Anyone get APRSIS to work with Yaesu FT2DR?

Gregory Hanson

I'm trying, with no luck, to get this to work with a Yaesu FT2DR or a VX8DR. Any help would be appreciated. I can get the FT2DR to show waypoints on my Garmin Montana OK, so I know something is coming out of the FT2DR. The Garmin is using 4800 Baud. Tried setting APRSIS to 4800, still no luck.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

If you've got a serial connection to the radio, use a terminal emulator and see what is coming out of it.  With those same settings, you can then try an FTM-350-type port and see if APRSISCE/32 displays the received stations.

AFAIK, Yaesu doesn't support transmitting through their APRS radios unless they've changed something recently.

On 12/24/2015 1:34 PM, hansongregory917@... [aprsisce] wrote:

I'm trying, with no luck, to get this to work with a Yaesu FT2DR or a VX8DR. Any help would be appreciated. I can get the FT2DR to show waypoints on my Garmin Montana OK, so I know something is coming out of the FT2DR. The Garmin is using 4800 Baud. Tried setting APRSIS to 4800, still no luck.

Gregory Hanson

$GPWPL,4112.83,N,07306.07,W,KC1DX-9*60

This is what the FT2DR sends out the serial port. The only 2 options for output is "GPS" or "WAY.P"

I tried using the FT350 port with no luck. At this point in time my main concern is to see the locations of the other stations, not to transmit.

I'll try contacting Yaesu tech support, but I don't have high hopes for that ... :^(

My goal for this is to track the SAG Wagons in a cycle charity event, where I may not have a reliable WIFI connection. I wanted to use this program on a laptop screen, not on the small GPS screen.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

What do you get if you change it to WAY.P?  Oh, never mind.  I suspect it IS set to that and the other is GPS for input to the FT2DR?  Sounds like it doesn't really do APRS anything out the serial port then.  The FTM-350 has a "PACKET" output option that is what APRSISCE/32 supports with the FTM-350 type port.

The NMEA waypoint output loses most of the additional information that APRS provides.  It only gives the coordinate and station ID.  No symbol or comment information nor anything else that APRS provides.  I think you'll be disappointed with the dearth of information even if/when APRSISCE/32 supports such an input.

On 12/24/2015 3:09 PM, hansongregory917@... [aprsisce] wrote:
$GPWPL,4112.83,N,07306.07,W,KC1DX-9*60

This is what the FT2DR sends out the serial port. The only 2 options for output is "GPS" or "WAY.P"

I tried using the FT350 port with no luck. At this point in time my main concern is to see the locations of the other stations, not to transmit.

I'll try contacting Yaesu tech support, but I don't have high hopes for that ... :^(

My goal for this is to track the SAG Wagons in a cycle charity event, where I may not have a reliable WIFI connection. I wanted to use this program on a laptop screen, not on the small GPS screen.

Greg Depew

The workaround I made for the ftm 350 was to set the data band to the same band as APRS and turn off any outputs from the tnc. Then I use uz7ho sound modem to hookup like any other sound card mode. Upside is I have maps and a mobile IGate if I have the Internet on. Downside is I don't have a gps for the laptop yet so I have to manually update my position.

Greg KB3KBR Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

[...]

robt.harris

If your laptop has Bluetooth and you can find a Bluetooth GPS receiver, you should be good to go. I have a venerable TomTom Bluetooth GPS receiver I use with aprsis32 on a WinBook tablet for mobile work.

Last time I looked the TomTom unit shows up occasionally on eBay or Amazon. I have seen others in current production but I am not sure if they are compatible with tablets or laptops. A tad pricey though.

--

Bob Harris (K9UDX)
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)