Help with setup for Open Tracker 2

toddsemko

Setting up with open tracker 2. Cant get it to work, cant find in message search. travailing in the stats would like to get it to work.

Please post or reply to todd@... for setup info, thanks all.

Sorry if someone asked already, just could find the info

Scott Gillis N3UJJ

Setting up with open tracker 2. Cant get it to work, cant find in message search. travailing in the stats would like to get it to work.

Please post or reply to todd@... for setup info, thanks all.

Sorry if someone asked already, just could find the info

Scott Gillis N3UJJ

toddsemko

Im looking for Opentracker -2- not opentracker usb, and that other one was about a NUVI no help at all.

--- In aprsisce@..., "N3UJJ (Scott Gillis)" <n3ujj@...> wrote:

Or even better try this:

Scott Gillis N3UJJ <http://www.n3ujj.com>
My HamShack <http://www.n3ujj.com/hamshack.html>
My Current Location <http://location.n3ujj.com>
My Amateur Weather Station <http://weather.n3ujj.com>
My Current SETI/BOINC Standings
<http://boincstats.com/stats/boinc_user_graph.php?pr=bo&id=0543f666397da86b6d21b2c4520667fa>
My,, Current SETI Standings
<http://boincstats.com/stats/boinc_user_graph.php?pr=bo&id=0543f666397da86b6d21b2c4520667fa>
Sign Up for my "Tech News" Mailing List
<http://www.sgillis.com/security.html>
IM & VOIP: Skype: scott.gillis.n3ujj

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Use the OT2 configuration utility to put the OT2 into KISS mode at a known baud rate. Configure a KISS port on APRSISCE/32 at the same (non-TCP/IP) baud rate. Then close the client and edit the XML file to replace all of the default <Open/CloseCmd> elements with the following two no-ops.

<OpenCmd>~!!0</OpenCmd>
<CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>

Restart the client and you should be in business. I run an OT2m in my car with a bluetooth to serial adapter that I pair to my Windows Mobile phone with APRSISCE and it works like a champ. The "other" port on the OT2m is connected to a Nuvi350 for standalone operation when I don't bother enabling the port on my phone.

Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@...>

At 09:00 PM 6/24/2011, toddsemko wrote:
Setting up with open tracker 2. Cant get it to work, cant find in message search.
When I tried Lynn's suggestions and the APRSIS wiki suggestions for the T2, I could not get the program to connect to the T2. I suspect that I did not have the T2 configured correctly to start with. After some experimentation, I came up with the following commands for a T2-135 which is very similar to the OT2.

<OpenCmd>^003^003^003~</OpenCmd>
<OpenCmd>INT 0</OpenCmd>
<OpenCmd>WAY OFF</OpenCmd>
<OpenCmd>AMODE KISS</OpenCmd>
<CloseCmd>^003^003^003~</CloseCmd>

The open commands were derived from reading the Tracker 2 wiki's suggestions for using UI-View with the T2 in KISS mode. Start out using OTWinCfg to set the T2's ports to 9600 baud and automatic protocol detection. The first series of Ctrl-C's gets the T2's attention, then you tell it to not beacon, then you tell it to not send GPS waypoints back to the computer, then you tell the A port to go into KISS mode.

Bob...

kc8sfq

I'm following with interest as I fight the same battle at the same time

Thanks  Ron
++++++++++++++
> At 09:00 PM 6/24/2011, toddsemko wrote:
>>Setting up with open tracker 2. Cant get it to work, cant find in
>>message search.
>
> When I tried Lynn's suggestions and the APRSIS wiki suggestions for
> the T2, I could not get the program to connect to the T2. I suspect
> that I did not have the T2 configured correctly to start with. After
> some experimentation, I came up with the following commands for a
> T2-135 which is very similar to the OT2.
>
> ^003^003^003~
> INT 0
> WAY OFF
> AMODE KISS
> ^003^003^003~
>
> The open commands were derived from reading the Tracker 2 wiki's
> suggestions for using UI-View with the T2 in KISS mode. Start out
> using OTWinCfg to set the T2's ports to 9600 baud and automatic
> protocol detection. The first series of Ctrl-C's gets the T2's
> attention, then you tell it to not beacon, then you tell it to not
> send GPS waypoints back to the computer, then you tell the A port to
> go into KISS mode.
>
> Bob...

