Beaconing the ISS

kc2nyu <eckerpw@...>

Got interested in ISS the past few days and decided to see if I could "Beacon" the ISS or have my signal received and digipeated. I am using a roof top dual band vertical at about 35ft, an FT 7800 dual band radio, Argent T2 and APRSIS Dev ver last updated 10/6/2012. A few minutes before the start of ISS pass at my QTH, tuned radio to the ISS packet freq and 145.825. Then got about 8 min of packet bursts and received a number of stations from the ISS Digi which were Igated at my station. Scanning the messages log, it appears my msg was ACk, but not sure.

My question is - can I and if so, what steps do I take within APRSIS to beacon or send my call, position etc to the ISS??

Tnx and 73 Paul kc2nyu

sbd sbd

You could start by following this WIKI entry it probably answers most of your questions, I will edit out the FAST references as those sats no longer function that I am aware of

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:satelliteops

Steve Daniels

G6UIM

Got interested in ISS the past few days and decided to see if I could "Beacon" the ISS or have my signal received and digipeated. I am using a roof top dual band vertical at about 35ft, an FT 7800 dual band radio, Argent T2 and APRSIS Dev ver last updated 10/6/2012. A few minutes before the start of ISS pass at my QTH, tuned radio to the ISS packet freq and 145.825. Then got about 8 min of packet bursts and received a number of stations from the ISS Digi which were Igated at my station. Scanning the messages log, it appears my msg was ACk, but not sure.

My question is - can I and if so, what steps do I take within APRSIS to beacon or send my call, position etc to the ISS??

Tnx and 73 Paul kc2nyu

Greg D

Hi Lynn,

This was a good reminder...  I occasionally flip my radio to the ISS frequency, but without changing all the bazillion options to properly operate through Satellites.  I believe you have a profile switch of sorts on your to-do list, right?  Before I invest time and space (no pun intended) in cloning my APRSIS/32 instance (per the instructions on the Wiki), how close to the top of your queue is the enhancement for a Terrestrial / Space (or whatever profiles) configuration option?

Thanks,

Greg  KO6TH

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Steve Daniels <steve@...> wrote:

[...]

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Profile switching is not near the top of my list.

If you want substantially different behaviors out of APRSISCE/32 (to work the ISS, for instance), then make a new directory, copy the .EXE (or set up a shortcut), and configure the new instance. It's not that hard, especially in comparison to the complexity (and confusion) that I foresee in the profile switching (like what settings are shared and which are changed).

On 10/30/2012 12:41 AM, Greg Dolkas wrote:
[...]

Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...>

That's what I did for my D710 for packet mode vs APRS mode, they share the same map directories and NWS files, but the .exe and .xml files are separate.

Adam
KC2ANT

Got interested in ISS the past few days and decided to see if I could "Beacon" the ISS or have my signal received and digipeated. I am using a roof top dual band vertical at about 35ft, an FT 7800 dual band radio, Argent T2 and APRSIS Dev ver last updated 10/6/2012. A few minutes before the start of ISS pass at my QTH, tuned radio to the ISS packet freq and 145.825. Then got about 8 min of packet bursts and received a number of stations from the ISS Digi which were Igated at my station. Scanning the messages log, it appears my msg was ACk, but not sure.

My question is - can I and if so, what steps do I take within APRSIS to beacon or send my call, position etc to the ISS??

Tnx and 73 Paul kc2nyu

kc2nyu <eckerpw@...>

Lynn and all that responded - thanks- will give the below advice and ago and see how I do.

