Configuring a KISS or NMEA Port

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Ok, so the new release is out and your first question is: How do I configure a port and what in the world does TCP/IP have to do with KISS and NMEA?

APRSISCE/32 supports two different ways of connecting to serial devices. The "normal" expected one would be via a "normal" Windows COM port with baud rates, parity, stop bits and such. However, I also support connected to a TCP/IP source of this same data. This allows the client to connect to remotely served TCP/IP serial ports which may or may not be virtualized by Windows. I also happen to have some TCP/IP servers that remotely serve out COM ports from one Windows machine to another. So...

When you click the KISS or NMEA buttons on the new configuration dialog, you will be asked if you want to "Configure As a TCP/IP Port?". Most of you will probably want to click "No". At that point, a Port Configuration dialog will appear with drop-downs of the known COM ports and support baud rates along with radio buttons for Parity and Data/Stop bits. (Ignore the Xmit checkbox). When you have things set up for your GPS or KISS TNC, click OK.

After configuring a COM port, the KISS or NMEA button will take you directly back to the Port Configuration dialog. If you clear the COM port and click OK, the next time you configure that port, the TCP/IP question will be asked.

The AGW interface only support TCP/IP connections to AGWPE. The TCP Configuration dialog prompts for an IP address or DNS name of the host where AGEPE is executing. Port 8000 is the default for AGW and should not be changed unless you know what you're doing. Again, ignore the Xmit checkbox.

After configuring the appropriate port(s), you can then enable whichever feature you want to use. If any communications errors are encountered, you may need to disable and re-enable the feature to get things moving again. I need to do more work on failure recovery.

If you are using a Bluetooth serial adapter for either KISS or NMEA GPS connections (I use a Delorme BlueLogger as my GPS), you'll need to go through the pairing and assign a COM port outside of the APRSISCE/32 client. Once you know the port number assigned to the device, you can configure it in the client and the Bluetooth connection should be established whent he feature is enabled.

Drop a note to the list if you are using any of these new features. I'm anxious to see how they work out and won't know if they're working or not if you don't tell me!

m6xsd <m6xsd@...>

Hi Lynn,

It's great toget the NMEA support, I am running it on my Desktop with a Haicom GPS connected to COM2 with an external antenna (just looking out of our front window).
It shows my location fine (although it seems to think I'm on the opposite side of the street most of the time, probably due to the GPS antenna location) on it's own map but asyet it doesn't seem to be reporting my location tothe outside world. I have only quickly set it up, so have I missed a setting I should have set?
I am currently using 'M6XSD-1' some if anyone sees me today I would like a report of when & where.
If I get time today I will see if I can emulate a KISS TNC on my Laptop & see if I can get RF to work. I will use a different SSID for RF, so again if anyone sees me 'M6XSD-#' with any SSID I would like to know.

I will let you know how I get on.

73,
Colin
M6XSD.

If you could e-mail your APRSIS32.XML file to ldeffenb@arrl.net I'll take a look at it and see if anything jumps out. I think you only need to have Enables/Tracking Enabled along with a good GPS Fix. Also, the Min and Max Times under the Genius configuration button might make a difference, but you should have at least gotten a packet when the fix was first acquired. What does the line under "APRS OK" say?

http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=M6XSD-1 shows telemetry coming through which indicates that the APRS-IS password is not an issue.

If I get time today I will see if I can emulate a KISS TNC on my Laptop & see if I can get RF to work. I will use a different SSID for RF, so again if anyone sees me 'M6XSD-#' with any SSID I would like to know.
APRSIS32 only supports one callsign per instance. I haven't yet sorted through the callsign uniqueness requirements across the various ports. To run a different call on the RF, you'll need to put a copy of APRSIS32 in a different default directory which will then prompt for new configuration information. Multiple instances can share an OSM directory, but you might have to man-handle the configuration to avoid a second OSMTiles directory tree within your original OSMTiles directory. I don't remember if I fixed that for multiple instances yet or not.

When you say "emulate a KISS TNC", can I inquire as to what you'll actually be running? There's so many options out there, I'm certain I haven't heard of them all yet!

I will let you know how I get on.
I'm looking forward to your status! Especially on the RF front!

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