kc8sfq

Later update:
OK, I tried that, should I remove the other ~!!0 lines?
Ron
++++++++++++++++

 ++++++++++++++

>> At 09:00 PM
> 6/24/2011, toddsemko wrote:
>>>Setting up with open tracker 2.
> Cant get it to work, cant find in
>>>message search.
>>

>> When I tried Lynn's suggestions and the APRSIS wiki suggestions
> for
>> the T2, I could not get the program to connect to the T2. I
> suspect
>> that I did not have the T2 configured correctly to start
> with. After
>> some experimentation, I came up with the following
> commands for a
>> T2-135 which is very similar to the OT2.
>>
>> ^003^003^003~
>>
> INT 0
>> WAY
> OFF
>> AMODE KISS
>> ^003^003^003~
>>

> The open commands were derived from reading the Tracker 2 wiki's
>>
> suggestions for using UI-View with the T2 in KISS mode. Start out
>> using OTWinCfg to set the T2's ports to 9600 baud and automatic
>> protocol detection. The first series of Ctrl-C's gets the T2's
>> attention, then you tell it to not beacon, then you tell it to
> not
>> send GPS waypoints back to the computer, then you tell the A
> port to
>> go into KISS mode.
>>
>> Bob...

Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@...>

At 10:39 PM 6/26/2011, kc8sfq@... wrote:

OK, I tried that, should I remove the other <OpenCmd>~!!0</OpenCmd> lines?
I think so, he said cautiously.

I replaced all of the open and close commands with the ones that I listed in my previous email. The commands Lynn suggests probably work as long as the T2 is already in KISS mode at the correct baud rate. The commands I suggested assume that the T2 is in AUTO mode at 9600 baud. I didn't experiment with putting the T2 in AUTO mode with auto baud enabled.

Bob...

Fred Hillhouse

I don't have access to my APRSIS32 XML that I use to connect to my OT2 but:
~!!0
~!!0

All other open and close commands have been removed.

The OT2 has PartA configured for KISS, and PortB configured for a GPS (Garmin).

If I need to make a change to an OT2 setting, I use a terminal program [Hyper Terminal Private Edition]. I get it out of KISS, make my changes, then put it back into KISS. I have been doing it this way for quite a while now. It has been a solid performer.

My laptop is not always connected and the OT2 does not care.

Best regards,
Fred, N7FMH

>OK, I tried that, should I remove the other ~!!0 lines?

I think so, he said cautiously.

I replaced all of the open and close commands with the ones that I
listed in my previous email. The commands Lynn suggests probably work
as long as the T2 is already in KISS mode at the correct baud rate.
The commands I suggested assume that the T2 is in AUTO mode at 9600
baud. I didn't experiment with putting the T2 in AUTO mode with auto
baud enabled.

Bob...

gsdatplace

I wish I had run across this thread Sunday morning before our balloon launch. I had been using AGWPe to tie multiple radios (a T2-301 and OT2m) into one stream for APRSISCE but realized it had expired about 30 minutes before launch. I was able to get everything running creating 2 KISS ports then manually sending AMODE KISS commands to the T2's, now I just need to play in the xml and try the settings you've found that work.

Garrett
VE6RKY

--- In aprsisce@..., Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@...> wrote:

At 10:39 PM 6/26/2011, kc8sfq@... wrote:

OK, I tried that, should I remove the other <OpenCmd>~!!0</OpenCmd> lines?
I think so, he said cautiously.

I replaced all of the open and close commands with the ones that I
listed in my previous email. The commands Lynn suggests probably work
as long as the T2 is already in KISS mode at the correct baud rate.
The commands I suggested assume that the T2 is in AUTO mode at 9600
baud. I didn't experiment with putting the T2 in AUTO mode with auto
baud enabled.

Bob...

Lynn Deffenbaugh

That is the same configuration I use with the Bluetooth linked OT2m in my mobile KJ4ERJ-9 installation.  The GPS port is connected full time to a Nuvi350 for standalone operations.  APRSISCE on my phone has a KISS port that connects via paired bluetooth to the KISS-configured port on the OT2m when I want to do mobile IGating and APRS RF work while mobile.

