Winbook TW700 and Kenwood D72

Fred Hillhouse

Hi Carl,

Do you have any problem with the WinBook doing something funky when the radio transmits? It appears I am but maybe it is because everything is close at the moment.

Thanks!

Fred N7FMH

Sent: Monday, March 09, 2015 6:06 PM
To: aprsisce@...
Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Winbook TW700 and Kenwood D72

Fred,

I picked up one for a WiRES-X project but bailed on that and have it working for APRSIS32 and the D72 and it works great.  It makes a great portable-pocket sized APRS unit with the D72.  All you need is the USB to Mini USB cable and it is up and running with maps and packet paths.

Carl,KB1EJH

From: "'Fred Hillhouse Jr' fmhillhouse@... [aprsisce]" <aprsisce@...>
To: aprsisce@...; aprsis32cafe@...
Sent: Monday, March 9, 2015 2:56 PM
Subject: [aprsisce] Winbook TW700 and Kenwood D72 [2 Attachments]

[Attachment(s) from Fred Hillhouse Jr included below]

Just in case you are interested in a Windows tablet …

After reading about the WinBook TW700 I decided to buy a couple.

The lower cable plugged into the WinBook is the power (USB micro), next up is a Staples USB hub. Connected to the hub is an USB flash drive with APRSIS32 and the D72.

I haven’t been in range of any other stations so I can’t say I have the correct configuration in APRSIS32 but I was able to read the radio configuration using Kenwood’s software. I will be running everything in my vehicle for the commute home later today.

I have connected the TW700 to the internet through my phone (running a hotspot) so I can have an internet connection if needed.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

Carl Davis

No, it has worked much better than I expected actually.  I do use an old VTECH cable from the kid's toys that has a choke built in to the USB cable, it is only about 12" long overall.  I have used the set up for both this program and for RMS Express on UHF @1200b.  It is a great set up to take to the field with as it is pocket sized.  The screen is a bit small but with the HDMI output and BT for the mouse and keyboard I have it is a winner by far.  I have a Venue8 and it only has the one micro USB which is a pain in the ...  The WinBook with the ports makes it a much better unit.  Try swapping out the cable you are using and it might get rid of the gremlins when the D72 transmits.

Carl,KB1EJH

Sent: Monday, March 9, 2015 6:26 PM
Subject: RE: [aprsisce] Winbook TW700 and Kenwood D72

Hi Carl,

Do you have any problem with the WinBook doing something funky when the radio transmits? It appears I am but maybe it is because everything is close at the moment.

Thanks!
Fred N7FMH

Fred,
I picked up one for a WiRES-X project but bailed on that and have it working for APRSIS32 and the D72 and it works great.  It makes a great portable-pocket sized APRS unit with the D72.  All you need is the USB to Mini USB cable and it is up and running with maps and packet paths.

Carl,KB1EJH

From: "'Fred Hillhouse Jr' fmhillhouse@... [aprsisce]" < aprsisce@... >
To: aprsisce@... ; aprsis32cafe@...

The lower cable plugged into the WinBook is the power (USB micro), next up is a Staples USB hub. Connected to the hub is an USB flash drive with APRSIS32 and the D72.

I haven’t been in range of any other stations so I can’t say I have the correct configuration in APRSIS32 but I was able to read the radio configuration using Kenwood’s software. I will be running everything in my vehicle for the commute home later today.

I have connected the TW700 to the internet through my phone (running a hotspot) so I can have an internet connection if needed.

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH

Fred Hillhouse

Hi Carl,

Good to hear you are successful!

It seems the funky when transmitting is passed. I used several different USB cables with similar and am now back to the original which has a choke.

Are you running from a USB flash drive? I am trying to and for the most part it is okay. I was getting a drive error so I changed the flash drive with the same results. I let the system ‘fix’ the drive and maybe that problem is gone. I did not see it in the short time before heading back inside to my desk.

Did you make any changes to the open/close commands in your XML?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

Sent: Monday, March 09, 2015 7:51 PM

No, it has worked much better than I expected actually.  I do use an old VTECH cable from the kid's toys that has a choke built in to the USB cable, it is only about 12" long overall.  I have used the set up for both this program and for RMS Express on UHF @1200b.  It is a great set up to take to the field with as it is pocket sized.  The screen is a bit small but with the HDMI output and BT for the mouse and keyboard I have it is a winner by far.  I have a Venue8 and it only has the one micro USB which is a pain in the ...  The WinBook with the ports makes it a much better unit.  Try swapping out the cable you are using and it might get rid of the gremlins when the D72 transmits.

Carl,KB1EJH

Hi Carl,

Thanks!

Fred N7FMH

Fred,

Carl,KB1EJH

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

Carl Davis

Running APRSIS32 in the C: drive.  Didn't change anything in the XML, using KWD710 APRS not packet.  Same deal as the home station except that it is a desktop and D710.  Both instances C: and KWD710 APRS setting.  Both are running 8.1 and for quick launch I pinned them to the taskbar.

Carl,KB1EJH

Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 1:55 PM

Hi Carl,

It seems the funky when transmitting is passed. I used several different USB cables with similar and am now back to the original which has a choke.

Are you running from a USB flash drive? I am trying to and for the most part it is okay. I was getting a drive error so I changed the flash drive with the same results. I let the system ‘fix’ the drive and maybe that problem is gone. I did not see it in the short time before heading back inside to my desk.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH

Carl,KB1EJH

Hi Carl,

Thanks!
Fred N7FMH

Fred,

Carl,KB1EJH

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH

Fred Hillhouse

I am thinking the flash drive speed might be making Windows think there is an error. Normally I wouldn’t pan around or be changing much as far a maps are concerned. I might try the C drive as well.

I’ll run it again tonight on the way home and check it out. The quick lunch time test in the parking seemed to work, although I don’t think I saw the D72 beacon.

Interesting, I have never heard the sound before, it works on the tablet. And, there are other things that are different such as what is saved when the program is exited and restarted.

I created tiles and desktop icons for APRSIS32 and MCP-4 but not on the taskbar yet.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 2:19 PM

Running APRSIS32 in the C: drive.  Didn't change anything in the XML, using KWD710 APRS not packet.  Same deal as the home station except that it is a desktop and D710.  Both instances C: and KWD710 APRS setting.  Both are running 8.1 and for quick launch I pinned them to the taskbar.

Carl,KB1EJH

Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 1:55 PM

Hi Carl,

Thanks!

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

Carl,KB1EJH

Hi Carl,

Thanks!

Fred N7FMH

Fred,

Carl,KB1EJH

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH