Topics

Minor details.

James Ewen

Lynn,

Thanks for creating what sounds like it might just become the top APRS
client in the future. We've had a progression of APRS applications
over the years, with each one moving the bar higher and higher. Having
an author responsive to the needs and desires of the users is a major
factor in developing a great application.

Now... onto the nitty gritty bits.

Right off the top, have you thought about renaming the program?
Obviously the name reflects the origins of the program, but it looks
to be headed to be much more than that.

I finally had a look at the program just over a week ago... I hadn't
looked before because of the name, assuming it was for Windows Mobile
devices only. I'd suggest not only dropping the CE portion, but also
the APRSIS portion. The APRS-IS name is the Internet Service portion
of the APRS network. This client appears to be moving beyond that, and
encompassing the RF portion as well. Perhaps a new less limiting name
might be in order... a really sexy or cool name for the application
never hurt.

Can you make it so that the large compass face can be a user
selectable display element? I would like to get rid of the big grey
circle and NESW labels on my screen.

I love the fact that you use the OSM map in this application. I've
been helping that project for a couple years now. It is great that
anyone can add detail to the OSM map. Any missing data can easily be
added, and immediately becomes available worldwide! One issue that I
have however is the way that the tiles are saved to the hard drive.

I use a program called RadioMobile that also uses the OSM tiles for
creating a background map. RadioMobile saves the tiles in almost the
exact same way as APRSIS32, but with just a slight naming difference.
APRSIS32 uses a file structure such as OSM12/748/1334.png whereas
RadioMobile saves the exact same tile under the file structure
12/748/1334.png

It would be very desirable to share the tiles across multiple
platforms, rather than have duplicate tiles saved for each
application. I don't know if there's an "official" file naming
structure defined for saving OSM tiles, but if it was possible to
override the naming structure to allow the two programs to match up,
it would be great. All I would need to be able to do, is to have the
OSMXX structure changed to just XX where XX is the zoom level.

James
VE6SRV

Fred Hillhouse

Hi James,

You make valid points. I only really looked at this software after a response to Stephen about the ability to tile save. So it is new to me as well. Nice slick package so far!

Maybe a sexy name contest is in order. ;)

I found the tile collection is an interesting item. While I don’t use anything else that uses the OSM tiles it is a bone of contention for me. I started using ExpertGPS about 10 years ago. And I have thousands of tiles saved of the topo, aerial and urban variety. I messed around with USAPhotomaps as well. I really didn’t want to dedicate another large portion to the same tile set. I looked at TopoFusion as well. That was the end of that; another tile collection. I stuck with E-GPS. I can’t say I went wrong, it is a great package.

Best regards,

Fred

[...]

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Fred Hillhouse Jr wrote:

You make valid points. I only really looked at this software after a response to Stephen about the ability to tile save. So it is new to me as well. Nice slick package so far!
The primary design for APRSISCE is for operation on mobile devices with an active Internet connection. I consider it secondary operation to work without APRS-IS (and hence OSM) access. If the primary function was for offline use, the tile prefetching is actually a pre-population of the cache used to buffer recently accessed tiles.

Maybe a sexy name contest is in order. ;)
Got a suggestion, I'll consider it, although APRSISCE/32 isn't that bad, is it?

I found the tile collection is an interesting item. While I dont use anything else that uses the OSM tiles it is a bone of contention for me. I started using ExpertGPS about 10 years ago. And I have thousands of tiles saved of the topo, aerial and urban variety. I messed around with USAPhotomaps as well. I really didnt want to dedicate another large portion to the same tile set. I looked at TopoFusion as well. That was the end of that; another tile collection. I stuck with E-GPS. I cant say I went wrong, it is a great package.
Can you provide links to the packages you mention. I googled E-GPS, but didn't find any references in the top hits that implied tile caching.

Depending on what tiles they install and/or maintain, you MIGHT be able to share a directory tree between them and APRSISCE.

Best regards,

Fred

[...]

g4ilo

Maybe a sexy name contest is in order. ;)
Got a suggestion, I'll consider it, although APRSISCE/32 isn't that bad,
is it?
How about APRSXE (APRS - Sexy)? :)

Fred Hillhouse

I found the tile collection is an interesting item. While I don't use
anything else that uses the OSM tiles it is a bone of contention for
me. I started using ExpertGPS about 10 years ago. And I have thousands
of tiles saved of the topo, aerial and urban variety. I messed around
with USAPhotomaps as well. I really didn't want to dedicate another
large portion to the same tile set. I looked at TopoFusion as well.
That was the end of that; another tile collection. I stuck with E-GPS.
I can't say I went wrong, it is a great package.
Can you provide links to the packages you mention. I googled E-GPS, but
didn't find any references in the top hits that implied tile caching.

Depending on what tiles they install and/or maintain, you MIGHT be able
to share a directory tree between them and APRSISCE.

Hi Lynn,

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that ExpertGPS uses the OSM tiles.

