Connecting the smartphone

MARINO MELONI

Hi all,
I read in the past that some experimentation have been made in connecting APRSISCE running on Windows Mobile to a tracker or TNC using the Bluetooth.
I have found nothing related to connecting it directly to a Radio using the microphone and heard connections.
I run successfully APRSISCE on my laptop using the AGW driver to connect directly the audio port to the RTX.
I'm wondering if connecting the smartphone with the power of APRSISCE directly to a small handled RTX using a third party driver or implementing this functionality, would allow us to have a very flexible and low cost device.
Imagine using it as a digipeater remotely controlled via GSM in case of hang, or a quick and easy to build tracker when you move from home.
I do not know if this functionality has already been suggested and if there may be some road block in implementing it, but I think this would be a nice feature.
(alternative could be to send out the sound via Bluetooth to a receiver modified to receive it and make an interface to the mic/hear connectors of the RTX).

Thanks
Iw2ejh op/Marino

Fred Hillhouse

"I read in the past that some experimentation have been made in connecting
APRSISCE running on Windows Mobile to a tracker or TNC using the Bluetooth."

This does work. I use it everyday with my HTC Tilt and a Roving Networks
RN-240M Bluetooth to RS232 adapter.
My configuration looks like this: Radio <=wires=> TNC (OT2) <=wires=>
RN-240M <=bluetooth=> HTC Tilt (sans SIM).

"I have found nothing related to connecting it directly to a Radio using the
microphone and heard connections."

Hmm, I think there are many messages in the archive.

"I run successfully APRSISCE on my laptop using the AGW driver to connect
directly the audio port to the RTX. I'm wondering if connecting the
smartphone with the power of APRSISCE directly to a small handled RTX using
a third party driver or implementing this functionality, would allow us to
have a very flexible and low cost device."

The OT2-USB and TT4 are two units that are low power and low cost. With the
Bluetooth adapter you could have

"Imagine using it as a digipeater remotely controlled via GSM in case of
hang,"

The Tracker2/3 can be configured over RF now. Interesting idea to use GSM.

"or a quick and easy to build tracker when you move from home."

I have substituted the my above radio/TNC combination with a T2-301 from
Argent Data Systems with equal success. The Byonics MT-AIO (?) will work
too!

"I do not know if this functionality has already been suggested and if there
may be some road block in implementing it, but I think this would be a nice
feature."

Answered above.

"(alternative could be to send out the sound via Bluetooth to a receiver
modified to receive it and make an interface to the mic/hear connectors of
the RTX)."

Interesting idea.

"Thanks, Iw2ejh op/Marino"

Best regards,
Fred, N7FMH

MARINO MELONI

Thanks Fred for the replay, and for the suggestions.

I was really looking for a portable solution.

Using the smartphone with APRSISCE connected to a TNC and then to a radio, is a lot of stuff and lot of cables.

using just a smartphone able to modulate AFSK signal directly sent to the mic of a HT is what I would say "the best" for a hicker or a runner.
Other solutions are nice is you are at home or in a car, but my experience carrying when going by foot multiple devices is not very good, several power sources, and lots of cables.

Obviously there are already build solutions, but they are expensive.

in the Ham spirit, I prefer to reduce costs to the minimum, using devices I already own.

So I will wait to see if the AFSK modulation strait out of the APRSISCE is something that could be added in the future, or if some kind of driver like the AGWPE could be used in the windows mobile smartphone

IW2EJH
Marino

[...]

Greg D

I think the minimum number of boxes and wires is a smartphone with APRSISCE and its internal GPS, then Bluetooth to an HT that has an internal TNC (example, TH-D7). I don't know of any AX.25 sound-card TNCs for smart phones yet, though surely they are coming. You'd need a small serial to Bluetooth adapter for the HT, and either tap into the battery pack or add a small power source for the converter. I don't think any of the APRS HTs have Bluetooth connections for the computer port. I do have a serial cable for my smartphone, but it's thick and stiff and not very portable. I think it was intended for sync'ing to an older PC.

The next problem will be battery drain. The above combination is only good for a few hours of continuous use. Bringing along extra batteries (ask Lynn what he does!) or a solar charger will be needed for serious hiking away from civilization (but within range of a high level Digi). Beyond that, you're looking at bouncing off a satellite, or going HF, and then you've pretty much forgotten about the minimum boxes and cables thing.

Good luck,

Greg KO6TH

Sent from my trusty iPAQ.