APRSIS32 under Linux

Rob Giuliano

I know there are several people out there who have been running APRSIS32 under Linux WINE.  I am one of them.  I also have a version running in a full Windows XP environment under VirtualBox.

I learned a lesson this weekend about updating the Virtualbox environment with a working system:
    IN SHORT: Shortcuts created to start the Windows XP enviroment may not start properly after an updated Virtualbox.  delete these direct shortcuts and start the main virtualbox environment.  After that is working, you can recreate your 'more direct' shortcuts.
Should there be a reference in the WIKI on APRSIS under Linux?
There is a reference for the serial port under Hardware, but nothing else.
One could argue that those with that aspiration should rely on the WINE documentation and the APRSIS32 portion doesn't change from the normal Windows installation.

sbd sbd

The Wiki editors always welcome any contributions, if you have the time to write something up it would be welcome, if you want to write something on running APRSIS under  linux etc

Actually write up anything  for the wiki and we will get it in there.

Sadly we have very few people prepared to do it, just those that complain

Steve Daniels

G6UIM

Torbay Freecycle Moderator

I know there are several people out there who have been running APRSIS32 under Linux WINE.  I am one of them.  I also have a version running in a full Windows XP environment under VirtualBox.

I learned a lesson this weekend about updating the Virtualbox environment with a working system:

    IN SHORT: Shortcuts created to start the Windows XP enviroment may not start properly after an updated Virtualbox.  delete these direct shortcuts and start the main virtualbox environment.  After that is working, you can recreate your 'more direct' shortcuts.

Should there be a reference in the WIKI on APRSIS under Linux?

There is a reference for the serial port under Hardware, but nothing else.

One could argue that those with that aspiration should rely on the WINE documentation and the APRSIS32 portion doesn't change from the normal Windows installation.

Sander Pool

Speaking of which, I sent you wiki content but got no reply. Did you receive it? I can resend if it got lost somewhere.

    Sander KB1WCY

On 10/17/2011 6:39 PM, Steve Daniels wrote:

Actually write up anything  for the wiki and we will get it in there.

w7boz

Steve,

I don't recall anyone complaining about the WIKI??? I DO remember people making comments or suggestions. IF you want help with the WIKI, just like anything else in life, ASK. I would love to help, but don't know what needs done, or were to start.

Kevin
W7BOZ

_____

I know there are several people out there who have been running APRSIS32
under Linux WINE. I am one of them. I also have a version running in a
full Windows XP environment under VirtualBox.

I learned a lesson this weekend about updating the Virtualbox environment
with a working system:

IN SHORT: Shortcuts created to start the Windows XP enviroment may not
start properly after an updated Virtualbox. delete these direct shortcuts
and start the main virtualbox environment. After that is working, you can
recreate your 'more direct' shortcuts.

Should there be a reference in the WIKI on APRSIS under Linux?

There is a reference for the serial port under Hardware, but nothing else.

One could argue that those with that aspiration should rely on the WINE
documentation and the APRSIS32 portion doesn't change from the normal
Windows installation.

No complaints on the WIKI, more of a request for feedback on whether it is worth adding.
As stated in the original e-mail:
   "Should there be a reference in the WIKI on APRSIS32 under Linux?"

APRSIS32 is written for Windows and WinMoble.  To put a lot of emphasis on getting it running under Linux may send a different method.  Many developers prefer to point to the WINE project as a means of working under Linux.  Contributors there provide feedback on what does and doesn't work in that environment.

On the other hand, APRSIS32 in a Virtual Windows enviroment - well as far as APRSIS32 is concern, it is running on Windows.  Again, It is up to the user to configure VirtualBox (or their virtual enviroment of choice) to provide APRSIS32 with the resources it needs.

So, that kind of leaves these options (combinations of):
   1. Mention that users have run in Linux under WINE - ask in group with questions
   2. Mention that users have run under Virtualbox (and others if users post it works)
       under Linux - ask in group with questions
   3. Point to WINE project on the current wiki page where it mentions port setup
   4.  More detail description of setup in Lunix under WINE.

I do think the Virtualbox (or other) environment shouldn't be more than a mention, as that would require a pretty indepth description specific to the virtual environment used with little to do with APRSISce/32.

I know there are several people out there who have been running APRSIS32 under Linux WINE.  I am one of them.  I also have a version running in a full Windows XP environment under VirtualBox.

I learned a lesson this weekend about updating the Virtualbox environment with a working system:

    IN SHORT: Shortcuts created to start the Windows XP enviroment may not start properly after an updated Virtualbox.  delete these direct shortcuts and start the main virtualbox environment.  After that is working, you can recreate your 'more direct' shortcuts.

Should there be a reference in the WIKI on APRSIS under Linux?

There is a reference for the serial port under Hardware, but nothing else.

