GPS units

sbd sbd

Well my experience With the adafruit breakout GPS module has been good. Took it a couple of minutes from cold start, to work out where it was, that from new.

It does much the same after a power cycle, I have no battery attached to it

Will run from 3.3 or 5V  serial output is 3.3V so you might need to use an interface if using TTL levels.

Obviously I am using it for my RPI projects, but it’s good to feed other things with a bit of interface work.

Steve Daniels

Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

Torbay Freecycle  Owner

I have used several of the SparkFun GPS modules.
None for Timer Service, but plan on possibly doing that soon.

What a combo: GPS data and Time standard from the same device!
Could be useful!

Well my experience With the adafruit breakout GPS module has been good. Took it a couple of minutes from cold start, to work out where it was, that from new.
It does much the same after a power cycle, I have no battery attached to it
Will run from 3.3 or 5V  serial output is 3.3V so you might need to use an interface if using TTL levels.

Obviously I am using it for my RPI projects, but it’s good to feed other things with a bit of interface work.

Steve Daniels
Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM
Torbay Freecycle  Owner
APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

sbd sbd

Well I got asked to do data modes for the Olympics in Weymouth, to find the laptop time was out enough that JT-65 did not work.

Using an adafruit breakout board GPS, that will run from 5V or 3.3V. Enable input and fix output. Handy for balloons.

Cold starts very quickly. To the point that I have not sorted the battery backup.

Have had it supplying APRSIS32 via GPSD with location. And time via the normal NMEA sentences.

Got it running in user mode for NTP time easily, Which to be honest is good enough.

But attempting to get the more accurate kernel mode working, which is more of a problem. On my second 10 hour long compile!!

When it’s working will torrent an image for everyone, as I will with an added TNC-Pi setup using XASTIR.

I am hoping we can get APRSISMO working on the Pi. Currently there is a graphics driver issue that stops it running. To do with 3D hardware acceleration if I recall.

Steve Daniels

Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

Torbay Freecycle  Owner

Well my experience With the adafruit breakout GPS module has been good. Took it a couple of minutes from cold start, to work out where it was, that from new.

It does much the same after a power cycle, I have no battery attached to it

Will run from 3.3 or 5V  serial output is 3.3V so you might need to use an interface if using TTL levels.

Obviously I am using it for my RPI projects, but it’s good to feed other things with a bit of interface work.

Steve Daniels

Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

Torbay Freecycle  Owner

APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

Dave Aitch OCN <daveocn@...>

Please replace the word "Weymouth" with the words "Island & Royal Manor of Portland".

I thank you.

Dave G1OCN.

On 27 January 2014 11:24, Steve Daniels <steve@...> wrote:

[...]

Gary Sanders

Don't know if you've seen this:
http://www.talkunafraid.co.uk/2012/12/the-ntpi-accurate-time-with-a-raspberry-pi-and-venus638flpx/

I did similar, and never could tame the thing down - the jitter was
really bad - to the point that it really wasn't usable.

I was driving the PPS with the PPS output from a Trimble Thunderbolt
GPSDO, so I know the PPS was good. I understand that the RasPi
occasionally strips out some Oscillator clock pulses for some reason,
and I suspect that may be the cause.

More later - have to go to an appointment.

Gary Sanders
W0BY

On 1/27/2014 6:24 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:

[...]

I need to test in a better way to be absolutely sure. And I will port
forward my router so people can see for themselves.
My current setup provides GPS location to any device or software capable of
receiving location and time data from a GPSD system. APRSIS32 is capable of
that.
NTP time for access from any device. Using the PPS in kernel mode rather
than user mode.
Also a samba install to allow monitoring from a windows pc.
And SNMP for remote monitoring as this is intended as a headless system.

Currently showing a bit of jitter on the GPS time as expected, but zero
jitter on the PPS.

I can create an image of the SD card. And torrent if people are interested.

[...]

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

sbd sbd

Those wanting to try GPSD or even my NTP server can do, the IP address is 91.84.215.75 it’s a static address.

Obviously only for testing as GPSD will give my location, and you would be better of using a proper time server.

My NTP system is really to try and get a reasonable time on a non internet connected system, such as Field day.

If you are attaching a GPS to a pi you might as well do as much as possible with it.

As you can see PPS jitter is good GPS time data not so good. Obviously a bit of work to do. For comparison I am linked to a UK ntp pool hence the other info.

The GPS is not designed for time reference but does have a PPS output.

Lynn is you want to connect to GPSD for testing please do it should be running 24/7 APRSIS32 uses it just fine

Steve Daniels

Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

Torbay Freecycle  Owner

I did similar, and never could tame the thing down - the jitter was
really bad - to the point that it really wasn't usable.

I was driving the PPS with the PPS output from a Trimble Thunderbolt
GPSDO, so I know the PPS was good. I understand that the RasPi
occasionally strips out some Oscillator clock pulses for some reason,
and I suspect that may be the cause.

More later - have to go to an appointment.

Gary Sanders
W0BY

On 1/27/2014 6:24 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:

> Well I got asked to do data modes for the Olympics in Weymouth, to find
> the laptop time was out enough that JT-65 did not work.
>
> Using an adafruit breakout board GPS, that will run from 5V or 3.3V.
> Enable input and fix output. Handy for balloons.
>
> Cold starts very quickly. To the point that I have not sorted the
> battery backup.
>
> Have had it supplying APRSIS32 via GPSD with location. And time via the
> normal NMEA sentences.
>
> Got it running in user mode for NTP time easily, Which to be honest is
> good enough.
>
> But attempting to get the more accurate kernel mode working, which is
> more of a problem. On my second 10 hour long compile!!
>
> When it's working will torrent an image for everyone, as I will with an
> added TNC-Pi setup using XASTIR.
>
> I am hoping we can get APRSISMO working on the Pi. Currently there is a
> graphics driver issue that stops it running. To do with 3D hardware
> acceleration if I recall.
>
> Steve Daniels

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Fred Hillhouse

What is the port? I am trying it this morning and I am not located yet.

