TH-D72A Sending Wrong Position ??

kc2nyu <eckerpw@...>

I have my HT TH-D72A hooked to my laptop (Win 64) running APRSIS32 2012/04/06. The GPS on the HT says my position is 31 56.94N 81 02.03W

In APRSIS the position for the HT, KC2NYU-7 is being reported as 31 47.00N
81 26.30W.

I can't figure what is causing the difference. Any ideas?

Thanks & 73
Paul
KC2NYU

George D. Nincehelser

I looked on aprs.fi and it shows your correct position per your HT.

Yet you're seeing it wrong locally on APRSIS?

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM, kc2nyu <eckerpw@...> wrote:

I have my HT TH-D72A hooked to my laptop (Win 64) running APRSIS32 2012/04/06. The GPS on the HT says my position is 31 56.94N 81 02.03W

In APRSIS the position for the HT, KC2NYU-7 is being reported as 31 47.00N
81 26.30W.

I can't figure what is causing the difference. Any ideas?

Thanks & 73
Paul
KC2NYU

Fred Hillhouse

Describe your ports, radio settings, SSIDs and anything else that might make it less cryptic for the rest of us.

Best regards,
Fred, N7FMH

I looked on aprs.fi and it shows your correct position per your HT.

Yet you're seeing it wrong locally on APRSIS?

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM, kc2nyu <eckerpw@...> wrote:

I have my HT TH-D72A hooked to my laptop (Win 64) running APRSIS32 2012/04/06. The GPS on the HT says my position is 31 56.94N 81 02.03W

In APRSIS the position for the HT, KC2NYU-7 is being reported as 31 47.00N
81 26.30W.

I can't figure what is causing the difference. Any ideas?

Thanks & 73
Paul
KC2NYU

kc2nyu <eckerpw@...>

Radio is connected via usb port to com 3. I am running AGW Packet engine on the laptop. SSID for HT is KC2NYU-7, not sure which radio settings to list.

But what's interesting is as George noticed, kc2nyu-7 is reported correctly in APRS FI. And when I look at APRSIS32 that I am running on main PC (KC2NYU-1), the position for the HT is also correct. So it has something to do with the laptop.

Paul

_____

I looked on aprs.fi and it shows your correct position per your HT.

Yet you're seeing it wrong locally on APRSIS?

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM, kc2nyu <eckerpw@...> wrote:

I have my HT TH-D72A hooked to my laptop (Win 64) running APRSIS32
2012/04/06. The GPS on the HT says my position is 31 56.94N 81 02.03W

In APRSIS the position for the HT, KC2NYU-7 is being reported as 31 47.00N
81 26.30W.

I can't figure what is causing the difference. Any ideas?

Thanks & 73
Paul
KC2NYU

Fred Hillhouse

I looked at your -7 on my instance of APRSIS32. And, APRS.FI has it correct according to George.

When you originally said "APRSIS",what did you mean?

> In APRSIS the position for the HT, KC2NYU-7 is being reported as 31 47.00N
> 81 26.30W.

Best regards,
Fred, N7FMH

--- In aprsisce@..., "Fred Hillhouse" wrote:

> Describe your ports, radio settings, SSIDs and anything else that might make
> it less cryptic for the rest of us.
>
> Best regards,
> Fred, N7FMH
>

> _____

kc2nyu <eckerpw@...>

Fred- sorry for confusion, I meant in the APRSIS32 program I am running on the laptop, that the TH-D72A is plugged into. It still is showing wrong position on the laptop APRSIS32.

Paul

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com> , "Fred

From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
I looked on aprs.fi and it shows your correct position per your HT.

Yet you're seeing it wrong locally on APRSIS?

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM, kc2nyu <eckerpw@> wrote:

I have my HT TH-D72A hooked to my laptop (Win 64) running APRSIS32
2012/04/06. The GPS on the HT says my position is 31 56.94N 81 02.03W

In APRSIS the position for the HT, KC2NYU-7 is being reported as 31 47.00N
81 26.30W.

I can't figure what is causing the difference. Any ideas?

Thanks & 73
Paul
KC2NYU

Fred Hillhouse

What mode is the D72 in? How old is the data you see for your HT?

The curious in me is asking why are you suing AGWPE? Can't you connect the HT directly to APRSIS32? If the HT is in PACKET mode, can you use KISS in APRSIS32 and have it work?

I haven't seen a packet from your HT in awhile. Is it still running?

Best regards,
Fred, N7FMH

Fred- sorry for confusion, I meant in the APRSIS32 program I am running on the laptop, that the TH-D72A is plugged into. It still is showing wrong position on the laptop APRSIS32.

