Topics

Hardware requirement for WM version

David Tse

I tried to look for the info but haven't been able to find it (readme, release note etc).

Which Windows Mobile versions are supported? Are WM 2003 and 2003 SE supported, for example? Or only WM 5 or above?

The reason I asked is that I have an HTC Advantage x7501, a MWg 503g, both on WM 6.x right now, but I also have Toshiba e830 and e805 which are only WM 2003 SE, but I want to make good use of them as well.

Thanks and sorry if this info is easy to find, I just haven't been able to and I tried the search as well.

73,
David
VE7MDT

Lynn Deffenbaugh

David,

My build environment says Windows Mobile 6.1, but I know it runs on 5.0. As far as 2003, I suspect it won't work because I'm not sure the GPSapi goes back that far.

The best I can suggest is to put the .EXE on the device and see if it runs. If it does, you're good. If it doesn't, let me know what it says and maybe I can build a version that works around the issue.

I used to have an original Toshiba e755 before I left it in a loaner car, the dealer recovered it, put it on a shelf, and it disappeared before I got down to pick it up. They ended up reimbursing me for it because they knew they had it and knew they lost it. That's what paid for my AT&T Tilt because there were no other PDAs on the market by that time (well, there WERE PDAs available, but the Tilt with a 2 year plan was cheaper and more functional).

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

ve7mdt wrote:

I tried to look for the info but haven't been able to find it (readme, release note etc).

Which Windows Mobile versions are supported? Are WM 2003 and 2003 SE supported, for example? Or only WM 5 or above?

The reason I asked is that I have an HTC Advantage x7501, a MWg 503g, both on WM 6.x right now, but I also have Toshiba e830 and e805 which are only WM 2003 SE, but I want to make good use of them as well.

Thanks and sorry if this info is easy to find, I just haven't been able to and I tried the search as well.

73,
David
VE7MDT

ta2ey <ta2ey.mustafa@...>

Hi Lynn,

I just joined this group and tried APRSISCE program on my device with WinCE 6.0 OS.

Unfortunately it didn't work under WinCE .
I managed to work APRS-CE without problem.

is there anything I can do to use this software under WinCE 6.0 ?

Mustafa

ve7mdt wrote:
I tried to look for the info but haven't been able to find it (readme, release note etc).

Which Windows Mobile versions are supported? Are WM 2003 and 2003 SE supported, for example? Or only WM 5 or above?

The reason I asked is that I have an HTC Advantage x7501, a MWg 503g, both on WM 6.x right now, but I also have Toshiba e830 and e805 which are only WM 2003 SE, but I want to make good use of them as well.

Thanks and sorry if this info is easy to find, I just haven't been able to and I tried the search as well.

73,
David
VE7MDT

Lynn Deffenbaugh

WinCE 6.0 or Windows Mobile 6.0? I require Windows Mobile, not WinCE.

What is the error message you are being presented with?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

ve7mdt wrote:

I tried to look for the info but haven't been able to find it (readme, release note etc).

Which Windows Mobile versions are supported? Are WM 2003 and 2003 SE supported, for example? Or only WM 5 or above?

The reason I asked is that I have an HTC Advantage x7501, a MWg 503g, both on WM 6.x right now, but I also have Toshiba e830 and e805 which are only WM 2003 SE, but I want to make good use of them as well.

Thanks and sorry if this info is easy to find, I just haven't been able to and I tried the search as well.

73,
David
VE7MDT

Mustafa AYDIN <ta2ey.mustafa@...>

When I double click the exe file from file manager , nothing happens . My device just continue working asif I didn't do anything.

Do you think I need to add some dll files to windows directory to get the program work under winCE ?

Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 7:33 PM
Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Re: Hardware requirement for WM version

