Topics

Can't enable RF port

T W

I am using the D710 configuration that is listed on the wiki. No matter what I do I can't get the port to enable. Is there more configuration that I'm missing?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Please clarify "can't get the port to enable".  Is it that the Enable is grayed out, that Enable checks and nothing happens, or what are the symptoms you are experiencing.

Also, which D710 port type are you using, there are multiple choices.

And what callsign-SSID is your D710 and APRSISCE/32 instance?

On 9/26/2013 6:03 PM, kf6kyd@... wrote:
I am using the D710 configuration that is listed on the wiki. No matter what I do I can't get the port to enable. Is there more configuration that I'm missing?

T W

Under enable > ports > all is selected and and the 710 port is not grayed out. I simply can't select it.

Under configure > port > D710, I check enabled and accept and it does not enable.

I am connected to the com port on the control head.

Both SSID's are set to kf6kyd-1.

Thanks Lynn.

On Sep 26, 2013, at 8:03 PM, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Please clarify "can't get the port to enable".  Is it that the Enable is grayed out, that Enable checks and nothing happens, or what are the symptoms you are experiencing.

Also, which D710 port type are you using, there are multiple choices.

And what callsign-SSID is your D710 and APRSISCE/32 instance?

On 9/26/2013 6:03 PM, kf6kyd@... wrote:
I am using the D710 configuration that is listed on the wiki. No matter what I do I can't get the port to enable. Is there more configuration that I'm missing?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Can you do the following:

1) Check Enables / Logging / Port()

2) Check Enables / Logging / File Enabled

3) Attempt to enable your port.

4) Close the client

5) E-mail your APRSIS32.XML file and all APRSIS32*.LOG files to KJ4ERJ@... that are in the default directory. Feel free to zip them up.

PS. I'm suspecting that your COMM port is either not configured properly or is open in another application or is not currently known to the system (a USB serial adapter plugged into a different port will change COMn numbers)

On 9/26/2013 9:34 PM, Thomas Hole wrote:
[...]

Leon Decker

I have a different issue when trying to enable the KISS or Kenwood port types.  they don't show

Only the kiss simple choice appears

I have a TH-D72a  I canget the GPS reading through the NMEA port

Leon

Lynn Deffenbaugh

What version are you running?  You may have to update to the Development version using the instructions on the Wiki page blow.  The KISS (not Simpl;y) port type will do any of the Kenwood APRS radios (except the D74, I believe) provided that you have the internal TNC in Packet mode before starting APRSISCE/32 or enabling the port.

On 10/16/2016 3:18 AM, leond@... [aprsisce] wrote:

I have a different issue when trying to enable the KISS or Kenwood port types.  they don't show

Only the kiss simple choice appears

I have a TH-D72a  I canget the GPS reading through the NMEA port

Leon

Leon Decker

I am not able to get any port type except KISS(Simply) so I updated to the development build with the same result.  I have this running on a laptop.  The problem is a tablet.  Both are running windows 10.
I have copied the .xml file from the laptop to the tablet and it still doesn't work and is not recognized when I open the port to configure.  It seems that something in the tablet prevents most of the port types.  Do you know of any possible solutions?  It may be that its not going to work.
The NMEA GPS port works with the radio to update the GPS function.
Thanks for any help.
Leon

---- On Sun, 16 Oct 2016, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh ' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] (aprsisce@...) wrote:

What version are you running?  You may have to update to
the Development
version using the instructions on the Wiki page blow. The KISS
(not
Simpl;y) port type will do any of the Kenwood APRS radios
(except the
D74, I believe) provided that you have the internal TNC in
Packet mode
before starting APRSISCE/32 or enabling the port.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and
Win32

On 10/16/2016 3:18 AM, leond@... [aprsisce] wrote:

> I have a different issue when trying to enable the KISS or
Kenwood
> port types.  they don't show
>
> Only the kiss simple choice appears
>
> I have a TH-D72a  I canget the GPS reading through the NMEA
port

> Leon

Greg D

Hi Lynn,

I am seriously considering the D74 to replace my aging and somewhat
bulky D7. What about the D74 makes it not work with APRSIS? I'd love
to be able to use it with the MO version on my Android phone via Bluetooth.