The commands listed below are no-ops (no operation) since the OT2m doesn't need anything particular to "just work" in KISS.  This is by far the easiest way to run any KISS-capable TNC that will stay in KISS mode across power cycles.  It's always there and talking when APRSISCE/32 needs it.  Unfortunately, the Kenwood TNCs don't have a way to stay in KISS mode across power cycles.

On 6/27/2011 11:03 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

I don't have access to my APRSIS32 XML that I use to connect to my OT2 but:
~!!0
~!!0

All other open and close commands have been removed.

The OT2 has PartA configured for KISS, and PortB configured for a GPS (Garmin).

If I need to make a change to an OT2 setting, I use a terminal program [Hyper Terminal Private Edition]. I get it out of KISS, make my changes, then put it back into KISS. I have been doing it this way for quite a while now. It has been a solid performer.

My laptop is not always connected and the OT2 does not care.

Best regards,
Fred, N7FMH

>OK, I tried that, should I remove the other ~!!0 lines?

I think so, he said cautiously.

I replaced all of the open and close commands with the ones that I
listed in my previous email. The commands Lynn suggests probably work
as long as the T2 is already in KISS mode at the correct baud rate.
The commands I suggested assume that the T2 is in AUTO mode at 9600
baud. I didn't experiment with putting the T2 in AUTO mode with auto
baud enabled.

Bob...

Fred Hillhouse

The response reminded me that I have the Tilt APRSISCE XML file for my T2-301 handy. It is listed below. It is practically identical to my APRSIS32 settings for my OT2.

Best regards,

Fred, N7FMH
[T2-301 = OT2 + FC-301]
[Tilt2-301 = Tilt Mobile Platform + T2-301]

Excerpt begins here:

KISS
COM1:9600,N,8,1
1200
~!!0
~!!00
1
1
1</RFtoISEnabled>
1
<MyCallNot3rd>0
1

0

<TelemetryEnabled>1
</TelemetryPath>

>OK, I tried that, should I remove the other ~!!0 lines?

I think so, he said cautiously.

I replaced all of the open and close commands with the ones that I
listed in my previous email. The commands Lynn suggests probably work
as long as the T2 is already in KISS mode at the correct baud rate.
The commands I suggested assume that the T2 is in AUTO mode at 9600
baud. I didn't experiment with putting the T2 in AUTO mode with auto
baud enabled.

Bob...

kc8sfq

> The response reminded me that I have the Tilt APRSISCE XML file for my
> T2-301 handy. It is listed below. It is practically identical to my
> APRSIS32
> settings for my OT2.
++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi guys (and gals)
Well.............. it has to be something REAL simple that I'm missing. I just found out how to get a terminal program on my win7 machine.

The packets are getting into the machine from the OT2, but they are not displaying on the APRSIS32 screen. I've played around with my XML file as noted in several previous posts and thus far, all I see is my own callsign. The IS side works fine, but I currently have that disabled so I can work on the RF-OT2-APRSIS32 link. That's where I really need to be, RF mobile without internet access, except occasionally to fetch maps.

Any help here greatly appreciated, I'm pretty much lost at this point.

Thanks and 73,  Ron

Fred Hillhouse

If you can read you packets then you need to change the PC port on the TNC to KISS.
APRSIS32 understands KISS only.

Best regards,
Fred, N7FMH

Hi guys (and gals)
Well.............. it has to be something REAL simple that I'm missing. I just found out how to get a terminal program on my win7 machine.

The packets are getting into the machine from the OT2, but they are not displaying on the APRSIS32 screen. I've played around with my XML file as noted in several previous posts and thus far, all I see is my own callsign. The IS side works fine, but I currently have that disabled so I can work on the RF-OT2-APRSIS32 link. That's where I really need to be, RF mobile without internet access, except occasionally to fetch maps.

Any help here greatly appreciated, I'm pretty much lost at this point.

Thanks and 73,  Ron

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Open Enables / View Logs / and make sure it is enabled.  Monitor it for a while that you know packets are being decoded on the OT2.  Stuff should be showing up.  E-mail the contents of that log to KJ4ERJ@... and I'll see if I can make sense out of it.