APRSISCE Sounds...

Doug Ferrell <kd4moj-lists@...>

Hey Lynn this is a minor request. Anyway of changing the default "Critical Stop" sound to something else? Every time I hear that "bonk", I think something is happening on one of my PC's (I have several running at the same time).

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I currently use standard Windows-supplied sounds in APRSISCE/32. However, I do have a ToDo item to make all sounds user-configurable and even let you specify your own .WAV files to play for various events. This will probably happen around the time that the user-configurable notifications comes to the top of the priority list.

Do you know what event is causing the "bonk"? In my case, it's usually that the Quiet Time on the APRS-IS connection has expired and APRSISCE/32 is recycling the connection which actually gives me a bonk, a couple of clicks, and then a happy sound. The same thing (minus the clicks) happens if you lose the GPS fix momentarily.

On 5/19/2011 7:53 AM, Doug Ferrell wrote:
Hey Lynn this is a minor request. Anyway of changing the default "Critical Stop" sound to something else? Every time I hear that "bonk", I think something is happening on one of my PC's (I have several running at the same time).

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Doug Ferrell <kd4moj-lists@...>

Lesse... I know that when the prgm starts, and probably the Quiet Time expiration is when I hear it. I haven't heard any other sounds, just the critical stop sound. I'll listen more closely for the "happy sound" you mentioned.

I have the prgm running on my lappy sitting on my desk at work so I'm able to monitor it all day.

Mojo

Lynn Deffenbaugh

You can test these sounds by unchecking Enables / APRS-IS Enabled and then re-checking it.  I'm suspecting it's the re-connect (bonk) that you're hearing as the other is just a ding.  When anything goes wrong on a connection, I invoke MessageBeep(MB_ICONHAND) and when things go back to normal, I use MessageBeep(MB_OK).

However, now that I look at the code, I actually have the condition backwards!  For you "C" programmer's out there, the following is worng, isn't it?

    if (ActiveConfig.Enables.Sound) MessageBeep(newState?MB_ICONHAND:MB_OK);

Wow, all these years (yes years), and I've had it backwards the whole time.  Expect a revision on this one, but maybe not for 2.5 weeks, unfortunately.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE/32 and sometimes dyslexic

PS.  MessageBeep: http://tinyurl.com/5tqd9aa  When I fix it, I might change from MB_ICONHAND on the error to MB_ICONWARNING, thoughts?

On 5/19/2011 8:26 AM, Doug Ferrell wrote:

Lesse... I know that when the prgm starts, and probably the Quiet Time expiration is when I hear it. I haven't heard any other sounds, just the critical stop sound. I'll listen more closely for the "happy sound" you mentioned.

I have the prgm running on my lappy sitting on my desk at work so I'm able to monitor it all day.

Mojo

Rud Merriam <k5rud@...>

Yup! Should have a 'bang' (!) in the front and braces around the MessageBeep statement.

- 73 -
Rud Merriam K5RUD
Emergency Coordinator
Montgomery County ARES®
Mystic Lake Software

On 5/19/2011 7:36 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

[...]

Rob Giuliano

I seem to get the "bonk" every time I start APRSIS on my netbook (MSI with Windows XP).  It always comes up functional, so I never really looked at what might be causing it.

On my other desktop (Linux/Wine), it was an issue with the network device availability, but immediately corrected itself when Linux allowed WINE the device.  I guess I just learned to ignore it from that and never checked on the netbook.
When I get home, I'll check the logs and see if I can find the error on the netbook.

I currently use standard Windows-supplied sounds in APRSISCE/32.
However, I do have a ToDo item to make all sounds user-configurable and
even let you specify your own .WAV files to play for various events.
This will probably happen around the time that the user-configurable
notifications comes to the top of the priority list.

Do you know what event is causing the "bonk"? In my case, it's usually
that the Quiet Time on the APRS-IS connection has expired and
APRSISCE/32 is recycling the connection which actually gives me a bonk,
a couple of clicks, and then a happy sound. The same thing (minus the
clicks) happens if you lose the GPS fix momentarily.

On 5/19/2011 7:53 AM, Doug Ferrell wrote:
> Hey Lynn this is a minor request. Anyway of changing the default "Critical Stop" sound to something else? Every time I hear that "bonk", I think something is happening on one of my PC's (I have several running at the same time).
>
> ...DOUG
> KD4MOJ

kc8sfq

Hear, hear... I'm a big fan of the Majel Barret "WORKING"  when Capt Kerk addresses the computer on the Enterprise.  Is the "BONK" an MP3? Could it be substituted by users?

> Hey Lynn this is a minor request. Anyway of changing the default
> "Critical Stop" sound to something else? Every time I hear that "bonk",

kc8sfq

> Hear, hear... I'm a big fan of the Majel Barret "WORKING"
> when Capt Kerk addresses the computer on the Enterprise.  Is the
> "BONK" an MP3? Could it be substituted by users?

See........... I shoulda read the whole string before replying.

Doug Ferrell <kd4moj-lists@...>

Glad I found you a bug Lynn!

i did manage to hear those 3 'clicks' but that is the only other sound i've heard in addition to the bonk.

Mojo

[...]

w7boz

I hear that sound all the time..... Always makes me wonder whats gone wrong now :) But it is always because I loose the APRS-IS feed for a short time.

Kevin
W7BOZ

--- In aprsisce@..., "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

Which means something went wrong. I've got the tones reversed and the error turned to warning. I actually like the default sounds the other way, but this is more "standard". I'll be putting out a Development release later today with that fix as my "last gasp" for a while.