, so there is a need.
   Create or find a tool to creating the 'quake' object and properly feed the object to IS?

If #1, then the information is already available and the discussion is mainly Lynn helping Bill (K7MT) pass that to RF for local activity.  While we learn!
  No need to re-invent the process.

If #2, then the discussion would move to which "service" would be easiest to monitor and create "quake objects" from.  If someone is already placing the information on the internet in an APRS friendly form but inconsistently, then it might be a matter of duplicating that process to increase exposure.

Not sure if this is applicable to the discussion at hand, but I have used the USGS Earthquake Notification Service for years (for non-Ham, non-APRS related purposes). Data is delivered instantly via email.

https://sslearthquake.usgs.gov/ens/userhome

Useful here?

73,
Jeff
N5TEV

John KC4LZN

I know that you can display APRS.fi on Google earth, just as well as Earthquake real time feed from the USGS.

Don't know if that helps...

73 John

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Rob Giuliano kb8rco@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

From my perspective, I am trying to figure out these 2 possibilities:

[...]

Big quakes are on aprs-is.  Little quakes on firenet.    At least that's how it was years ago...

From my perspective, I am trying to figure out these 2 possibilities: