Kantronics DAYTIME command

kk4lqx@...

Hello,

Is there a way to have APRSIS send the DAYTIME command with the current date and time to a Kantronics TNC? I know the command is DAYTIME and the format is YYMMDDHHMMSS. I'm fairly certain I could insert the DAYTIME command into the <OpenCmd> section of the port config the APRSIS.xml file.

My guess is that it would be <OpenCmd>DAYTIME YYMMDDHHMMSS</OpenCmd> but that's just a guess.

Thanks in advance

Evan

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Unfortunately s don't currently have any fill-in-the-blank parameter substitutions.  Unless you set the correct time in the then it won't ever be set correctly.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

On 2/24/2015 7:40 PM, kk4lqx@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Hello,

Is there a way to have APRSIS send the DAYTIME command with the current date and time to a Kantronics TNC? I know the command is DAYTIME and the format is YYMMDDHHMMSS. I'm fairly certain I could insert the DAYTIME command into the  section of the port config the APRSIS.xml file.

My guess is that it would be DAYTIME YYMMDDHHMMSS but that's just a guess.

Thanks in advance

Evan

R. Patrick Ryan

Again, not having a way to connect to your TNC in a terminal mode (exit KISS mode) while in the program to allow and operator to refine parameters and settings in the TNC, like the internal clock,and then easily return to the APRSIS32 program, is a very annoying flaw.

Bob WB4APR has had this exit and re-enter feature for a long time in the APRSdos version, and it is really useful for those Kantronics TNC users to access the TNC command set that is blocked by APRSIS32 program running the TNC is Kiss mode.

Will there ever be a TNC Terminal Mode version of APRSIS32 for real operators?

73 de Pat KC6VVT

Randy Love

Pat,

Why the need to set the date/time in the KPC3?

APRSIS32 sets the date and time stamp information on the packets it receives internal to the program. It doesn't use the time from the TNC.

Are you looking for APRSIS32 to become a dumb terminal in addition to a very well written APRS application, which is it's purpose?

Is there concurrent connected and APRS traffic on the same channel where you are? That would seem very inefficient use of bandwidth to this real operator.

Randy
WF5X

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 8:20 AM, kc6vvt@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

Again, not having a way to connect to your TNC in a terminal mode (exit KISS mode) while in the program to allow and operator to refine parameters and settings in the TNC, like the internal clock,and then easily return to the APRSIS32 program, is a very annoying flaw.

Bob WB4APR has had this exit and re-enter feature for a long time in the APRSdos version, and it is really useful for those Kantronics TNC users to access the TNC command set that is blocked by APRSIS32 program running the TNC is Kiss mode.

73 de Pat KC6VVT

Lynn Deffenbaugh

On 2/25/2015 8:20 AM, kc6vvt@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Disable the port, bring up a terminal emulator, do your thing, and re-enable the port. It's not really that hard. You don't even need to close APRSIS32 to do it.

Bob WB4APR has had this exit and re-enter feature for a long time in the APRSdos version,
And I recall reading somewhere that, like UI-View, the source code to Bob's APRSdos doesn't exist any more. Ouch.

and it is really useful for those Kantronics TNC users to access the TNC command set that is blocked by APRSIS32 program running the TNC is Kiss mode.
APRSIS32 doesn't explicitly block the port. It is blocked by Windows because COMM ports are not implicitly shareable.

Have you tried using one of the virtual serial port programs that let multiple programs open a pseudo-port which is internally associated with a "real" port? You could point both APRSISCE/32 and your favorite terminal emulator to the shareable port and hack at the command to your heart's content. I don't have any assurances that APRSISCE/32 will like what you're doing, though.

What's a "fake" operator? "Real" folks use *nix which, to my knowledge, frowns on swiss-army-knife applications and delivers single function tools for the user to cobble together to make something more useful. What business does a terminal emulator have in an APRS client application?

PS. Short answer for those that get this far: yes, eventually APRSISCE/32 will have some terminal-type access to TNC ports.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

On 2/24/2015 7:40 PM, kk4lqx@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Is there a way to have APRSIS send the DAYTIME command with the current date and time to a Kantronics TNC? I know the command is DAYTIME and the format is YYMMDDHHMMSS. I'm fairly certain I could insert the DAYTIME command into the <OpenCmd> section of the port config the APRSIS.xml file.

My guess is that it would be <OpenCmd>DAYTIME YYMMDDHHMMSS</OpenCmd> but that's just a guess.
If you're running the TNC in KISS mode, it becomes a dumb modem anyway, so why worry about telling it what time it is?

If you're not running in KISS mode, which port type are you using in APRSISCE/32 that allows the TNC to do work while still allowing APRSISCE/32 transmit access? I'm really curious.

Rob Giuliano

Don't forget that in order for the terminal program to do "its thing", it needs to change the TNC mode.  The TNC 'should be' in KISS mode when APRSIS32 running.  In order to change settings, you will need to change out of KISS mode (to command mode) in order to modify the TNC settings.
The only reason I can see for have this is if the GPS is connected to the TNC and the TNC is capable of "beaconing" on its own.  To my knowledge, the Kantronics TNCs are not able to do this when placed in KISS mode. 

It seems the sequence of events for something like this would be something like:
  APRSIS32 running
  Open Terminal -> Automatic force KISS EXIT?
      APRSIS32 still running, but RF capability is DISABLED because TNC is in the wrong mode
      Do whatever 'Terminal activity' you desire
   Exit Terminal -> Automatic re-enter KISS mode?
      APRSIS32 still running and RF is "capable" again
      Nothing done in the terminal is being used as the TNC is in KISS mode. 

