HF Path 10147.600

Bill Erhardt

Howdy gang,

I am testing an HF Igate here in Montana and see several different paths. I
copied one echo,gate,wide2-1 and that is the one I have had on the air for
a couple three days.

I looked and look and cannot find a good source for correct HF path on APRS.
Help !!!! I hope I don't get four different answers !! Hee Hee !!

Thanks in advance.

Bill K7MT
http://www.k7mt.com

sbd sbd

No Path is the usual option, of the few digipeaters on HF use ECHO to get a digipeat. Pretty much all HF stations are igates.

In fact digipeating has caused lots of arguments and is best avoided, you really don’t need to generally.

GATE is used to get the few crossband systems to gate you from HF to VHF, I don’t see the need to get sent out to VHF possibly thousands of miles away.

On the Frequency you put in the title watch for the Boeing 737 over Europe

Hope the above helps

Steve

G6UIM

I am testing an HF Igate here in Montana and see several different paths. I
copied one echo,gate,wide2-1 and that is the one I have had on the air for
a couple three days.

I looked and look and cannot find a good source for correct HF path on APRS.
Help !!!! I hope I don't get four different answers !! Hee Hee !!

Thanks in advance.

Bill K7MT
http://www.k7mt.com

Lynn Deffenbaugh

You will likely get as many answers as you get responders with any question about paths. Here's my understanding:

1) Most APRS on HF requires no path whatsoever. Shorter packets rule and digipeaters are particularly unhelpful on HF, especially without the FM capture effect that assists decoding simultaneous digipeats on VHF.

2) If you DO want to use a digipeater, then the standard has been ECHO to the best of my knowledge.

3) The GATE path component is asking receivers to gate the received packet onto the local VHF APRS frequency if they are capable of that.

4) Anything after the GATE is the path requested for said VHF cross-band-repeated packet.

So ECHO,GATE,WIDE2-1 is asking any ECHO-based digipeaters to repeat the packet and any receiving station to gate the packet to their local VHF APRS frequency with a path of WIDE2-1.

On 11/20/2014 7:00 PM, 'Bill Erhardt' k7mt@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Howdy gang,

I am testing an HF Igate here in Montana and see several different paths. I
copied one echo,gate,wide2-1 and that is the one I have had on the air for
a couple three days.

I looked and look and cannot find a good source for correct HF path on APRS.
Help !!!! I hope I don't get four different answers !! Hee Hee !!

Thanks in advance.

Bill K7MT
http://www.k7mt.com

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Bill Erhardt" <k7mt@...>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Bill Erhardt

Thanks everyone,

I took out the path as I am just an HF Igate with no gating using a USB Signalink for HF packet. When I first approached this HF idea, it was suggested I run separate copies of APRSIS32 one for VHF and one for HF and that works just fine. I have  Kantronics Kam Plus that has the gate possibility HF > VHF but will leave it as is for now as it is working.

I am also running UISS on 145.825 and Igating ISS and NO-44 aprs traffic. I like UISS and there is a setting to beacon only when it hears the ISS or NO-44 and then stops beaconing after the last heard.  This way it does not transmit when the satellites are not in view.

This is important as my IGATES, Weather Station, Computer, internet wireless connection, and all the equipment is on solar. In winter I approach that fine line of output vs input on the power scheme so think sunshine !!!!

I really enjoy APRS since KI0BJ Rex and I were the only two stations in Montana about 2000 !!!! I have watched it grow over years and enjoy seeing new stations show up in Montana even after all these years.  APRS Rocks and I and truly having fun learning.

A big thanks to N5DTX-8 who stops in the say howdy most mornings on HF APRS Packet.

Thanks everyone
Bill K7MT
home