From: "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:23:57 -0500
To: <aprsisce@...>; <sp9mzm@...>
Subject: [aprsisce] Unique -SSIDs

It is important on APRS to use a unique -SSID for each "station" that
you operate. If you don't, consider the effect when one station moves
and the other station remains behind. The station appears to ping-pong
between two coordinates with each position update sent.

This is especially true if you are running both APRSISCE on Windows
Mobile and APRSIS32 on Win32. Obviously the former station is mobile
and the latter station is most likely fixed. Whenever you leave the
house, if both clients are running, you will appear to be on a rubber
band between your actual position and the fixed station.

I attempted a QSO with SP9MZM-7 in Poland this morning with limited
success. If someone reads this message and can translate it for
Wlodzimierz Daszkowski, I would appreciate it! Babelfish doesn't do
Polish, and http://www.poltran.com/pl.php4 apparently didn't do very well.

andbart2000

Lynn,
thanks for suggestions, I've sent email to Wlodek SP9MZM with that explanation.
I'm not sure, whether he was connected only to the server or the ping-pong effect came from activity on RF, i.e. delays were created by digis and igates, so some older posits appeared as new ones.
73
Andy SP3LYR, AB9FX

andbart2000 wrote:
thanks for suggestions, I've sent email to Wlodek SP9MZM with that explanation.
I'm not sure, whether he was connected only to the server or the ping-pong effect came from activity on RF, i.e. delays were created by digis and igates, so some older posits appeared as new ones.
Actually, I didn't actually see a ping-pong, but noticed that his single -SSID was sometimes beaconing as APWM00 (Windows Mobile) and other times as APWW00 (Win32).

At least, I THOUGHT I saw that...I just went back through my APRS logs and can't put my fingers (or eyes) on it. Maybe it was some other call? Please send my apologies to him if he's really only running one copy of the client!

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

73
Andy SP3LYR, AB9FX