Google Maps

Anthony

Hey did anyone else see the disclaimer from Google on aprs.fi?  Looks like Google terminated the use of Google Maps on APRS.fi.  If you open the webpage you get a pop up with the diclaimer to go to  http://www.google.com/intl/en-US/help/terms_maps.html

Could this be the end of aprs.fi as we know it?

Regards,

Anthony (N2KI)

Nicholas Frederick

I see it too. I used it earlier today and it was fine. Sad day for ham.

73,
W4NDF-Nick

On Apr 1, 2015, at 8:33 PM, 'Anthony (N2KI)' n2ki.ham@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

Hey did anyone else see the disclaimer from Google on aprs.fi?  Looks like Google terminated the use of Google Maps on APRS.fi.  If you open the webpage you get a pop up with the diclaimer to go to  http://www.google.com/intl/en-US/help/terms_maps.html

Could this be the end of aprs.fi as we know it?

Regards,

Anthony (N2KI)

N5TEV@...

Well, isn't aprs.fi based in the EU?  The EU just announced they are going to shake down Google.  Maybe for billions. So, maybe Google is shutting down Maps for apps that use it that are based in the EU. This may be the unintended consequences of out-of-control government.  Sad.

charles leahy

Yes I'm getting it also so looks like we need to pull the plug on all things Google. Let's get it viral 'no more Google'

Sent from Yahoo7 Mail for iPhone

At 2 Apr 2015 12:33:37 pm, 'Anthony (N2KI)' n2ki.ham@... [aprsisce]<'aprsisce@...'> wrote:

Hey did anyone else see the disclaimer from Google on aprs.fi? Looks like Google terminated the use of Google Maps on APRS.fi. If you open the webpage you get a pop up with the diclaimer to go to http://www.google.com/intl/en-US/help/terms_maps.html

Could this be the end of aprs.fi as we know it?
Regards,

Anthony (N2KI)

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I posted the error message to the aprsfi google group.  Let's give Hessu a chance to respond to it before we get carried away with this decidedly off-topic issue.

On 4/1/2015 9:55 PM, charles leahy vk2syd@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Yes I'm getting it also so looks like we need to pull the plug on all things Google. Let's get it viral 'no more Google'

Sent from Yahoo7 Mail for iPhone

At 2 Apr 2015 12:33:37 pm, 'Anthony (N2KI)' n2ki.ham@... [aprsisce]<'aprsisce@...'> wrote:
Hey did anyone else see the disclaimer from Google on aprs.fi? Looks like Google terminated the use of Google Maps on APRS.fi. If you open the webpage you get a pop up with the diclaimer to go to http://www.google.com/intl/en-US/help/terms_maps.html

Could this be the end of aprs.fi as we know it?
Regards,

Anthony (N2KI)

Carl Davis

oh well, at least aprs.rf will always work...  rf, back to the basics.

Carl,KB1EJH

Hey did anyone else see the disclaimer from Google on aprs.fi?  Looks like Google terminated the use of Google Maps on APRS.fi.  If you open the webpage you get a pop up with the diclaimer to go to  http://www.google.com/intl/en-US/help/terms_maps.html

Could this be the end of aprs.fi as we know it?

Regards,

Anthony (N2KI)

Anthony

Thanks Lynn

Regards,

Anthony (N2KI)

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 10:08 PM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

[...]

Interestingly enough, APRSDroid still works.

Regards,

Anthony (N2KI)

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 10:32 PM, Carl Davis kb1ejh@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

oh well, at least aprs.rf will always work...  rf, back to the basics.

Carl,KB1EJH

Hey did anyone else see the disclaimer from Google on aprs.fi?  Looks like Google terminated the use of Google Maps on APRS.fi.  If you open the webpage you get a pop up with the diclaimer to go to  http://www.google.com/intl/en-US/help/terms_maps.html

Could this be the end of aprs.fi as we know it?

Regards,

Anthony (N2KI)

Krzysztof SQ5NWI

And there is Hessu explanation.
http://blog.aprs.fi/2015/04/google-maps-disabled-on-aprsfi.html
There is s hope ta=hat aprs.fi will be back and up soon.
--
73 de Krzysiek SQ5NWI

W dniu 2015-04-02 o 04:38, 'Anthony (N2KI)' n2ki.ham@... [aprsisce] pisze:

Interestingly enough, APRSDroid still works.

Regards,

Anthony (N2KI)

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 10:32 PM, Carl Davis kb1ejh@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

oh well, at least aprs.rf will always work...  rf, back to the basics.

Carl,KB1EJH

Hey did anyone else see the disclaimer from Google on aprs.fi?  Looks like Google terminated the use of Google Maps on APRS.fi.  If you open the webpage you get a pop up with the diclaimer to go to  http://www.google.com/intl/en-US/help/terms_maps.html

Could this be the end of aprs.fi as we know it?

