Quickest way to prefetch the entire USA?

n9pbj <dave@...>

Ok, so I'm wondering if there is any quicker way to prefetch the entire US at all zoom levels for use on my laptop and country-wide road trips.

I see that Openstreetmaps provides for a "The Planet" file which includes all the data, and some places provide just the US, such as cloudmade.com...

I'm googling around on how to make the data in these files accessible to aprsis, but wondering if anyone has already done something similar?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

NO NO NO!  Please do NOT attempt to prefetch large areas that you will never view!  There are reasons for the limits imposed by APRSISCE/32 on the prefetch.

Please read: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_usage_policy#Bulk_Downloading

OSM is two things in one: a database which contains map data ("The Planet") and a tile server from which pre-rendered tiles can be loaded.  APRSISCE/32 accesses the latter, and as they put it:

OpenStreetMap data is free for everyone to use. Our tile servers are not.

Abuse of the tile servers can result in having APRSISCE/32 blocked from their tile servers which means NO ONE gets the maps!

PS.  If you really want to see it all, consider setting up your own tile server as described at:

http://weait.com/content/build-your-own-openstreetmap-server

which states the following Hardware Requirements:

    Bare minimum hardware requirements
  • RAM: 1 GB
  • Disk: 250 GB
    Recommended minimum hardware requirements
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • Disk: 1 TB
    potential production hardware requirements
  • RAM: 64 GB
  • Disk: Many TB of 15,000 RPM RAID

And if you've got the spare capacity to do that, please publish the resulting tile server access information so that we can all reduce our load on OSM's tile server (only partially kidding here).

On 1/11/2012 5:33 PM, n9pbj wrote:
Ok, so I'm wondering if there is any quicker way to prefetch the entire US at all zoom levels for use on my laptop and country-wide road trips.

I see that Openstreetmaps provides for a "The Planet" file which includes all the data, and some places provide just the US, such as cloudmade.com...

I'm googling around on how to make the data in these files accessible to aprsis, but wondering if anyone has already done something similar?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Please see also the table at the bottom of http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/map-prefetch

Do you really, really want to download 22,906,492,245 individual files (ok, so that's the whole world, but you get the idea).

On 1/11/2012 5:33 PM, n9pbj wrote:
Ok, so I'm wondering if there is any quicker way to prefetch the entire US at all zoom levels for use on my laptop and country-wide road trips.

I see that Openstreetmaps provides for a "The Planet" file which includes all the data, and some places provide just the US, such as cloudmade.com...

I'm googling around on how to make the data in these files accessible to aprsis, but wondering if anyone has already done something similar?

See message 13277 and the thread.

Maybe we need to condense that discussion into a Wiki Page to keep my blood pressure down when it inevitably comes up again.

On 1/11/2012 5:33 PM, n9pbj wrote:
Ok, so I'm wondering if there is any quicker way to prefetch the entire US at all zoom levels for use on my laptop and country-wide road trips.

I see that Openstreetmaps provides for a "The Planet" file which includes all the data, and some places provide just the US, such as cloudmade.com...

I'm googling around on how to make the data in these files accessible to aprsis, but wondering if anyone has already done something similar?

Fred Hillhouse

That's a lotta tiles!

The friendliest way is to build a system to render your own tiles from "The Planet" data. I think there are several looking at it but I have not read about any progress. I am looking but not too actively since I will need to build a Linux system from the looks of it. I have not found a Windows path for rendering yet. If you discover one, let me know.

A unfriendly method is to find a tile downloader and just go for it. It is likely that your access will be terminated. But it will be only you.

A mega-unfriendly way is to use APRSIS32 to download and potentially get everyone using the application banned.

Maybe for a large donation to the cause, someone that does rendering would create a DVD of tiles. I have thought along this route but the next paragraph explains why I found the DVD pointless. A donation to the cause is not pointless however.

I have done some traveling recently and found that tiles much beyond my trip route is pointless, e.g, I found no reason to get tiles for all of Maryland when I was only going to travel down I-81 and back. Of course, the route was predetermined.

I limit the zoom level as well to 10-15. 15 gives up street names and 10 is far enough out to give a decent view of the immediate would around me.

A constant internet connection is really nice since it will only get tiles you actually need. But, of course, this takes money. The cost of a system to render your own and the the cost of a constant internet connection maybe the same but I bet not. I suspect the phone with data is cheaper. That would be an interest study.

Best regards,
Fred, N7FMH

Ok, so I'm wondering if there is any quicker way to prefetch the entire US at all zoom levels for use on my laptop and country-wide road trips.

I see that Openstreetmaps provides for a "The Planet" file which includes all the data, and some places provide just the US, such as cloudmade.com...

I'm googling around on how to make the data in these files accessible to aprsis, but wondering if anyone has already done something similar?

n9pbj <dave@...>

Ok first of, whoa, lets step back and take a breath here. I phrased my title and first sentence incorrectly.

I had no intention of pre-fetching the world via aprsis. I was looking more for someone that had already followed the instructions from the page Lynn referenced. The page is a bit old and some of the programs / libraries listed are out of date.

I will be going this route since I already have access to the computing power and the planet file took only about 3 hours to download. I was just wondering if anyone had already done it.

-Dave

_____

Ok, so I'm wondering if there is any quicker way to prefetch the entire US
at all zoom levels for use on my laptop and country-wide road trips.

I see that Openstreetmaps provides for a "The Planet" file which includes
all the data, and some places provide just the US, such as cloudmade.com...

I'm googling around on how to make the data in these files accessible to
aprsis, but wondering if anyone has already done something similar?

Charles Blackburn <ai4ri@...>

just waiting on uncle sam there freddy

charlie