One could argue that those with that aspiration should rely on the WINE documentation and the APRSIS32 portion doesn't change from the normal Windows installation.

James Ewen

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 6:18 AM, w7boz <w7boz@...> wrote:

I don't recall anyone complaining about the WIKI???
How about the thread labelled "The WIKI is flawed"? With the statement
that 'the wiki is missing help information' to paraphrase?

I DO remember people making comments or suggestions.
This is true... comments and suggestions that more information be available.

IF you want help with the WIKI, just like anything else in life, ASK.
The Wiki editors always welcome any contributions, if you have the time to
write something up it would be welcome
I would read that statement from Steve as a request for help.

I would love to help, but don't know what needs done, or were to start.
You've made a number suggestions, and have some good ideas. Put some
to paper (virtually), and post them in the discussion portion of the
associated page.

Get after writing up the NWS help file section. You might not be aware
of it, but the NWS is a National Weather Service that ONLY covers the
USA. Those of us outside of the USA do not get any NWS alerts in our
areas. Yes, we can install the NWS shapefiles and then start
monitoring an area of the USA to watch for weather events, but why
can't someone that makes use of the NWS on a regular basis and is
familiar with the service write up the help file for the page?

Have you asked Lynn for access to the Wiki?

We're working on adding information to the Wiki as we have time and
knowledge. It can take a fair amount of time to gain the knowledge
necessary to write up a decent page describing some functions.

Both Steve and I have no reason to install NWS shapefiles and try to
get a feed running as the information is not relevant to either of us.
There are a lot of other features that are of interest to us. As such,
until we get really bored and start poking at NWS, the page will
remain blank. If anyone else can fill in the blanks, then we humbly
ask that you do so.

That goes for any page that is missing information.

So, if anyone requires a formal request:

Anyone with information to provide to enhance the help information in
the WIKI is requested to PLEASE post the additional help information
to the associated WIKI page discussion forum, or if the page is
missing completely, post the information to this forum with a pointer
showing where the information should be inserted into the WIKI.

It's nice to say that you're willing to help. You get that a lot with
volunteer organizations, but it's a different story when you actually
try to get those same volunteers to do the work.

I was pestering Lynn in a similar manner, and then finally sent him a
wiki page update in an email. Next thing I knew, I had access to the
wiki for editing.

So, just to sum it up, we are asking for help. The help you can
provide is to add more information where you see a need.

--
James
VE6SRV

sbd sbd

I don’t recall seeing it, would you bee kind enough to send it again

Steve Daniels

G6UIM

Torbay Freecycle Moderator

Speaking of which, I sent you wiki content but got no reply. Did you receive it? I can resend if it got lost somewhere.

    Sander KB1WCY

On 10/17/2011 6:39 PM, Steve Daniels wrote:

Actually write up anything  for the wiki and we will get it in there.

sbd sbd

I am interested in information on getting APRSIS32 running on any platform, if someone can write up how to get it working with Linux Or Mac then great

[...]

I have not asked Lynn for access to the WIKI. I did not want to ask, since it seemed it was a "closed" group of people.
I will try to get a write up for the NWS stuff. I was not sure if it was just for us in the USA. Although weather reports are available in Australia, and possible Shapefiles. So I could only do something for the USA. The NWS stuff is VERY high on my list. I really pushed for this feature last year. We get Winter Storm Warnings here and like to get those out via APRS to Truck Drivers and Travelers. Plus anything with a graphical display rocks! :)
I will see what I can get done in the next week. If I get side tracked I may need a reminder to get it done. Keep me on my toes.

Kevin
W7BOZ

--- In aprsisce@..., James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

[...]

That would be great Kevin thanks.

As for it being a closed group of people, the WIKI only allows a limited number of people access, unless the WIKI gets paid for

We do credit those that have contributed Sander W1SOP for the wiki download and Mike AA9VI for the frequency format to auto tune radios for example

--- In aprsisce@..., James Ewen wrote:

> [...]
>
> So, if anyone requires a formal request:
>
> Anyone with information to provide to enhance the help information in
> the WIKI is requested to PLEASE post the additional help information
> to the associated WIKI page discussion forum, or if the page is
> missing completely, post the information to this forum with a pointer
> showing where the information should be inserted into the WIKI.
>
> It's nice to say that you're willing to help. You get that a lot with
> volunteer organizations, but it's a different story when you actually
> try to get those same volunteers to do the work.
>
> I was pestering Lynn in a similar manner, and then finally sent him a
> wiki page update in an email. Next thing I knew, I had access to the
> wiki for editing.
>
> So, just to sum it up, we are asking for help. The help you can
> provide is to add more information where you see a need.