Regards,

Anthony (N2KI)

John KC4LZN

This was posted in the lower right hand side on the blog about the maps.

Quote:

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Google Maps disabled on aprs.fi temporarily due to a TOS accident

I woke up today to find out that Google Maps are disabled on aprs.fi, and the site is slightly crippled.

Google had noticed that aprs.fi has integrated support for OSM map tiles *and* Street View. I hadn't noticed that the combination of Street View on top of anything else than Google Maps is forbidden according to the Maps API Terms Of Service document. Or I had just forgotten about it when implementing OSM or Street View (there was probably a year or two of time between the two, and probably another year or two since I actually read the lengthy TOS).

Google had nicely sent me a few emails to warn about the unapproved combination, first one already on 5th of March. I had moved away from reading emails regularly in Gmail a long while back, but forgotten to arrange for these emails from Google APIs to go to my primary email address. Silly me. Since I didn't respond or do anything about the situation, they disabled Maps API, which certainly got my attention.

Oh well. OSM support is disabled for now, and I notified Google that aprs.fi is again compliant with the terms. Should be back soonish.

I might put OSM support back later, and remove Street View instead, as OSM is probably more useful in practice at some areas (although admittedly less visual and "cool"). Or maybe make some sort of arrangement where Street View only works if you have Google Maps selected instead of OSM. Have to check with the Google folks if that's OK.

I'll post updates on Twitter (https://twitter.com/aprsfi) and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/aprs.fi). Stay tuned.

My mistake entirely, although quite a human one. When did you last read the full text of the license agreement of your new software or mobile phone? :)

Posted by Heikki Hannikainen at Thursday, April 02, 2015

On Apr 1, 2015 9:33 PM, "'Anthony (N2KI)' n2ki.ham@... [aprsisce]" <aprsisce@...> wrote:

Hey did anyone else see the disclaimer from Google on aprs.fi?  Looks like Google terminated the use of Google Maps on APRS.fi.  If you open the webpage you get a pop up with the diclaimer to go to  http://www.google.com/intl/en-US/help/terms_maps.html

Could this be the end of aprs.fi as we know it?

Regards,

Anthony (N2KI)

Jack Smith

Unfortunately this was a known event, with an unknown timeline.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-maps-engine-quietly-coming-to-a-halt-as-sign-up-window-shutters/

I’m not big into this, but I do believe that it may just require the author to modify the code appropriately and/or pay (and thus charge) a small fee. Alternatively I suppose he could use the osm tiles, but there’s still server access. They don’t allow unlimited access for free, nor should they.

73,

Jack KE4LWT

Hey did anyone else see the disclaimer from Google on aprs.fi?  Looks like Google terminated the use of Google Maps on APRS.fi.  If you open the webpage you get a pop up with the diclaimer to go to  http://www.google.com/intl/en-US/help/terms_maps.html

Could this be the end of aprs.fi as we know it?

Regards,

Anthony (N2KI)

pfbram@...

Say, if people are reexamining their Google Maps & APRS code, I'm wondering whether it would be possible to ensure that Google Maps applications retain their zoom-level and perspective when a web page is reloaded.  I know this is at least theoretically possible (Google Maps itself behaves this way).  When I work the ISS/etc. I end up generally using the vintage static map on www.ariss.net instead of the Google Maps -- not because Google owns what I do at work (analytics, docs, drive, e-mail, calendaring, etc.), at home web habits, my firstborn's homework on Google Docs, location, my Android cellphone habits, and god knows what else...  Ahem.

But because reloading the desired zoomed-in view sends it back to a global view.  Ideally, it would be great if someone could make an AJAX/etc. hack that made newly-reported beacon callsigns just automatically appear on the current map overlay, so no user-initiated browser re-loading was necessary.  The other quibble I have with Google Maps is for logging purposes.  I like to "Save As..." the page + map before I close down my IGate, for logging the pass activity.  But I note that the stations & icons on a Google Map overlay aren't saved into position in the static & downloaded HTML snapshot.  I suppose taking screenshots would solve that issue?

73, KD0KZE

Hey did anyone else see the disclaimer from Google on aprs.fi?  Looks like Google terminated the use of Google Maps on APRS.fi.  If you open the webpage you get a pop up with the diclaimer to go to  http://www.google.com/intl/en-US/help/terms_maps.html

Could this be the end of aprs.fi as we know it?

Regards,

Anthony (N2KI)

Augustine, KD8NXH

Contrary to popular belief, this is actually only a Terms of Service problem between aprs.fi and google:
Google Maps disabled on aprs.fi temporarily due to a TOS accident
:::

"

[...]

My mistake entirely, although quite a human one. When did you last read the full text of the license agreement of your new application or mobile phone? :)
"

Jack Smith

Geez, I can’t believe that they’re that persnickety!  Well, maybe I can…

73,

Jack KE4LWT