Thanks,

Greg KO6TH

'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@arrl.net [aprsisce] wrote:

The KISS (not Simpl;y) port type will do any of the Kenwood APRS
radios (except the D74, I believe)

Christopher Rose

What is not bulky about the 74? Its bigger than the D7?

'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] wrote:
> The KISS (not Simpl;y) port type will do any of the Kenwood APRS
> radios (except the D74, I believe)

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Set the appropriate menus to output what you want. Set the TNC to KISS. Pair the radio to Windows. Set up a Bluetooth Simply(KISS) port in APRSISCE/32. Done. It works. No <Open/CloseCmds> necessary and I think the port even comes back up in KISS mode if the radio power cycles (need to test that).

I need to work on D74-specific port types, but haven't actually gotten the expected responses from the internal TNC to date. I did use a Kwd710(APRS) port type as well and get both APRS packets and the Internal GPS to come out via the Bluetooth port (again, set the appropriate menu options first). However, the transmit hack in APRS mode doesn't work yet, so I just disabled Transmit on that port while testing.

On 10/16/2016 1:50 PM, Greg D ko6th.greg@gmail.com [aprsisce] wrote:
Hi Lynn,

I am seriously considering the D74 to replace my aging and somewhat
bulky D7. What about the D74 makes it not work with APRSIS? I'd love
to be able to use it with the MO version on my Android phone via Bluetooth.

Thanks,

Greg KO6TH

'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@arrl.net [aprsisce] wrote:
The KISS (not Simpl;y) port type will do any of the Kenwood APRS
radios (except the D74, I believe)

------------------------------------
Posted by: Greg D <ko6th.greg@gmail.com>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

N5TEV@...

I've been pulling my hair out, but I *finally* got APRSISCE on a Win Mobile device working with my D74 over Bluetooth (using a TM-D710(APRS)-type RF Port). The following should also apply to APRSIS32.

In addition to these:
Menu 981, PC Output (GPS): Bluetooth
Menu 982, PC Output (APRS): Bluetooth
Menu 983, PC Output KISS: Bluetooth

You must turn these on:
Menu 405, GPS PC Output: ON
Menu 580, APRS PC Output: ON

It was those last two settings that are easy to overlook. Tomorrow I'll try KISS. Must sleep now.  :)

Jeff
N5TEV

Fred Hillhouse

I connect to a D72 with a Winbook (8.1) TW700 tablet. The port type was available.

Where did you put the EXE? Don’t put it in the protect Windows area. I put mine off the root in its own directory and everything works as planned.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

I am not able to get any port type except KISS(Simply) so I updated to the development build with the same result.  I have this running on a laptop.  The problem is a tablet.  Both are running windows 10.

I have copied the .xml file from the laptop to the tablet and it still doesn't work and is not recognized when I open the port to configure.  It seems that something in the tablet prevents most of the port types.  Do you know of any possible solutions?  It may be that its not going to work.

The NMEA GPS port works with the radio to update the GPS function.

Thanks for any help.

Leon

---- On Sun, 16 Oct 2016, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh ' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] (aprsisce@...) wrote:

What version are you running?  You may have to update to
the Development
version using the instructions on the Wiki page blow. The KISS
(not
Simpl;y) port type will do any of the Kenwood APRS radios
(except the
D74, I believe) provided that you have the internal TNC in
Packet mode
before starting APRSISCE/32 or enabling the port.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and
Win32

On 10/16/2016 3:18 AM, leond@... [aprsisce] wrote:
> I have a different issue when trying to enable the KISS or
Kenwood
> port types.  they don't show
> Only the kiss simple choice appears
> I have a TH-D72a  I canget the GPS reading through the NMEA
port
> Leon

Leon Decker

Fred,
Thank you for the info.  I tried putting in a new directory off the root and still only get the KISS(Simply) choice.
I am also using the TW700 tablet which I upgraded to Win10.