John KC4LZN

--- In aprsisce@..., "Steve Daniels" <steve@...> wrote:

I am interested in information on getting APRSIS32 running on any platform,
if someone can write up how to get it working with Linux Or Mac then great

Steve Daniels

G6UIM

Torbay Freecycle Moderator
Steve, were you able to get it to run under WINE?

I was able to run it fine in Virtual Box but have not been successful in running under WINE. Better explained, I can run and perform if I connect to just the internet (through the server) but if I try to connect to NMEA (Configure/Ports/NMEA), the second window that is supposed to come up after asking you about TCP/IP, never comes up (the configuration windows for the NMEA port).

I invoked ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.cxoffice/aprsis32/dosdevices/com1 but it doesn't seem to matter. I have used this link in terminal before with other programs with no problem.

Am I missing something or is there someone else in the group that has successfully set up a GPS on APRSIS32 under WINE?

(and yes, the /dev/ttyUSB0 is a USB to serial adapter)

73 John

Rob Giuliano

I have a good start on the writeup I said I'd do, that I was going to send to Steve - hopefully tonight.  A few personnal thigs keep jumping in the way.  Tonight I have to buy a new oven for the kitchen since Thanksgiving is at our house and our oven is giving me fits.

I got a WIKIDOT account now, but maybe I'll just post it.
Originally, I was going to create both Virtual Environment and WINE versions in one document, but that doesn't make sense.  I'll follow up with the Vertual Environment writeup after (that should actually be easier).

> I am interested in information on getting APRSIS32 running on any platform,
> if someone can write up how to get it working with Linux Or Mac then great
>

> Steve Daniels
>
> G6UIM
>
> Torbay Freecycle Moderator

Steve, were you able to get it to run under WINE?

I was able to run it fine in Virtual Box but have not been successful in running under WINE. Better explained, I can run and perform if I connect to just the internet (through the server) but if I try to connect to NMEA (Configure/Ports/NMEA), the second window that is supposed to come up after asking you about TCP/IP, never comes up (the configuration windows for the NMEA port).

I invoked ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.cxoffice/aprsis32/dosdevices/com1 but it doesn't seem to matter. I have used this link in terminal before with other programs with no problem.

Am I missing something or is there someone else in the group that has successfully set up a GPS on APRSIS32 under WINE?

(and yes, the /dev/ttyUSB0 is a USB to serial adapter)

73 John

Rob Giuliano

The attached is in RTF to have some formatting, but still be portable.  I am pretty sure you'll be able to find something that will read it.

This is the writeup running under WINE.  I'm sure that this will generate plenty of feedback.

> I am interested in information on getting APRSIS32 running on any platform,
> if someone can write up how to get it working with Linux Or Mac then great
>

> Steve Daniels
>
> G6UIM
>
> Torbay Freecycle Moderator

Steve, were you able to get it to run under WINE?

I was able to run it fine in Virtual Box but have not been successful in running under WINE. Better explained, I can run and perform if I connect to just the internet (through the server) but if I try to connect to NMEA (Configure/Ports/NMEA), the second window that is supposed to come up after asking you about TCP/IP, never comes up (the configuration windows for the NMEA port).

I invoked ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.cxoffice/aprsis32/dosdevices/com1 but it doesn't seem to matter. I have used this link in terminal before with other programs with no problem.

Am I missing something or is there someone else in the group that has successfully set up a GPS on APRSIS32 under WINE?

(and yes, the /dev/ttyUSB0 is a USB to serial adapter)

73 John

Greg D

There is one more thing you need to do to activate the serial ports when using Wine - you need to edit the "registry" to explicitly enumerate the ports, otherwise APRSIS32 can't see them.

Add these two lines to the file "system.reg":
   (credit also goes to Wine-Wiki, http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Wine_Registry)

[HARDWARE\\DEVICEMAP\\ SERIALCOMM] 1131331688
"COM1"="COM1"

That should make COM1 show up.  What's happening is that Lynn asks "Windows" what ports are out there, and populates the menu choices from what it says.  If "Windows" doesn't think there are any ports, Lynn doesn't show anything.  I'd call it a bug in Wine that it doesn't detect the links to the /dev/tty* files.

Good luck,

Greg  KO6TH

kc4lzn wrote:

--- In aprsisce@..., "Steve Daniels" wrote:

> I am interested in information on getting APRSIS32 running on any platform,
> if someone can write up how to get it working with Linux Or Mac then great
>

> Steve Daniels
>
> G6UIM
>
> Torbay Freecycle Moderator

Steve, were you able to get it to run under WINE?

I was able to run it fine in Virtual Box but have not been successful in running under WINE. Better explained, I can run and perform if I connect to just the internet (through the server) but if I try to connect to NMEA (Configure/Ports/NMEA), the second window that is supposed to come up after asking you about TCP/IP, never comes up (the configuration windows for the NMEA port).

