Need Help with getting a radio to work with APRSis32

Brad Hurd

Thanks for the advice, it worked! However, I do not think it is totally working. What the radio receives directly it shows on the software. What it hears from the digi is not passing to the software?

It does not seem to matter if the IS port is on or off. Also it does not appear to be sending any information out on the RF port.

Could the trouble be that this is a very old radio and technology?

Thanks for the help!

Brad
KB0LSM

Brad Hurd

Thanks! I will give this a try and see what happens lol

On Feb 11, 2016, at 06:31, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

Greg is nearly correct, but for one detail.  You want a KISS-type port in APRSISCE/32, not one of the Kwd* port types.  The latter are for the newer D72 and D710s.

As he said, it is imperative that you have the radio's TNC in Packet mode BEFORE starting APRSISCE/32 or enabling its RF port.  If you lose communications with the radio for some reason, you have to close APRSISCE/32 or disable the RF port, ensure that the radio's TNC is in Packet mode, and then restart APRSISCE/32 or enable the RF port.

With these pre-conditions, it should "just work".

On 2/10/2016 11:45 PM, Greg D ko6th.greg@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Hi Brad,

It's been a while since I tried the D7, but for me it "just worked".  Be sure that the radio is on and in packet mode (not APRS mode) before starting the software, and that you've got the D7 configured for the right packet rate (1200 vs 9600).  I believe I used the regular Kenwood TNC type in APRSISCE (I did this from an old HP iPAQ Windows Mobile phone), no mods to the config file.  Should be the same for the PC version.

If the radio is resetting when you turn things on, it might just be that the battery is too low.  If so, the radio will reset when it tries to transmit.

Good luck,

Greg  KO6TH

kb0lsm@... [aprsisce] wrote:

I am trying to configure a Kenwood D7(a) to work with APRSis32.

I can not get the software to work with the radio. I have tried all the various modes. My serial cable works....I have set up the port in all the different configurations and no luck with it working. About all I can get it to do is shut off the TNC lol.

Has anybody set up the radio to work with the software? Any and all advice would be welcome!

Thanks,

Brad

Brad Hurd

Thanks! I was having APRSIS32 running before I turned on the radio, I will do it the other way around and see what happens.

kb0lsm@... [aprsisce] wrote:

I am trying to configure a Kenwood D7(a) to work with APRSis32.

I can not get the software to work with the radio. I have tried all the various modes. My serial cable works....I have set up the port in all the different configurations and no luck with it working. About all I can get it to do is shut off the TNC lol.

Has anybody set up the radio to work with the software? Any and all advice would be welcome!

Thanks,

Brad

Lynn Deffenbaugh

kb0lsm@... [aprsisce] wrote:

I am trying to configure a Kenwood D7(a) to work with APRSis32.

I can not get the software to work with the radio. I have tried all the various modes. My serial cable works....I have set up the port in all the different configurations and no luck with it working. About all I can get it to do is shut off the TNC lol.

Has anybody set up the radio to work with the software? Any and all advice would be welcome!

Thanks,

Brad

Greg D