Anyone using a TNC and have it working?


m1arf <m1arf@...>
 

Hi all,

I have just tried to setup a Kamtonics KPC3 TNC on my laptop.
Set Comm port up in Kiss configuration and enabled it (Kiss that is).
TNC does not appear to be talking to APRSIS32, have run Ui-Veiw with same TNC and Comm port all OK. Have run Hyperterminal with same TNC and Comm port all OK.
I have also tried to run the TNC in Text mode but that does not work either.
Has anybody any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Derek M1ARF.


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

Derek,

Can you Enable Debug Logging and send me a copy of the APRSIS32.LOG and APRSIS32.XML at KJ4ERJ@arrl.net? The sequence is:

1) Turn on Enables / Debug Logging
2) Close the client
3) Restart the client
4) Wait for a bit during which time stations will show up and the KISS thread should connect
5) Close the client
6) Grab a copy of APRSIS32.LOG and *.XML from the default directory and e-mail it to me.

Repeat the same thing with the TNC in TEXT mode (or KISS if the first one was with TEXT) and APRSIS32 configured appropriately.

Hopefully there'll be something in the .LOG file that will help me figure out what's going on. I've got a ToDo item to make debugging these connections easier, but it hasn't been addressed yet.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

m1arf wrote:

Hi all,

I have just tried to setup a Kamtonics KPC3 TNC on my laptop.
Set Comm port up in Kiss configuration and enabled it (Kiss that is).
TNC does not appear to be talking to APRSIS32, have run Ui-Veiw with same TNC and Comm port all OK. Have run Hyperterminal with same TNC and Comm port all OK.
I have also tried to run the TNC in Text mode but that does not work either.
Has anybody any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Derek M1ARF.




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links





kb0npw <kenny@...>
 

Derek, I am having just the opposite problem. I have my Kantronics KPC-3 running just fine with APRSIS32 in text mode, but can't get it to work with UI-View since I upgraded to a new laptop with Win7. I never had any issues with WinXP.

I am thoroughly impressed with APRSIS32, and I hope it develops into something even better. There are only a handful of features missing that I used in UI-View32. I think I may have made a permanent switch.

Kenny

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Derek,

Can you Enable Debug Logging and send me a copy of the APRSIS32.LOG and
APRSIS32.XML at KJ4ERJ@...? The sequence is:

1) Turn on Enables / Debug Logging
2) Close the client
3) Restart the client
4) Wait for a bit during which time stations will show up and the KISS
thread should connect
5) Close the client
6) Grab a copy of APRSIS32.LOG and *.XML from the default directory and
e-mail it to me.

Repeat the same thing with the TNC in TEXT mode (or KISS if the first
one was with TEXT) and APRSIS32 configured appropriately.

Hopefully there'll be something in the .LOG file that will help me
figure out what's going on. I've got a ToDo item to make debugging
these connections easier, but it hasn't been addressed yet.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

m1arf wrote:
Hi all,

I have just tried to setup a Kamtonics KPC3 TNC on my laptop.
Set Comm port up in Kiss configuration and enabled it (Kiss that is).
TNC does not appear to be talking to APRSIS32, have run Ui-Veiw with same TNC and Comm port all OK. Have run Hyperterminal with same TNC and Comm port all OK.
I have also tried to run the TNC in Text mode but that does not work either.
Has anybody any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Derek M1ARF.




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links





Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

kb0npw wrote:
I am thoroughly impressed with APRSIS32, and I hope it develops into something even better. There are only a handful of features missing that I used in UI-View32. I think I may have made a permanent switch.
Can you give me a short list of the features you miss from UI-View32? I'm trying to prioritze development to meet the needs/desires of most UI-View users, and not having used it for more than a month or two myself, I'm really not aware of what was useful and what wasn't.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ


kb0npw <kenny@...>
 

Lynn, I liked having a stations window I could pop up. This allowed me a quick glance showing a total number of stations I was receiving so I could check band conditions. It also allowed me to see distance so I could check the furthest station. I also used the "Direct" window a lot, so I could monitor who I was receiving without benefit of a digi. If I had those capabilities back, I would be thrilled.

