Topics

Receiving a bulletin message

g4ilo

Hi Lynn.

I have done some more experimentation and it appears that what I want to be able to do is receive bulletins. If my server sends a message to "BLNWOTA" then it shows up under "Other groups" in the Bulletin board page of aprs.fi.

In UI-View32 the only way I could get the bulletins to appear is to add a budlist filter for the call the bulletins are being sent from. If that is the correct way to do it then that's fine.

If I do this in APRSISCE I see the call the bulletin was from appear in the scrolling window but nothing happens when I click on it. Ideally it would be nice to have bulletins pop up with an audible alert just like messages do, but obviously without the options to reply to them.

Julian, G4ILO

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Julian,

I'll be adding Bulletin support when I add the ability to re-view received messages and generally beef up the messaging section. I've re-read the spec and it appears that clients are actually supposed to display ALL messages received for the configured callsign regardless of the -SSID in use. It is only supposed to ACK messages that match the -SSID.

So, while I'm opening up the message reception to provide for that (and playing with APRS-IS filters to see if the proper messages are delivered), I'll add bulletin support.

I've never seen how UI-View does it, but I'm considering a "Bulletin Board" dialog that has a drop-down or multiple tabs to see the bulletin message lines received from each individual sender. I know this violates one of Bob's intentions of "anyone being able to overwrite anyone else's bulletin line", but that spec was done before APRS-IS merged vastly diverse geographic regions into a single client view.

Not sure when I'll get to it, but now that it's been mentioned, I'll boost it up the list.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

PS. A t/m filter should deliver ALL messages and bulletins to your client since a bulletin is just a message addressed to a particular callsign prefix (BLN).