Paul

--- In aprsisce@..., "Fred Hillhouse" wrote:

> I looked at your -7 on my instance of APRSIS32. And, APRS.FI has it correct
> according to George.
>
> When you originally said "APRSIS",what did you mean?
>
> > In APRSIS the position for the HT, KC2NYU-7 is being reported as 31 47.00N
> > 81 26.30W.
>
> Best regards,
> Fred, N7FMH
>

> _____

kc2nyu <eckerpw@...>

-Radio is in APRS12 mode.
-I am using AGW PE because I thought I needed it. Am running the same duo on the main pc. Never tried APRSIS32 without the PE. How do I set up KISS mode?
-HT is still running. although I just noticed its time is off by an hour.

73 Paul KC2NYU

From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
<mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
[mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
I looked on aprs.fi and it shows your correct position per your HT.

Yet you're seeing it wrong locally on APRSIS?

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM, kc2nyu <eckerpw@> wrote:

I have my HT TH-D72A hooked to my laptop (Win 64) running APRSIS32
2012/04/06. The GPS on the HT says my position is 31 56.94N 81 02.03W

In APRSIS the position for the HT, KC2NYU-7 is being reported as 31
47.00N
81 26.30W.

I can't figure what is causing the difference. Any ideas?

Thanks & 73
Paul
KC2NYU

kc2nyu <eckerpw@...>

Just turned off AGW PE and restarted APRSIS32 and radio is communicating fine with HT it seems, but still wrong position seen in laptop app.

Paul

From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
<mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
[mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
I looked on aprs.fi and it shows your correct position per your HT.

Yet you're seeing it wrong locally on APRSIS?

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM, kc2nyu <eckerpw@> wrote:

I have my HT TH-D72A hooked to my laptop (Win 64) running APRSIS32
2012/04/06. The GPS on the HT says my position is 31 56.94N 81 02.03W

In APRSIS the position for the HT, KC2NYU-7 is being reported as 31
47.00N
81 26.30W.

I can't figure what is causing the difference. Any ideas?

Thanks & 73
Paul
KC2NYU

Fred Hillhouse

Unfortunately I don't have a D72, so other users will need to pipe up here. Here is a link to port configuration on the WIKI.

I recommend reading this as well:

It will be similar. It explains more than I know.

Certainly use a different SSID for the radio and APRSIS32. Not only is this HIGHLY recommended, it can help debugging.

Best regards,
Fred, N7FMH

-I am using AGW PE because I thought I needed it. Am running the same duo on the main pc. Never tried APRSIS32 without the PE. How do I set up KISS mode?
-HT is still running. although I just noticed its time is off by an hour.

73 Paul KC2NYU

--- In aprsisce@..., "Fred Hillhouse" wrote:

> What mode is the D72 in? How old is the data you see for your HT?
>
> The curious in me is asking why are you suing AGWPE? Can't you connect the
> HT directly to APRSIS32? If the HT is in PACKET mode, can you use KISS in
> APRSIS32 and have it work?
>
> I haven't seen a packet from your HT in awhile. Is it still running?
>
> Best regards,
> Fred, N7FMH
>

> _____

Lynn Deffenbaugh

My APRSISCE/32 show KC2NYU-7 at 31 56.93N 81 02.03W as of 2 minutes ago.  You sure your APRSISC32 instance received a recent update for the -7 station?

On 5/10/2012 2:14 PM, kc2nyu wrote:
I have my HT TH-D72A hooked to my laptop (Win 64) running APRSIS32 2012/04/06. The GPS on the HT says my position is 31 56.94N   81 02.03W

In APRSIS the position for the HT, KC2NYU-7 is being reported as 31 47.00N
 81 26.30W.

I can't figure what is causing the difference. Any ideas?

Thanks &  73
Paul
KC2NYU

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    aprsisce-digest@...
    aprsisce-fullfeatured@...

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

kc2nyu <eckerpw@...>

Fred- I believe you solved my problem with the reading assignments. I failed to realize that APRSIS32 running on the laptop was going to report its position, along with the TH-D72A reporting its position. So the "wrong" position being seen on the laptop, was solved by giving the laptop its own SSID (KC2NYU-8) and then doing a transmit centered on ME. It moved the laptop icon to right position on the laptop screen.
-- the TH-D72A is transmitting it's position but not the laptops position, which I think is ok.
-- my goal is to use the laptop in the car hooked to the HT and have APRSIS32 running on the laptop.

73 Paul

Unfortunately I don't have a D72, so other users will need to pipe up here.
Here is a link to port configuration on the WIKI.
http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration

I recommend reading this as well:
http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port:kenwood-tm-d710

From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>

From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
<mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
<mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
[mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
<mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
I looked on aprs.fi and it shows your correct position per your HT.

Yet you're seeing it wrong locally on APRSIS?