I went ahead and deleted UI-View32 since it was throwing fits with Win7. I don't plan on going back. Keep up the good work with this software! It's great!

73 to you, Kenny

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:

kb0npw wrote:
I am thoroughly impressed with APRSIS32, and I hope it develops into something even better. There are only a handful of features missing that I used in UI-View32. I think I may have made a permanent switch.
Can you give me a short list of the features you miss from UI-View32?
I'm trying to prioritze development to meet the needs/desires of most
UI-View users, and not having used it for more than a month or two
myself, I'm really not aware of what was useful and what wasn't.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

You're going to like this one, I suspect!

kb0npw wrote:
Lynn, I liked having a stations window I could pop up. This allowed me a quick glance showing a total number of stations I was receiving so I could check band conditions. It
Double-click the vertical double-skinny bar on the right edge of the screen. This shows the stations in use as well as the stations heard via RF including Direct and Local counts broken out. The extreme right edge bar double-click will give you the current battery and A/C state. One down.

also allowed me to see distance so I could check the furthest station. I also used the
Sorry, it doesn't show the distance in that popup, but...

"Direct" window a lot, so I could monitor who I was receiving without benefit of a digi.
View / RF / All, Direct, or Local (make sure none of the other View options are checked). All shows all stations heard "recently" via RF. Local shows just those that the client considers "Local", and Direct shows those heard with no used path components. And with the scale circle, you can approximate the distance that you've been receiving the displayed stations via RF.

Also, you can send a message to your RF-active client saying "?APRSD" to get back the list of Direct RF stations and "?APRSL" to get back a list of stations considered Local. These lists are the same stations that would be displayed by the View filters.

If I had those capabilities back, I would be thrilled.
Are you thrilled? ;)

I went ahead and deleted UI-View32 since it was throwing fits with Win7. I don't plan on going back. Keep up the good work with this software! It's great!
I do have plans for a station list of some sort, but I'm still trying to figure out how to show that much information on a small screen. I also run a copy of APRSIS32 with a full feed which currently has 15,410 stations in it that have all been active in the past hour. UI-View couldn't even eat a full feed, and APRSIS32 can actually DISPLAY all of these stations if you make the screen large enough and zoom out far enough. The twinkle of the stations being updated is pretty neat to watch (if your eye is quick enough).

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ


73 to you, Kenny


--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:

kb0npw wrote:

I am thoroughly impressed with APRSIS32, and I hope it develops into something even better. There are only a handful of features missing that I used in UI-View32. I think I may have made a permanent switch.
Can you give me a short list of the features you miss from UI-View32? I'm trying to prioritze development to meet the needs/desires of most UI-View users, and not having used it for more than a month or two myself, I'm really not aware of what was useful and what wasn't.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links





kb0npw <kenny@...>
 

Man, this is sweet! I feel like an idiot now. This software does so much more than I thought! Thanks Lynn for the help.

I did realize though, that my TNC is apparently not communicating with the program. When I enable on the RF side, I see nothing at all. I'm running text mode, so maybe I will try KISS to see if that does it. Since I never was able to get UI-View to run on Win7 either, I'm not sure how this will turn out. I hope I can solve this problem, because I want to use APRSIS32 all the time. I guess I will have to hook the TNC up to the old machine to get it into KISS mode, and then try it. This com port issue has been aggravating.

Kenny

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:

You're going to like this one, I suspect!

kb0npw wrote:
Lynn, I liked having a stations window I could pop up. This allowed me a quick glance showing a total number of stations I was receiving so I could check band conditions. It
Double-click the vertical double-skinny bar on the right edge of the
screen. This shows the stations in use as well as the stations heard via
RF including Direct and Local counts broken out. The extreme right edge
bar double-click will give you the current battery and A/C state. One down.

also allowed me to see distance so I could check the furthest station. I also used the
Sorry, it doesn't show the distance in that popup, but...