James had mentioned that RadioMobile does use the OSM tile set and the file
structure is almost the same. At least that is the way I understood his
comments. And I have not researched RadioMobile so I have no comment
regarding it. I think the point is that standardizing the way the tiles are
saved would be handy. In an ideal situation, the filenames would be same as
what is served up and in the same tree structure.

This was James comments for quick referral:
"I use a program called RadioMobile that also uses the OSM tiles for
creating a background map. RadioMobile saves the tiles in almost the
exact same way as APRSIS32, but with just a slight naming difference.
APRSIS32 uses a file structure such as OSM12/748/1334.png whereas
RadioMobile saves the exact same tile under the file structure
12/748/1334.png."

I notice this in the XML:
<OSM.Path>d:&#92;APRSISCE&#92;OSMTiles&#92;</OSM.Path>

Maybe James can edit this line to support RadioMobile and APRSISCE?

----

The program I mentioned, ExpertGPS, can be found here:
http://www.expertgps.com/

I use "E-GPS" for short. I have the GIS/CAD version.

It uses the Teraserver tile set. My point was that in the software world
that is using the USGS tile sets, everyone has a different way to file and
use. Case in point: the USAPhotoMap implementation is totally different when
compared with the E-GPS implementation. It requires twice the download if
the same tileset is used for each package.

My ExpertGPS topographic and aerial tile collection (USGS Tiles/Teraserver)
is a good size.
Type 1 (aerial) 3.79GB on disk in 442,587 Files, 72 Folders.
Type 2 (topo) 5.18GB on disk in 350,089 Files, 65 Folders.
Type 4 (urban) 68.2MB on disk in 11,488 files, 26 folders.

It is a part of the software from: http://www.topografix.com/
There have a nifty free GPS management package called EasyGPS:
http://www.easygps.com/ (no mapping)
For those that Geocache: http://www.geobuddy.com/

BTW, the E-GPS author was the designer of the GPX format or at least very
much involved.
http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp

Dan Foster is another author that has been very responsive to his customers.
That is one reason I stay with TopoGrafix.

For APRS, I will stay with your software even though the mobile market is
your main goal. Everything I see so far is good. First off, you are
responsive. This doesn't mean you add everything people want but that you
are addressing items on a regular basis and provide answers. Second, the
software is expanding. I can only imagine where APRSISCE is heading. And, of
course we all have our desires. ;)

Thanks again!!

Best regards,
Fred

Charles Doughtie

> > Maybe a sexy name contest is in order. ;)
> >

> Got a suggestion, I'll consider it, although APRSISCE/32 isn't that bad,
> is it?

How about APRSXE (APRS - Sexy)? :)

Sounds neat to me - -

de N5exy

Fred Hillhouse

Is your call sign NSEXY?
;)

> > Maybe a sexy name contest is in order. ;)
> >

> Got a suggestion, I'll consider it, although APRSISCE/32 isn't that bad,
> is it?

How about APRSXE (APRS - Sexy)? :)

Sounds neat to me - -

de N5exy

Charles Doughtie

With a 5, not S. My license plates draw some strange comments.

CallsignNameAddress
EKA5EXYPATTAN, THELMA L3911 N RIVER RD, PORT ALLEN, LA 70767
AKB5EXYNATHANSON, DAVID L902 W Glendale Unit 201, PHOENIX, AZ 85021
AKC5EXY DENSON, JOHN GPO Box 946, BELMONT, MS 38827
AKD5EXYHuff, Richard C220 Rainbow Dr PMB 12001, Livingston, TX 773519362
AN5EXY DOUGHTIE, CHARLES TPO Box 24, AUSTIN, TX 78767
CW5EXYKANZ, HANNO E296 N UNION AVE, NEW BRAUNFELS, TX 781304450
AWA5EXYHEDRICK, ALAN CHR 3 BOX 2A, HOOKER, OK 73945
AWB5EXYALEXANDER, ROBERT T706 ROMAINE LN, HOUSTON, TX 77090
AWD5EXYMC MULLIN, WILLIAM J2011 HUNTINGTON, OKLAHOMA CITY, OK 73116
AW5EXYSergeant, Julian D539 S 12th Street, Port Aransas, TX 78373
CKE5EXY Burton, Matthew RPO Box 833, Bixby, OK 74008
AKF5EXYAbdulhussain, Mansur10924 Grant Rd, Houston, TX 77070

New Search

From: g4ilo Subject: [aprsisce] Re: Minor details.
To: aprsisce@yahoogroup s.com
Date: Monday, March 1, 2010, 4:11 AM

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroup s.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" wrote:

> > Maybe a sexy name contest is in order. ;)
> >

> Got a suggestion, I'll consider it, although APRSISCE/32 isn't that bad,
> is it?

How about APRSXE (APRS - Sexy)? :)

Sounds neat to me - -

de N5exy

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Fred Hillhouse wrote:

This was James comments for quick referral:
"I use a program called RadioMobile that also uses the OSM tiles for
creating a background map. RadioMobile saves the tiles in almost the
exact same way as APRSIS32, but with just a slight naming difference.
APRSIS32 uses a file structure such as OSM12/748/1334.png whereas
RadioMobile saves the exact same tile under the file structure
12/748/1334.png."