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM, kc2nyu <eckerpw@> wrote:

I have my HT TH-D72A hooked to my laptop (Win 64) running APRSIS32
2012/04/06. The GPS on the HT says my position is 31 56.94N 81 02.03W

In APRSIS the position for the HT, KC2NYU-7 is being reported as 31
47.00N
81 26.30W.

I can't figure what is causing the difference. Any ideas?

Thanks & 73
Paul
KC2NYU

Fred Hillhouse

Excellent!

A GPS into the laptop directly can keep APRSIS32 centered on your location. Messages will be a bit easier with -8 as well.
Try this for messages: Check Toolbar => Configure => Messages => My messages.
Any messages to your HT will be picked up on your laptop.

Best regards,
Fred, N7FMH

Fred- I believe you solved my problem with the reading assignments. I failed to realize that APRSIS32 running on the laptop was going to report its position, along with the TH-D72A reporting its position. So the "wrong" position being seen on the laptop, was solved by giving the laptop its own SSID (KC2NYU-8) and then doing a transmit centered on ME. It moved the laptop icon to right position on the laptop screen.
-- the TH-D72A is transmitting it's position but not the laptops position, which I think is ok.
-- my goal is to use the laptop in the car hooked to the HT and have APRSIS32 running on the laptop.

73 Paul

--- In aprsisce@..., "Fred Hillhouse" wrote:

> Unfortunately I don't have a D72, so other users will need to pipe up here.
> Here is a link to port configuration on the WIKI.
> http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration
>
> I recommend reading this as well:
> http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port:kenwood-tm-d710
>
> It will be similar. It explains more than I know.
>
> Certainly use a different SSID for the radio and APRSIS32. Not only is this
> HIGHLY recommended, it can help debugging.
>
> Best regards,
> Fred, N7FMH
>

> _____

Lynn Deffenbaugh

On 5/10/2012 4:18 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

kc2nyu <eckerpw@...>

Well - that didn't seem to work. Not receiving or sending msgs on the HT or the laptop. When I tried the below sequence in APRSIS32 - got a msg saying - call sign changed. Can't see how to change it back.

Paul

From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>

From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>

From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>

On 5/10/2012 4:36 PM, kc2nyu wrote:
Well - that didn't seem to work. Not receiving or sending msgs on the HT or the laptop. When I tried the below sequence in APRSIS32 - got a msg saying - call sign changed. Can't see how to change it back.
Configure / Messages / My Messages is just a check-box option. It doesn't change anything.

If your message was "CallSign Changed, Chat DISABLED!", in the Chat window, you need to clear and close that chat window or restart APRSISCE/32 to fully effect your Configure / General / MyCall-SSID change that you did at some point since the last restart.

As for the HT not doing messages, I'll leave that to a D72 owner.

Paul

From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com<mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>

From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com<mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>

From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com<mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

Randy Love

If you are using the D72 in KISS mode, *all* of its APRS functionality will be disabled. You will have to rely on APRSIS32 for all APRS functions. Placing a radio/tnc into KISS mode turns it into a simple modem interface.

Randy
WF5X

On May 10, 2012 4:41 PM, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@...> wrote:

On 5/10/2012 4:36 PM, kc2nyu wrote:
> Well - that didn't seem to work. Not receiving or sending msgs on the HT or the laptop. When I tried the below sequence in APRSIS32 - got a msg saying - call sign changed. Can't see how to change it back.

Configure / Messages / My Messages is just a check-box option. It
doesn't change anything.

If your message was "CallSign Changed, Chat DISABLED!", in the Chat
window, you need to clear and close that chat window or restart
APRSISCE/32 to fully effect your Configure / General / MyCall-SSID
change that you did at some point since the last restart.

As for the HT not doing messages, I'll leave that to a D72 owner.

> Paul
>
> --- In aprsisce@..., "Fred Hillhouse" wrote:
>> Excellent!
>>
>> A GPS into the laptop directly can keep APRSIS32 centered on your location.
>> Messages will be a bit easier with -8 as well.
>> Try this for messages: Check Toolbar => Configure => Messages => My
>> messages.
>> Any messages to your HT will be picked up on your laptop.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Fred, N7FMH
>>

>> _____

kc2nyu <eckerpw@...>

Randy - do you have a TH-D72A and use with APRSIS32 ??

If so would like to share configurations.

73 Paul kc2nyu

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

If you are using the D72 in KISS mode, *all* of its APRS functionality will
be disabled. You will have to rely on APRSIS32 for all APRS functions.
Placing a radio/tnc into KISS mode turns it into a simple modem interface.

Randy
WF5X

**

From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com<mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>

From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com<mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>

From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com<mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>

From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com<mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

Paul,

I have a D72, and I use APRSIS32 with my D170, but haven't hooked it up to the D72.
I might get a change to play with it later today or tomorrow. If I do, and I get a good configuration running, I will send you information on what I did to get it going.

Randy
WF5X