"Direct" window a lot, so I could monitor who I was receiving without benefit of a digi.
View / RF / All, Direct, or Local (make sure none of the other View
options are checked). All shows all stations heard "recently" via RF.
Local shows just those that the client considers "Local", and Direct
shows those heard with no used path components. And with the scale
circle, you can approximate the distance that you've been receiving the
displayed stations via RF.

Also, you can send a message to your RF-active client saying "?APRSD" to
get back the list of Direct RF stations and "?APRSL" to get back a list
of stations considered Local. These lists are the same stations that
would be displayed by the View filters.

If I had those capabilities back, I would be thrilled.
Are you thrilled? ;)

I went ahead and deleted UI-View32 since it was throwing fits with Win7. I don't plan on going back. Keep up the good work with this software! It's great!
I do have plans for a station list of some sort, but I'm still trying to
figure out how to show that much information on a small screen. I also
run a copy of APRSIS32 with a full feed which currently has 15,410
stations in it that have all been active in the past hour. UI-View
couldn't even eat a full feed, and APRSIS32 can actually DISPLAY all of
these stations if you make the screen large enough and zoom out far
enough. The twinkle of the stations being updated is pretty neat to
watch (if your eye is quick enough).

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ


73 to you, Kenny


--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@> wrote:

kb0npw wrote:

I am thoroughly impressed with APRSIS32, and I hope it develops into something even better. There are only a handful of features missing that I used in UI-View32. I think I may have made a permanent switch.

Can you give me a short list of the features you miss from UI-View32?
I'm trying to prioritze development to meet the needs/desires of most
UI-View users, and not having used it for more than a month or two
myself, I'm really not aware of what was useful and what wasn't.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links





James Ewen
 

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@arrl.net> wrote:

Local shows just those that the client considers "Local", and Direct
shows those heard with no used path components.
What defines local? Within a specific number of hops? Or just anything
heard via RF?

James
VE6SRV


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

"Local" is within 2 used hops, regardless of the n in the WIDEn-N. I considered looking at that, but is a WIDE2* 2 used hops or 1? There's no way to know if it started as WIDE2-2 or WIDE2-1. So I just count the used hops and call 2 the limit. Eventually that'll be configurable by RF port.

"Recent" is heard via some RF port within the last 30 minutes. Again, that'll eventually be configurable.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

James Ewen wrote:

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@arrl.net> wrote:


Local shows just those that the client considers "Local", and Direct
shows those heard with no used path components.
What defines local? Within a specific number of hops? Or just anything
heard via RF?

James
VE6SRV


M1ARF <m1arf@...>
 

See below.


I did realize though, that my TNC is apparently not
communicating with the program. When I enable on the RF
side, I see nothing at all. I'm running text mode, so maybe
I will try KISS to see if that does it. Since I never was
able to get UI-View to run on Win7 either, I'm not sure how
this will turn out. I hope I can solve this problem, because
I want to use APRSIS32 all the time. I guess I will have to
hook the TNC up to the old machine to get it into KISS mode,
and then try it. This com port issue has been aggravating.

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

I had the same problem, put the TNC into KISS mode first then connect with APRSIS32.
Likewise use the setup string from UI-Veiw to put the TNC into host mode then use TEXT mode in APRSIS32.

Good luck,

Derek M1ARF


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

Looks like I need to bump up the priority of supporting the UI-View command files for KISS and TEXT mode Interfaces, huh? It'll dovetail nicely with the effort of generalizing the interfaces in order to support multiple channels through AGW.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

M1ARF wrote:

See below.



I did realize though, that my TNC is apparently not
communicating with the program. When I enable on the RF
side, I see nothing at all. I'm running text mode, so maybe
I will try KISS to see if that does it. Since I never was
able to get UI-View to run on Win7 either, I'm not sure how
this will turn out. I hope I can solve this problem, because
I want to use APRSIS32 all the time. I guess I will have to
hook the TNC up to the old machine to get it into KISS mode,
and then try it. This com port issue has been aggravating.

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

I had the same problem, put the TNC into KISS mode first then connect with APRSIS32.
Likewise use the setup string from UI-Veiw to put the TNC into host mode then use TEXT mode in APRSIS32.

Good luck,

Derek M1ARF