I invoked ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.cxoffice/aprsis32/dosdevices/com1 but it doesn't seem to matter. I have used this link in terminal before with other programs with no problem.

Am I missing something or is there someone else in the group that has successfully set up a GPS on APRSIS32 under WINE?

(and yes, the /dev/ttyUSB0 is a USB to serial adapter)

73 John

.

Rob Giuliano

That was in there with the info on where the system.reg file is.

kc4lzn wrote:

--- In aprsisce@..., "Steve Daniels" wrote:

> I am interested in information on getting APRSIS32 running on any platform,
> if someone can write up how to get it working with Linux Or Mac then great
>

> Steve Daniels
>
> G6UIM
>
> Torbay Freecycle Moderator

Steve, were you able to get it to run under WINE?

I was able to run it fine in Virtual Box but have not been successful in running under WINE. Better explained, I can run and perform if I connect to just the internet (through the server) but if I try to connect to NMEA (Configure/Ports/NMEA), the second window that is supposed to come up after asking you about TCP/IP, never comes up (the configuration windows for the NMEA port).

I invoked ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.cxoffice/aprsis32/dosdevices/com1 but it doesn't seem to matter. I have used this link in terminal before with other programs with no problem.

Am I missing something or is there someone else in the group that has successfully set up a GPS on APRSIS32 under WINE?

(and yes, the /dev/ttyUSB0 is a USB to serial adapter)

73 John

.

Greg D

Yup, saw that just after I sent my reply...  :-)

Greg  KO6TH

Kai Gunter Brandt <kai.brandt@...>

On 11/01/2011 07:36 PM, kc4lzn wrote:

I was able to run it fine in Virtual Box but have not been successful in running under WINE. Better explained, I can run and perform if I connect to just the internet (through the server) but if I try to connect to NMEA (Configure/Ports/NMEA), the second window that is supposed to come up after asking you about TCP/IP, never comes up (the configuration windows for the NMEA port).

I invoked ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.cxoffice/aprsis32/dosdevices/com1 but it doesn't seem to matter. I have used this link in terminal before with other programs with no problem.
You probably have to add the user to the "dialout" group. If not the user needs to be root in some linux distributions.

Kai Gunter
LA3QMA

John KC4LZN

On Tue, 2011-11-01 at 20:24 -0700, Greg D wrote:
There is one more thing you need to do to activate the serial ports when using Wine - you need to edit the "registry" to explicitly enumerate the ports, otherwise APRSIS32 can't see them.

Add these two lines to the file "system.reg":
   (credit also goes to Wine-Wiki, http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Wine_Registry)

[HARDWARE\\DEVICEMAP\\ SERIALCOMM] 1131331688
"COM1"="COM1"

That should make COM1 show up.  What's happening is that Lynn asks "Windows" what ports are out there, and populates the menu choices from what it says.  If "Windows" doesn't think there are any ports, Lynn doesn't show anything.  I'd call it a bug in Wine that it doesn't detect the links to the /dev/tty* files.

Good luck,

Greg  KO6TH

I won't be able to confirm my actions until I get home later, where my GPS is with the cable but this is what I've done so far.

I accessed the link you provided and tinkered with the entries on the reg file. In my tinkering, I found that the number string you provided at the end of the brackets appears to be "serialized" with each reg file. I looked at other bottles and their respective reg files and all of them had a different number at the end of the brackets.

I invoked into my reg file the following command:

[HARDWARE\\DEVICEMAP\\SERIALCOMM]
"COM1"="COM1"
"COM2"="COM2"

Within the bottle of my APRSIS32 program, I simulated a re-boot and ran the program. I accessed Configure/Ports/NMEA and answered the TCP/IP No, and the second window did come up for me to set the parameters for the GPS.

Now, I will have to wait until I get home to further test but I have every belief that it will work.

I will follow-up with my findings.

I'm surprised that WINE doesn't incorporate this into the registry for all, unless it causes conflicts with others?

Is this something that can be incorporated into the wiki to help others in their setting up?

73
John

John KC4LZN

...In my tinkering, I found that the number string you provided
at the end of the brackets appears to be "serialized" with each reg
file. I looked at other bottles and their respective reg files and all
of them had a different number at the end of the brackets...

I confirmed this at http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Wine_Registry. The numbers at the end of the bracket are indeed a key timestamp, specific to each entry and is automatically generated when the file is saved and/or when the bottle is booted. Initially, when I used the number from what was provided, the second window never would come up. It wasn't until after leaving that blank, it provided its own number and the second window for configuration came up.

73 John

Greg D

Or set the onership of the com port link to yourself. I don't recall what mine is set to (not at the computer now), but I've seen that help with other programs under Wine.

Sent from my trusty iPAQ.