Leon

(aprsisce@...) wrote:

What version are you running?  You may have to update to
the Development
version using the instructions on the Wiki page blow. The KISS
(not
Simpl;y) port type will do any of the Kenwood APRS radios
(except the
D74, I believe) provided that you have the internal TNC in
Packet mode
before starting APRSISCE/32 or enabling the port.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and
Win32

On 10/16/2016 3:18 AM, leond@... [aprsisce] wrote:

> I have a different issue when trying to enable the KISS or
Kenwood
> port types.  they don't show
>
> Only the kiss simple choice appears
>
> I have a TH-D72a  I canget the GPS reading through the NMEA
port

> Leon

---
software.

Leon Decker

Well good news. Overnight I updated my tablet to the anniversary release of windows 10 and I now have the additional configuration types available.
Leon

I am not able to get any port type except KISS(Simply) so I updated to the development build with the same result.  I have this running on a laptop.  The problem is a tablet.  Both are running windows 10.
I have copied the .xml file from the laptop to the tablet and it still doesn't work and is not recognized when I open the port to configure.  It seems that something in the tablet prevents most of the port types.  Do you know of any possible solutions?  It may be that its not going to work.
The NMEA GPS port works with the radio to update the GPS function.
Thanks for any help.
Leon

---- On Sun, 16 Oct 2016, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh ' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] (aprsisce@...) wrote:
What version are you running?  You may have to update to
the Development
version using the instructions on the Wiki page blow. The KISS
(not
Simpl;y) port type will do any of the Kenwood APRS radios
(except the
D74, I believe) provided that you have the internal TNC in
Packet mode
before starting APRSISCE/32 or enabling the port.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and
Win32

On 10/16/2016 3:18 AM, leond@... [aprsisce] wrote:

> I have a different issue when trying to enable the KISS or
Kenwood
> port types.  they don't show
>
> Only the kiss simple choice appears
>
> I have a TH-D72a  I canget the GPS reading through the NMEA
port

> Leon

Leon Decker

Now the bad news is when I had a chance to go back to set my.new port the options are no.longer there.
I tried older versions of APRSIS and still can't get the.list back.
I am now back to the current development version. I can use NMEA to get GPS from the radio but nothing else is working.
Lynn, do you have any ideas why the list of port types might not show? or a test program I can install?
Thanks,Leon

Well good news. Overnight I updated my tablet to the anniversary release of windows 10 and I now have the additional configuration types available.
Leon

I am not able to get any port type except KISS(Simply) so I updated to the development build with the same result.  I have this running on a laptop.  The problem is a tablet.  Both are running windows 10.
I have copied the .xml file from the laptop to the tablet and it still doesn't work and is not recognized when I open the port to configure.  It seems that something in the tablet prevents most of the port types.  Do you know of any possible solutions?  It may be that its not going to work.
The NMEA GPS port works with the radio to update the GPS function.
Thanks for any help.
Leon

---- On Sun, 16 Oct 2016, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh ' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] (aprsisce@...) wrote:
What version are you running?  You may have to update to
the Development
version using the instructions on the Wiki page blow. The KISS
(not
Simpl;y) port type will do any of the Kenwood APRS radios
(except the
D74, I believe) provided that you have the internal TNC in
Packet mode
before starting APRSISCE/32 or enabling the port.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and
Win32

On 10/16/2016 3:18 AM, leond@... [aprsisce] wrote:

> I have a different issue when trying to enable the KISS or
Kenwood
> port types.  they don't show
>
> Only the kiss simple choice appears
>
> I have a TH-D72a  I canget the GPS reading through the NMEA
port

> Leon

Rob Giuliano

I have never tried this, but you could manually edit the XML to provide the settings:

<!--RFPort[0]-->

Simply(KISS)
   KWD710(APRS)
   KWD710(Pkt)
   other?
COM4:9600,N,8,1
   @BT:D72a
   other?
  ... rest of the port settings ...

Protocol and Device are the main items setup, plus of course the OpenCMD/CloseCMD commands.  You can then verify all other settings.  The "@BT:D72a" is an example as I don't know the Bluetooth ID of the radio (if it has that).

