Help with Win 7 instalation

John Eroh

I installed aprisce on my Dell NetBook with Win 7 but when I try to run it, the little screen where you put in your callsign, etc comes up. When I press the button to run all it does is flash and freeze the screen. I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to do anything else.

Any ideas?

Somebody told me to use ubungtu but with a little ADD and after having a stroke I don't do well programing & stuff reguiring a lot of short-term memory. Being a senior doesing help much either even tho i've done electronics all my adult life. Oh yeah, add in tremors which cause me to add extra letters.

So basically, i'm asking for a windows based solution. I was going to use my Vista laptop which it runs great on in the car until the backlight went out.

73,

John N4SME

Greg Depew

Have you unzipped the file to somewhere other than under program files? Win 7/8 doesn't like stuff installed under there. And if you try to run it from the zip file it will not work correctly.

From: ssgeroh@...
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 00:56:14
To: <aprsisce@...>
Subject: [aprsisce] Help with Win 7 instalation

I installed aprisce on my Dell NetBook with Win 7 but when I try to run it, the little screen where you put in your callsign, etc comes up. When I press the button to run all it does is flash and freeze the screen. I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to do anything else.

Any ideas?

Somebody told me to use ubungtu but with a little ADD and after having a stroke I don't do well programing & stuff reguiring a lot of short-term memory. Being a senior doesing help much either even tho i've done electronics all my adult life. Oh yeah, add in tremors which cause me to add extra letters.

So basically, i'm asking for a windows based solution. I was going to use my Vista laptop which it runs great on in the car until the backlight went out.

73,
John N4SME

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Watch the introductory video and follow the instructions at:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/initial-startup

From: ssgeroh@...
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 00:56:14
To: <aprsisce@...>

I installed aprisce on my Dell NetBook with Win 7 but when I try to run it, the little screen where you put in your callsign, etc comes up. When I press the button to run all it does is flash and freeze the screen. I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to do anything else.
Any ideas?
Somebody told me to use ubungtu but with a little ADD and after having a stroke I don't do well programing & stuff reguiring a lot of short-term memory. Being a senior doesing help much either even tho i've done electronics all my adult life. Oh yeah, add in tremors which cause me to add extra letters.
So basically, i'm asking for a windows based solution. I was going to use my Vista laptop which it runs great on in the car until the backlight went out.
73,
John N4SME

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

sbd sbd

Maybe an update to the wiki is in order. Put the file outside the program
files folder. And Make sure you uncompressed the file.
As Greg says
The windows protection system is more of a pain than a help.
It does not stop viri but makes it a pain for users installing non approved
by Microsoft developers (which costs)

Steve Daniels
Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM
Torbay Freecycle Owner

From: ssgeroh@...
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 00:56:14
To: <aprsisce@...>

[...]

Tony VE6MVP

At 06:00 PM 2014-01-25, Greg Depew wrote:

>Have you unzipped the file to somewhere other than under program
>files?  Win 7/8 doesn't like stuff installed under there.

That last sentence is wrong.   Windows 7 and 8 quite like software being installed in Program Files. That is the proper location for software.  The problem is that much amateur radio software does not like being installed there because the authors insist on putting all the settings files in the same folder as the software or subfolders.  This is now DOS software behaved by default.   This is also directly against the Microsoft standards which have been present since Windows NT 4.0 if not earlier.  The various settings files and downloadable files such as the mapping tiles should be placed in the users Applications Data folder.   Now what happened in Windows 7 is that Microsoft has been tightening up  how things work.

Tony  (software programmer)

Lynn Deffenbaugh

This is not the group to discuss the (de)merits of uSoft's operating system design decision.  Greg was just stating the facts as they relate to APRSISCE/32.