What are you doing at field day that requires the accuracy from NTP? I would think the GPS would provide a satisfactory time stamp.

Fred N7FMH

I did similar, and never could tame the thing down - the jitter was
really bad - to the point that it really wasn't usable.

I was driving the PPS with the PPS output from a Trimble Thunderbolt
GPSDO, so I know the PPS was good. I understand that the RasPi
occasionally strips out some Oscillator clock pulses for some reason,
and I suspect that may be the cause.

More later - have to go to an appointment.

Gary Sanders
W0BY

On 1/27/2014 6:24 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:

> Well I got asked to do data modes for the Olympics in Weymouth, to find
> the laptop time was out enough that JT-65 did not work.
>
> Using an adafruit breakout board GPS, that will run from 5V or 3.3V.
> Enable input and fix output. Handy for balloons.
>
> Cold starts very quickly. To the point that I have not sorted the
> battery backup.
>
> Have had it supplying APRSIS32 via GPSD with location. And time via the
> normal NMEA sentences.
>
> Got it running in user mode for NTP time easily, Which to be honest is
> good enough.
>
> But attempting to get the more accurate kernel mode working, which is
> more of a problem. On my second 10 hour long compile!!
>
> When it's working will torrent an image for everyone, as I will with an
> added TNC-Pi setup using XASTIR.
>
> I am hoping we can get APRSISMO working on the Pi. Currently there is a
> graphics driver issue that stops it running. To do with 3D hardware
> acceleration if I recall.
>
> Steve Daniels

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

sbd sbd

Standard GPSD port of 2947 should work unless I have messed up the router settings

Not doing anything that requires the accuracy. But as the GPS has a PPS output I thought I might just as well use it

Steve Daniels

Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

Torbay Freecycle  Owner

What is the port? I am trying it this morning and I am not located yet.

What are you doing at field day that requires the accuracy from NTP? I would think the GPS would provide a satisfactory time stamp.

Fred N7FMH

I did similar, and never could tame the thing down - the jitter was
really bad - to the point that it really wasn't usable.

I was driving the PPS with the PPS output from a Trimble Thunderbolt
GPSDO, so I know the PPS was good. I understand that the RasPi
occasionally strips out some Oscillator clock pulses for some reason,
and I suspect that may be the cause.

More later - have to go to an appointment.

Gary Sanders
W0BY

On 1/27/2014 6:24 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:

> Well I got asked to do data modes for the Olympics in Weymouth, to find
> the laptop time was out enough that JT-65 did not work.
>
> Using an adafruit breakout board GPS, that will run from 5V or 3.3V.
> Enable input and fix output. Handy for balloons.
>
> Cold starts very quickly. To the point that I have not sorted the
> battery backup.
>
> Have had it supplying APRSIS32 via GPSD with location. And time via the
> normal NMEA sentences.
>
> Got it running in user mode for NTP time easily, Which to be honest is
> good enough.
>
> But attempting to get the more accurate kernel mode working, which is
> more of a problem. On my second 10 hour long compile!!
>
> When it's working will torrent an image for everyone, as I will with an
> added TNC-Pi setup using XASTIR.
>
> I am hoping we can get APRSISMO working on the Pi. Currently there is a
> graphics driver issue that stops it running. To do with 3D hardware
> acceleration if I recall.
>
> Steve Daniels

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Fred Hillhouse

The port fixed the lack of signal! Thanks!

I installed GPSd on my RPi yesterday. I haven’t tried running it yet since I still have to connect the GPS. I am going to use a regular serial GPS and use an FTDI dual port USB to RS232 (USB-COM232-PLUS2).

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

What is the port? I am trying it this morning and I am not located yet.

What are you doing at field day that requires the accuracy from NTP? I would think the GPS would provide a satisfactory time stamp.

Fred N7FMH

I did similar, and never could tame the thing down - the jitter was
really bad - to the point that it really wasn't usable.

I was driving the PPS with the PPS output from a Trimble Thunderbolt
GPSDO, so I know the PPS was good. I understand that the RasPi
occasionally strips out some Oscillator clock pulses for some reason,
and I suspect that may be the cause.

More later - have to go to an appointment.

Gary Sanders
W0BY

On 1/27/2014 6:24 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:

> Well I got asked to do data modes for the Olympics in Weymouth, to find
> the laptop time was out enough that JT-65 did not work.
>
> Using an adafruit breakout board GPS, that will run from 5V or 3.3V.
> Enable input and fix output. Handy for balloons.
>
> Cold starts very quickly. To the point that I have not sorted the
> battery backup.
>
> Have had it supplying APRSIS32 via GPSD with location. And time via the
> normal NMEA sentences.
>
> Got it running in user mode for NTP time easily, Which to be honest is
> good enough.
>
> But attempting to get the more accurate kernel mode working, which is
> more of a problem. On my second 10 hour long compile!!
>
> When it's working will torrent an image for everyone, as I will with an
> added TNC-Pi setup using XASTIR.
>
> I am hoping we can get APRSISMO working on the Pi. Currently there is a
> graphics driver issue that stops it running. To do with 3D hardware
> acceleration if I recall.
>
> Steve Daniels

Yahoo Groups Links