Once it is there, it should always be there - in the XML that is.  You shouldn't need to change it.  If the device is available, and the settings are correct it should connect.

Well good news. Overnight I updated my tablet to the anniversary release of windows 10 and I now have the additional configuration types available.
Leon

I am not able to get any port type except KISS(Simply) so I updated to the development build with the same result.  I have this running on a laptop.  The problem is a tablet.  Both are running windows 10.
I have copied the .xml file from the laptop to the tablet and it still doesn't work and is not recognized when I open the port to configure.  It seems that something in the tablet prevents most of the port types.  Do you know of any possible solutions?  It may be that its not going to work.
The NMEA GPS port works with the radio to update the GPS function.
Thanks for any help.
Leon

---- On Sun, 16 Oct 2016, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh ' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] (aprsisce@...) wrote:
What version are you running?  You may have to update to
the Development
version using the instructions on the Wiki page blow. The KISS
(not
Simpl;y) port type will do any of the Kenwood APRS radios
(except the
D74, I believe) provided that you have the internal TNC in
Packet mode
before starting APRSISCE/32 or enabling the port.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and
Win32

On 10/16/2016 3:18 AM, leond@... [aprsisce] wrote:

> I have a different issue when trying to enable the KISS or
Kenwood
> port types.  they don't show
>
> Only the kiss simple choice appears
>
> I have a TH-D72a  I canget the GPS reading through the NMEA
port

> Leon

Leon Decker

Rob,
I tried editing the xml file to add like your example but did not get any more options.
I tried copying the xml file from my laptop where this worked and did not see any more drop down port options either.
Does the program rewrite the file each time it's closed?
Thanks for your suggestion.
Leon

I have never tried this, but you could manually edit the XML to provide the settings:

<!--RFPort[0]-->
<RFPort Name="D72a">
<Protocol>Simply(KISS)</Protocol>
   <Protocol>KWD710(APRS)</Protocol>
   <Protocol>KWD710(Pkt)</Protocol>
   other?
<Device>COM4:9600,N,8,1</Device>
   <Device>@BT:D72a</Device>
   other?
  ... rest of the port settings ...
</RFPort>
<!--RFPort[0]-->

Protocol and Device are the main items setup, plus of course the OpenCMD/CloseCMD commands.  You can then verify all other settings.  The "@BT:D72a" is an example as I don't know the Bluetooth ID of the radio (if it has that).

Once it is there, it should always be there - in the XML that is.  You shouldn't need to change it.  If the device is available, and the settings are correct it should connect.

Well good news. Overnight I updated my tablet to the anniversary release of windows 10 and I now have the additional configuration types available.
Leon

I am not able to get any port type except KISS(Simply) so I updated to the development build with the same result.  I have this running on a laptop.  The problem is a tablet.  Both are running windows 10.
I have copied the .xml file from the laptop to the tablet and it still doesn't work and is not recognized when I open the port to configure.  It seems that something in the tablet prevents most of the port types.  Do you know of any possible solutions?  It may be that its not going to work.
The NMEA GPS port works with the radio to update the GPS function.
Thanks for any help.
Leon

---- On Sun, 16 Oct 2016, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh ' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] (aprsisce@...) wrote:
What version are you running?  You may have to update to
the Development
version using the instructions on the Wiki page blow. The KISS
(not
Simpl;y) port type will do any of the Kenwood APRS radios
(except the
D74, I believe) provided that you have the internal TNC in
Packet mode
before starting APRSISCE/32 or enabling the port.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and
Win32

On 10/16/2016 3:18 AM, leond@... [aprsisce] wrote:

> I have a different issue when trying to enable the KISS or
Kenwood
> port types.  they don't show
>
> Only the kiss simple choice appears
>
> I have a TH-D72a  I canget the GPS reading through the NMEA
port

> Leon

Rob Giuliano

That won't give you more options, just provide a means around needing them to show up.  If the settings are there, the App should use them - provided the hardware is there.

ABSOLUTELY - the program writes the entire xml when it closes.  YOU MUST close the app before editing the XML, or you lose the edit.