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

---------------------------------------------

To: aprsisce@...
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 8:57 AM
Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Re: Kantronics DAYTIME command

On 2/25/2015 8:20 AM, kc6vvt@... [aprsisce] wrote:
>
> Again, not having a way to connect to your TNC in a terminal mode
> (exit KISS mode) while in the program to allow and operator to refine
> parameters and settings in the TNC, like the internal clock,and then
> easily return to the APRSIS32 program, is a very annoying flaw.

Disable the port, bring up a terminal emulator, do your thing, and
re-enable the port. It's not really that hard. You don't even need to
close APRSIS32 to do it.

>
> Bob WB4APR has had this exit and re-enter feature for a long time in
> the APRSdos version,

And I recall reading somewhere that, like UI-View, the source code to
Bob's APRSdos doesn't exist any more. Ouch.

> and it is really useful for those Kantronics TNC users to access the
> TNC command set that is blocked by APRSIS32 program running the TNC is
> Kiss mode.

APRSIS32 doesn't explicitly block the port. It is blocked by Windows
because COMM ports are not implicitly shareable.

Have you tried using one of the virtual serial port programs that let
multiple programs open a pseudo-port which is internally associated with
a "real" port? You could point both APRSISCE/32 and your favorite
terminal emulator to the shareable port and hack at the command to your
heart's content. I don't have any assurances that APRSISCE/32 will like
what you're doing, though.

>
> Will there ever be a TNC Terminal Mode version of APRSIS32 for real
> operators?

What's a "fake" operator? "Real" folks use *nix which, to my knowledge,
frowns on swiss-army-knife applications and delivers single function
tools for the user to cobble together to make something more useful.
What business does a terminal emulator have in an APRS client application?

PS. Short answer for those that get this far: yes, eventually
APRSISCE/32 will have some terminal-type access to TNC ports.

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 5:20 AM, kc6vvt@... [aprsisce]
<aprsisce@...> wrote:

Again, not having a way to connect to your TNC in a terminal mode (exit KISS
mode) while in the program to allow and operator to refine parameters and
settings in the TNC, like the internal clock,and then easily return to the
APRSIS32 program, i
Bob WB4APR has had this exit and re-enter feature for a long time in the
APRSdos version, and it is really useful for those Kantronics TNC users to
access the TNC command set

Similarly JNOS has a simple built in Terminal emulator, KISS Parms,
and a way to send simple text to a 'port.' All are very handy when
dealing with a cranky TNC interface.

Bill

kk4lqx@...

For me I use my TNC for a varity of things not just APRS, although that is where it spends 90% of it's time. I was just curious if it were possible. Is a setting it might as well be correct. Sorry to stir up such a hornets nest.

Bill Erhardt

Howdy from Bill K7MT.  I just went ahead and got the RTC (Real Time Clock) for $12.00, set the time, and the internal battery keeps it tickin. Even after being powered off for a couple three days the time was really close. There is an adjustment command daytweak if needed.

Rob Giuliano

Those work well, and I'd recommend the "tweak".
Way back when on my KPC-3, time ran a bit slow.  I would make a "small change" to DayTweak and check it every "few days" when it matched for a month, I left it (that was 1 second in a month - pretty good fro me).

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 11:08 PM
Subject: [aprsisce] Re: Kantronics DAYTIME command

Howdy from Bill K7MT.  I just went ahead and got the RTC (Real Time Clock) for $12.00, set the time, and the internal battery keeps it tickin. Even after being powered off for a couple three days the time was really close. There is an adjustment command daytweak if needed.

kk4lqx@...

Do they work with the KAM-E?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

What is "they"?  Does "what" work with KAM-E?

Please don't trim your messages such that they no longer stand alone.  Not everyone uses a threaded e-mail viewer nor reads Yahoo groups on the web.

If you feel compelled to trim everything, then please restate a question that asks what you want and doesn't assume any prior context knowledge.

On 2/26/2015 6:27 PM, kk4lqx@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Do they work with the KAM-E?

kk4lqx@...

Sorry Lynn, I didn't mean to trim my messages down at all. I simply clicked the reply button and responded.

Do the Real Time Clock (RTC) chips work with the KAM All-Mode w/Enhancement board? I would love to add them to both of mine just want to verify before I purchase one. I have read over the manuals and don't see any mention of them although it's entirely possible that the manual predates the chip even though it's still supported, like the GPS commands are.

Evan

Rob Giuliano

I can't answer directly, but an idea of where to look:
If it is not on the manual, I'd suggest taking off the cover and checking the circuit board.  I know the KPC-3 had a location on the board labeled fro the RTC.

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:30 PM

Sorry Lynn, I didn't mean to trim my messages down at all. I simply clicked the reply button and responded.

Do the Real Time Clock (RTC) chips work with the KAM All-Mode w/Enhancement board? I would love to add them to both of mine just want to verify before I purchase one. I have read over the manuals and don't see any mention of them although it's entirely possible that the manual predates the chip even though it's still supported, like the GPS commands are.

Evan

kk4lqx@...

So to answer the question of weather or not a KAM TNC can support a Real Time Clock Chip, the answer is yes. In fact all KAMs with the Enhancement Board already have the RTC Chip!

The chip is marked:
"DALLAS
DS1215
9131D3"

Evan

---In APRSISCE@..., <kb8rco@...> wrote :

I can't answer directly, but an idea of where to look:
If it is not on the manual, I'd suggest taking off the cover and checking the circuit board.  I know the KPC-3 had a location on the board labeled fro the RTC.

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:30 PM

Evan