What do these things mean APRSISCE

Curtis Wagner

When trying to receive offline, what does it mean when you constantly have your callsign appearing on the left side where other id's would be? Also what does it mean when you click on the bottom one which is the most recent and it says "beacon 11minutes 20 seconds ago" but the "internal" says 8 seconds ago? So far, no luck with the new Kenwood in getting packets decoded, so that tells me the TT4 must be one sensitive device. There *HAS* to be some leeway within the rxamp and cdlevel within the TT4. It cannot *have* to be at that precise level. I just tried for an hour with the Kenwood with no asterick next to my callsign that Lynn tells me, is the clue to knowing you are receiving offline. Two radios and about 20 hours of time cannot lie, I have followed instructions and tried most combos of rxamp, cdlevel, and volume on these radios, and no idea why I cannot get an asterick to appear next to my callsign to show success. Emails to hams in the area that are *experts* with the TT4 have went unanswered after 3 weeks. I'll keep trying as the days go on and see if I can't see that asterick, but this is really becoming futile. Wayyyyy too much effort being put into this.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

It's a futile effort to tune the TT4 by watching for an asterisk to appear in the APRSISCE/32 packet scroller.  You really need to use a terminal emulator with the TT4 port in TEXT mode and keep APRSISCE/32 and KISS out of the picture until you get reliable packet decodes showing up in the terminal emulator.  That's the only way I know of to get a TT4 tuned using MONitor and RXAMP settings in conjunction with the radio's volume into the TT4.

As for the beacon stuff, please e-mail your APRSIS32.XML file to me at KJ4ERJ@....  I'm suspecting you've got something turned off or on or otherwise not at default.

I will get back to you on the .DOCx file and some of the other things you ask below, but short, targeted questions are easier/quicker to answer.

On 2/20/2015 4:18 PM, godfather_waggo@... [aprsisce] wrote:

[...]

Are "reliable packet decodes" in the emulator when all the values are consistently around 80?

James Ewen

So you've sent email messages to local hams... Do you have a radio? I would guess the answer is yes siince you talk about having a couple HTs... Try tuning to a local repeater, and talking to locals on the repeater. One might be one of the people you are trying to email...

Are there any ham radio clubs in the area? What about attending a meeting and seeing if there's anyone knowledgable at the meeting.

From: "godfather_waggo@... [aprsisce]" <aprsisce@...>
Sender: aprsisce@...
Date: 20 Feb 2015 13:18:04 -0800
To: <aprsisce@...>
ReplyTo: aprsisce@...
Subject: [aprsisce] What do these things mean APRSISCE

[...]

Reliable packet decodes are when you actually see decoded packets in the terminal emulator when running the port in TEXT mode.  That occurs once you've tuned the MONitor values for between 80-90 when a good-sounding packet is being received and then reset the TT4 so that it actually starts decoding and showing you data.

I use an audio splitter cable and ear-buds to listen to the audio being fed to the TT4 so I know which numbers to trust.  Otherwise, you're flying blind about when you're hearing static, collided packets, or whatever happens to be on the frequency at the time.

It's really handy to have another APRS station available when you're trying to tune up a new TT4/radio combination.  Then you can transmit on demand and watch the monitor values, as well as watch the monitor values when the other station shows a good packet received.

Is there anyone around you that's already doing APRS over RF that might be able to come by and assist first-hand?

APRSISCE/32 isn't your issue at this point, it's getting a TT4 that can receive and decode packets.  Once that is done, I suspect the APRSISCE/32 side of things will be a no brainer.  At least, I hope so since that's the intent for the "out of the box" experience with the software.

On 2/20/2015 4:39 PM, godfather_waggo@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Are "reliable packet decodes" in the emulator when all the values are consistently around 80?

Curtis Wagner

Well I think the flying blind part is accurate because when I was trying with the wouxun I would see values change on the monitor command but had no idea if it was a packet or what it was. The thing I did in that instance was, I had 2 laptops, so I turned one to the aprs website and the other was watching the emulator and monitor.....and when the aprs updated I'd stop the emulator and go back and review the numbers that came in to see if they were around the 80 I was being told. Since I have 2 radios as of today I could probably do what you mentioned, but I am not sure if I have an audio splitter cable. Also, I just had to go pick up my little one and on the way I thought about it. When adjusting rxamp, if you put it at 10, for example, the max values when the volume it 1/4 of the way is about 79 on the monitor command, when you put rxamp at 15 the monitor is at 127. So I would make sense the rxamp needs to be between 10 and 15 since those are the min and max values you get on monitor when the volume is at a "max."  Perhaps if I can't get that splitter cable, I can get out the 2 computers, watch the aprs website and check the packets to see where they are at. If its between 80-90 consistently and I try to see if I'm "offline" if you will on aprsisce and I'm not.........well then who knows. I know if I'm getting good packets on the emulator it should work, but it just seems I've tuned it to between 80-90 before and nothing, but who knows. Just got the kenwood today, so perhaps if I take another hour or two, I might get it to work. Time will tell........

Oh and I've tried to email TT4 experts in the area, over a month ago, to no reply. Can't seem to find any "nice" people that will come over and help me out.........wish I could find someone, its what I'd prefer.......

Lynn Deffenbaugh

There's almost no way I can imagine to reliably use watching the "aprs website" (by which I assume you mean aprs.fi) to know what packet was just on the air being heard by my radio/TNC combination.  With dupe filtering, multiple digi/Igates handling a packet, and just the vagueries of RF and APRS-IS propagation, it just doesn't line up.

And remember that the values you need to watch are the ones displayed while a packet is being received, not the background noise that's forever on the channel (I assume you're running open squelch removing the radio's squelch break timing variable from the decoding equation).  If you've got two radios, just tune one to your local APRS frequency and listen with your ears while the other is connected to the TNC.  Assuming similar antennas, they'll be hearing the same thing and you'll know if it's a packet, static, or just plain carrier with noise.  You're looking for (relatively) pure tones without much noise in them to look at and try to control the monitor values.

Too bad about the local APRS folks.   I will offer that if you're ever in my neck of the woods with all of your gear, I'd be glad to help you overcome this hurdle.  I was going to say "but don't come now, it's downright cold outside", but then I realized that it's probably colder where you are than where I am anyway!  (http://aprs.fi/KJ4ERJ-12)

On 2/20/2015 5:47 PM, godfather_waggo@... [aprsisce] wrote:
[...]

Greg Depew

Don't use the website. It is delayed and heavily filtered. Now that you have 2 radios turn them both on to the aprs freq and listen. When one hears a packet the other will as well then follow the directions from Lynn about terminal emulator and TEXT mode.

Greg KB3KBR Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone