From: "pfbram@... [aprsisce]"
To: aprsisce@...
Sent: Monday, February 8, 2016 4:14 PM
Subject: [aprsisce] aprsisce filters & behavior

" I realize that the APRS-IS system prevents propagation studies, but I was also interested in seeing whether I was i-gating any of the packets."

73, KD0KZE / Paul

Paul Bramscher <pfbram@...>

Thanks--

I read about the /f friend filter here
(http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:automatic-filters):

"If you track or center on someone (right click or popup menu/Center) in
the main window, it adds a:

f/call/dist - Friend Range filter using the same range (changes to
b/call if Range is zero)"

But I'm unclear what filtering itself does in this context. Wouldn't I
already be igating those packets?

73, KD0KZE / Paul

On 2/8/2016 4:52 PM, Max Harper kg4pid@yahoo.com [aprsisce] wrote:

I run a second copy of my aprs client connected to a different aprs-is
server than the one my igate is connected to. I use the 'e' filter, its
description says "This filter passes all packets with the specified
callsign-SSID(s) immediately following the q construct. This allows
filtering based on receiving IGate, etc. Supports * wildcard.

So my second client logs everything that is returned by the 'e' filter.
While this may not be 100%, it's pretty darn close.

Max KG4PID

" I realize that the APRS-IS system prevents propagation studies, but I
was also interested in seeing whether I was i-gating any of the packets."

73, KD0KZE / Paul

Greg Depew

Filters are applied to the server, and filter what is served to you. A f/call or object or b/call or object will always serve that to you as long as they make it to the IS. Making a multitrack of a balloon will add the filter and you will continue to see packets from it even after its out of RF range.

Greg KB3KBR Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

On 2/8/2016 4:52 PM, Max Harper kg4pid@... [aprsisce] wrote:

> I run a second copy of my aprs client connected to a different aprs-is
> server than the one my igate is connected to. I use the 'e' filter, its
> description says "This filter passes all packets with the specified
> callsign-SSID(s) immediately following the q construct. This allows
> filtering based on receiving IGate, etc. Supports * wildcard.
>
> So my second client logs everything that is returned by the 'e' filter.
> While this may not be 100%, it's pretty darn close.
>
> Max KG4PID

Max

My reply was in response to your question of wanting to know what you were igating, nothing more.

Max KG4PID