73 Paul kc2nyu

<mailto:steve@...>> wrote:

You could start by following this WIKI entry it probably answers
most of your questions, I will edit out the FAST references as
those sats no longer function that I am aware of

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:satelliteops

Steve Daniels

G6UIM

TorbayFreecycle Moderator

Got interested in ISS the past few days and decided to see if I
could "Beacon" the ISS or have my signal received and digipeated.
I am using a roof top dual band vertical at about 35ft, an FT 7800
dual band radio, Argent T2 and APRSIS Dev ver last updated
10/6/2012. A few minutes before the start of ISS pass at my QTH,
tuned radio to the ISS packet freq and 145.825. Then got about 8
min of packet bursts and received a number of stations from the
ISS Digi which were Igated at my station. Scanning the messages
log, it appears my msg was ACk, but not sure.

My question is - can I and if so, what steps do I take within
APRSIS to beacon or send my call, position etc to the ISS??

Tnx and 73 Paul kc2nyu

sbd sbd

I don’t think it says on the wiki page, but if you clone the software to make a satellite instance, make sure you remove any digipeater settings in the xml file if you have entered any

Steve Daniels

G6UIM

--- In aprsisce@..., "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" wrote:

> Profile switching is not near the top of my list.
>
> If you want substantially different behaviors out of APRSISCE/32 (to
> work the ISS, for instance), then make a new directory, copy the .EXE
> (or set up a shortcut), and configure the new instance. It's not that
> hard, especially in comparison to the complexity (and confusion) that I
> foresee in the profile switching (like what settings are shared and
> which are changed).

> On 10/30/2012 12:41 AM, Greg Dolkas wrote:
> >

> > Hi Lynn,
> >
> > This was a good reminder... I occasionally flip my radio to the ISS
> > frequency, but without changing all the bazillion options to properly
> > operate through Satellites. I believe you have a profile switch of
> > sorts on your to-do list, right? Before I invest time and space (no
> > pun intended) in cloning my APRSIS/32 instance (per the instructions
> > on the Wiki), how close to the top of your queue is the enhancement
> > for a Terrestrial / Space (or whatever profiles) configuration option?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Greg KO6TH
> >

> > On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Steve Daniels
> >
> > You could start by following this WIKI entry it probably answers
> > most of your questions, I will edit out the FAST references as
> > those sats no longer function that I am aware of
> >
> > http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:satelliteops
> >
> > Steve Daniels
> >
> > G6UIM
> >
> > TorbayFreecycle Moderator
> > http://http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/torbay_freecycle
> >
> > APRSISCE/32 Beta tester and WIKI editor http://aprsisce.wikidot.com

w7boz

Same here. I run a different Aprsisce for ISS and other Satellitte coms. I actually prefer to do it this way.

Kevin
W7BOZ

--- In aprsisce@..., Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:

[...]

IIRC you use the satellite dish icon as well, got that all up and running?

Adam
KC2ANT

--- In aprsisce@..., Adam Mahnke wrote:

> That's what I did for my D710 for packet mode vs APRS mode, they share the same map directories and NWS files, but the .exe and .xml files are separate.
>
> Adam
> KC2ANT

sbd sbd

The dish is primary 96 symbol and preferred SSID is -6 for satellite work, but that optional really

Steve Daniels

G6UIM

IIRC you use the satellite dish icon as well, got that all up and running?

Adam
KC2ANT

Same here. I run a different Aprsisce for ISS and other Satellitte coms. I actually prefer to do it this way.

Kevin
W7BOZ

--- In aprsisce@..., Adam Mahnke wrote:

> That's what I did for my D710 for packet mode vs APRS mode, they share the same map directories and NWS files, but the .exe and .xml files are separate.
>
> Adam
> KC2ANT

Chris Morrison

Can I take this opportunity to remind about the feature request to ignore RS0ISS* in the path when calculating the best DX.

When you have an instance of APRSIS32 solely for satellite work then all the received packets will be via the satellite. So the DX status are empty because no stations are heard direct.

As I run an RX iGate for the ISS the status beacon can be seen on APRS-IS. I would like the status beacon to show the best DX via the ISS for the current or previous pass.

To do this the program would need to consider a path of 1 hop with either RS0ISS* , W3AD0-1 , ARISS or FAST1 as direct.

Chris, MM1PTT