WIKI updating

sbd sbd

I am going to spend some time tonight editing and adding to the WIKI. If anyone wants to point me to something that needs adding or more info please point me to it.

I don’t know enough about NWS, Geocaching or RDF so won’t be touching those

Steve Daniels

G6UIM

apenadragon <kc2ant@...>

I'd point you in the direction of the Menu pages for those folks that are just getting started.

Adam
KC2ANT

--- In aprsisce@..., "Steve Daniels" <steve@...> wrote:

I am going to spend some time tonight editing and adding to the WIKI. If
anyone wants to point me to something that needs adding or more info please
point me to it.

I don't know enough about NWS, Geocaching or RDF so won't be touching those

Steve Daniels

G6UIM

sbd sbd

I have done a fair bit on the menu pages, but will go through and flesh them out a bit

Steve Daniels

G6UIM

--- In aprsisce@..., "Steve Daniels" wrote:

> I am going to spend some time tonight editing and adding to the WIKI. If
> anyone wants to point me to something that needs adding or more info please
> point me to it.
>
> I don't know enough about NWS, Geocaching or RDF so won't be touching those
>

> Steve Daniels
>
> G6UIM

apenadragon <kc2ant@...>

There's so much information on there it's hard to keep track of what needs doing.

good luck,

_____

--- In aprsisce@... <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com> , "Steve
Daniels" <steve@> wrote:

I am going to spend some time tonight editing and adding to the WIKI. If
anyone wants to point me to something that needs adding or more info
please
point me to it.

I don't know enough about NWS, Geocaching or RDF so won't be touching
those

Steve Daniels

G6UIM

sbd sbd

Well that’s the answer then, I will attempt to reorganise a bit and see if I can get recently changes/added bit showing somewhere

Steve Daniels

Torbay Freecycle Moderator

There's so much information on there it's hard to keep track of what needs doing.

good luck,
Adam
KC2ANT

--- In aprsisce@..., "Steve Daniels" wrote:

> I have done a fair bit on the menu pages, but will go through and flesh them
> out a bit
>

> Steve Daniels
>
> G6UIM
>
> _____

Rud Merriam <k5rud@...>

Comments on the wiki: (Anything I question here I did search for on the Wiki but couldn't find a clear answer.)

What is an item? There is a check box on the Object dialog but no explanation in the wiki.

QRU page has a "createobjects" that probably should be "createobject".

- 73 -
Rud Merriam K5RUD
Emergency Coordinator
Montgomery County ARES®
Mystic Lake Software

On 5/19/2011 11:56 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:

I am going to spend some time tonight editing and adding to the WIKI. If anyone wants to point me to something that needs adding or more info please point me to it.

I don’t know enough about NWS, Geocaching or RDF so won’t be touching those

Steve Daniels

G6UIM

vk2asy <vk2asy@...>

If it is possible to add some more info on the Weather Station Object that reads data from the txt file, and how the txt file is generated would be great.. (Because I don't know the answer to that myself..

73 Kim

/Montgomery County ARES® <http://www.wa5eoc.org/> /
* /Mystic Lake Software <http://mysticlakesoftware.com/>
/

On 5/19/2011 11:56 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:

I am going to spend some time tonight editing and adding to the WIKI.
If anyone wants to point me to something that needs adding or more
info please point me to it.

I don't know enough about NWS, Geocaching or RDF so won't be touching
those

Steve Daniels

G6UIM

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Have you read: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/weather-stations

On 5/19/2011 10:41 PM, vk2asy wrote:
If it is possible to add some more info on the Weather Station Object that reads data from the txt file, and how the txt file is generated would be great.. (Because I don't know the answer to that myself..

73 Kim

vk2asy <vk2asy@...>

Oops missed it.. I assumed there was another small application that generated the text file, and have been trying to workout how that is triggered, I take it from what you have said the main Wx Stn app should do that, so just a matter of finding the correct filename.

Kim.

--- In aprsisce@..., "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Have you read: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/weather-stations

On 5/19/2011 10:41 PM, vk2asy wrote:
If it is possible to add some more info on the Weather Station Object that reads data from the txt file, and how the txt file is generated would be great.. (Because I don't know the answer to that myself..

73 Kim

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Correct. Whatever drives your weather station should drop a file periodically that APRSISCE/32 will poll for at the configured interval. As long as the weather file is updated more frequently than the APRSISCE/32 weather object interval, it will be transmitted. If the file is not updated, APRSISCE/32 will not re-transmit the unchanged weather data.

If you tell us what weather application you're using, someone here on the list might be able to help you locate the proper file.

PS. I estimate that there's approximately 11 weather stations active using APRSISCE/32 in the past 24 hours.

Ian Wade G3NRW <g3nrw@...>

From: Rud Merriam <k5rud@...>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 Time: 15:52:13

What is an item? There is a check box on the Object dialog but no
explanation in the wiki.
- 73 -
Rud Merriam K5RUD

Rud,

See page 57 in the APRS Protocol Spec:
http://www.tapr.org/aprs_working_group.html

--
73
Ian, G3NRW

The TS-590S Resources Page:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/ts-590s.htm

g4ilo

An item is defined in the APRS spec. Arguably it is not the purpose of the wiki to describe the whole of APRS as well.

See APRS101 (ftp://ftp.tapr.org/aprssig/aprsspec/spec/aprs101/APRS101.pdf) page 57.

Julian, G4ILO

What is an item? There is a check box on the Object dialog but no
explanation in the wiki.

w7boz

If I get time I could help you with the Wiki NWS stuff. I use it on all my Aprisce/32 machines.
I posted what needs to be corrected in the Wiki for Map Tiles also a few days back. Under a different title though, and can't remember.

Kevin
W7BOZ

--- In aprsisce@..., "Steve Daniels" <steve@...> wrote:

I am going to spend some time tonight editing and adding to the WIKI. If
anyone wants to point me to something that needs adding or more info please
point me to it.

I don't know enough about NWS, Geocaching or RDF so won't be touching those

Steve Daniels

G6UIM

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I have been told, but do not have direct knowledge, that Items are not supported by at least one of the APRS-aware radios. If anyone has concrete facts on this, it might be worth noting on the Object Wiki page for the Item checkbox.

Also, one of the time formats isn't liked by one of the newer APRS radios, but again, I don't remember the details. I know the 111111 (permanent) timestamp on an object (non-item) is apparently the most widely supported format.

From: Rud Merriam <k5rud@...>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 Time: 15:52:13

What is an item? There is a check box on the Object dialog but no
explanation in the wiki.

g4ilo

To be fair, APRS101 probably isn't the ideal document for newbies. It's more aimed at people like Lynn, and others who want to really understand every aspect of APRS. I don't really know of any good user-oriented guides to APRS but if anyone knows of them perhaps there should be a "reference section" in the wiki that could contain links to them.

Indeed, if there were a good APRS wiki then keywords in the APRSISCE wiki could link to the relevant descriptions of terms in that, a bit like wikipedia does. There is one (http://info.aprs.net/index.php/Main_Page) but it doesn't have a description of "item" so in this case (and many others) it wouldn't help.

Julian, G4ILO

From: Rud Merriam <k5rud@>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 Time: 15:52:13