I notice this in the XML:
<OSM.Path>d:&#92;APRSISCE&#92;OSMTiles&#92;</OSM.Path>

Maybe James can edit this line to support RadioMobile and APRSISCE?
If James sould just put a &#92; at the end of his OSM.Path, he would find that the file structures are identical. However, if you point APRSISCE/32 to the same directory as another program, be aware that tiles will be fetched and purged as if they were owned by APRSISCE/32. This may or may not be desired behavior. The tile naming and directory structure are documented at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Slippy_map_tilenames.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

Fred Hillhouse

Fred Hillhouse wrote:

[...]

Of course the XML can be changed to disable purging. I did that for myself just so the tiles stay.

Best regards,
Fred

Fred Hillhouse

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "g4ilo" <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@> wrote:

Maybe a sexy name contest is in order. ;)
Got a suggestion, I'll consider it, although APRSISCE/32 isn't that bad,
is it?
How about APRSXE (APRS - Sexy)? :)
Works for me!

James Ewen

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@arrl.net> wrote:

I notice this in the XML:
<OSM.Path>d:&#92;APRSISCE&#92;OSMTiles&#92;</OSM.Path>

Maybe James can edit this line to support RadioMobile and APRSISCE?
If James sould just put a &#92; at the end of his OSM.Path, he would find
that the file structures are identical.
That would be cool... I'm just not sure how I get the two to match up...

Here's my path qualifier:

<OSM.Path>C:&#92;Documents and Settings&#92;jame&#92;My Documents&#92;RadioMobile
Data&#92;OSM&#92;OSMTiles&#92;</OSM.Path>

And here's the tile at zoom level 13 that has my house on it.

C:&#92;Documents and Settings&#92;jame&#92;My Documents&#92;RadioMobile Data&#92;OSM13&#92;1518&#92;2648.png

RadioMobile stores the same tile as:

C:&#92;Documents and Settings&#92;jame&#92;My Documents&#92;RadioMobile
Data&#92;OSM&#92;13&#92;1518&#92;2648.png

Note that one pesky slash between the OSM and 13...

It looks like APRSISCE replaces the OSM in it's path qualifier with
OSMxx where xx is the zoom level, and the OSMTiles is replaced by the
X value, and the Y value is the name of the tile...

So where do I put the slash at the end of to get APRSISCE to not use
the OSMxx zoom level folder name format, but just use xx as the zoom
level folder name?

 However, if you point
APRSISCE/32 to the same directory as another program, be aware that
tiles will be fetched and purged as if they were owned by APRSISCE/32.
This may or may not be desired behavior.
Overriding purging is the answer to that issue... however that brings
up another question. Can you force a fetch of tiles in an area? The
OSM map is constantly in flux as new information is added. With
RadioMobile, I kept a large cache of tiles available. However when new
tiles became available in an area, I would have to manually delete the
tiles in that area. Obviously not an easy thing to do manually, so
wholesale deletion was the simple solution. This of course means that
all of the tiles need to be fetched again. When you are talking about
gigabytes of tiles, that can be a very long task. Being able to keep
the majority of tiles, and only fetching ones selected by the user
would be a good thing.

Obviously automatic purging ensures that tiles stay up to date, but
that doesn't help those who want to use the program in an offline mode
with large tile caches.

James
VE6SRV

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Edit the XML file (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/editing-xml-configuration) and remove the OSMTiles&#92; from the end of the list, so that the OSM.Path ednds in ...Data&#92;OSM&#92;

RadioMobile stores the same tile as:

C:&#92;Documents and Settings&#92;jame&#92;My Documents&#92;RadioMobile
Data&#92;OSM&#92;13&#92;1518&#92;2648.png

Note that one pesky slash between the OSM and 13...
Actually, I thought it was RadioMobile that didn't have the slash. See if the above change works.

[...]
I've got items on the ToDo list to "freshen" tiles. OSM's tile servers have a feature where you can ask it for the tile's revision. I'm hoping to use that in conjuction with dates stored on the tile files to detect the changes automatically (or when told to check for offline users) and download only those tiles that indicate changes.

Obviously automatic purging ensures that tiles stay up to date, but
that doesn't help those who want to use the program in an offline mode
with large tile caches.
I'm striving to make it work well in both modes. I finally got my son, KJ4DXK, to start using APRSIS32 and he's totally an off-line user. When he finishes, APRSIS32 will be an optional viewer and messaging platform for his home-brew, in-car APRS system (KJ4DXK-9).

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -

James
VE6SRV

Colin Catlin <m6xsd@...>

Lynn wrote:

>I'm striving to make it work well in both modes. I finally got my son,
>KJ4DXK, to start using APRSIS32 and he's totally an off-line user. When
>he finishes, APRSIS32 will be an optional viewer and messaging platform
>for his home-brew, in-car
APRS system (KJ4DXK-9).

It would be great if your son could keep us informed about his home-brew and how he is using APRSIS32 with itJ

73,

Colin.