ta2ey wrote:
> Hi Lynn,
>
> I just joined this group and tried APRSISCE program on my device with WinCE 6.0 OS.
>
> Unfortunately it didn't work under WinCE .
> I managed to work APRS-CE without problem.
>
> is there anything I can do to use this software under WinCE 6.0 ?
>
> Mustafa
>
> --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> My build environment says Windows Mobile 6.1, but I know it runs on
>> 5.0. As far as 2003, I suspect it won't work because I'm not sure the
>> GPSapi goes back that far.
>>
>> The best I can suggest is to put the .EXE on the device and see if it
>> runs. If it does, you're good. If it doesn't, let me know what it says
>> and maybe I can build a version that works around the issue.
>>
>> I used to have an original Toshiba e755 before I left it in a loaner
>> car, the dealer recovered it, put it on a shelf, and it disappeared
>> before I got down to pick it up. They ended up reimbursing me for it
>> because they knew they had it and knew they lost it. That's what paid
>> for my AT&T Tilt because there were no other PDAs on the market by that
>> time (well, there WERE PDAs available, but the Tilt with a 2 year plan
>> was cheaper and more functional).
>>
>> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
>>
>> ve7mdt wrote:
>>
>>> I tried to look for the info but haven't been able to find it (readme, release note etc).
>>>
>>> Which Windows Mobile versions are supported? Are WM 2003 and 2003 SE supported, for example? Or only WM 5 or above?
>>>
>>> The reason I asked is that I have an HTC Advantage x7501, a MWg 503g, both on WM 6.x right now, but I also have Toshiba e830 and e805 which are only WM 2003 SE, but I want to make good use of them as well.
>>>
>>> Thanks and sorry if this info is easy to find, I just haven't been able to and I tried the search as well.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> David
>>> VE7MDT

Is this on the Toshiba e830 and e805 that you mentioned originally? Or
one of the other devices? If it's Pocket PC 2003, I might be able to
try building down to there, but I suspect that some of my features (like
the map display) won't be functional as that uses new features of the
Windows Mobile shell API.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>,

ve7mdt wrote:

I tried to look for the info but haven't been able to find it
(readme, release note etc).

Which Windows Mobile versions are supported? Are WM 2003 and 2003
SE supported, for example? Or only WM 5 or above?

The reason I asked is that I have an HTC Advantage x7501, a MWg
503g, both on WM 6.x right now, but I also have Toshiba e830 and e805 which are only WM 2003 SE, but I want to make good use of them as well.

Thanks and sorry if this info is easy to find, I just haven't been
able to and I tried the search as well.

73,
David
VE7MDT

Mustafa AYDIN <ta2ey.mustafa@...>

My device is 5" navigation device with WinCE 6.0 OS , 600 Mhz ARM1136JF-S Processor , 128 MB Ram . Windows desktop and internet explorer works properly.

I managed to work many of pocket PC softwares on this device.
After successfully used APRS/CE ,I thought APRSISCE would work on this device as well.

Mustafa - TA2EY

Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 8:59 PM

Mustafa AYDIN wrote:

> When I double click the exe file from file manager , nothing happens .
> My device just continue working asif I didn't do anything.
>
> Do you think I need to add some dll files to windows directory to get
> the program work under winCE ?

One thing Windows Mobile developers learn is there is no such thing as "standard" Windows. APRS/CE and APRSISCE are two completely different programs by different developers. APRSISCE is built in the Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK environment targeting the ARMV4I processor. Windows CE has no guarantee of what sections of Windows API is available or not. It is left up to the whim of the platform builder.

Is there a brand on the device or is a standard Windows CE SDK development environment available for it? If so, that will tell me what I need to conditionalize out of my program to make it work there.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

ta2ey wrote:
Hi Lynn,

I just joined this group and tried APRSISCE program on my device
with WinCE 6.0 OS.

Unfortunately it didn't work under WinCE .
I managed to work APRS-CE without problem.

is there anything I can do to use this software under WinCE 6.0 ?

Mustafa

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>,

ve7mdt wrote:

I tried to look for the info but haven't been able to find it
(readme, release note etc).

Which Windows Mobile versions are supported? Are WM 2003 and 2003
SE supported, for example? Or only WM 5 or above?

The reason I asked is that I have an HTC Advantage x7501, a MWg
503g, both on WM 6.x right now, but I also have Toshiba e830 and e805
which are only WM 2003 SE, but I want to make good use of them as well.

Thanks and sorry if this info is easy to find, I just haven't been
able to and I tried the search as well.

73,
David
VE7MDT

Mustafa AYDIN <ta2ey.mustafa@...>

There isn't any brand on it. it could be Standard Windows CE SDK . There is a note like "Windows Embedded CE v6.0 (Build 0 on Apr 17 2009) " on desktop background picture

I have ROM image files here http://rapidshare.com/files/296548204/YF82A_4.8_WINCE_6.0_ROM.rar . it might help you identify exactly.

Mustafa - TA2EY

Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 9:57 PM

Mustafa AYDIN wrote:

> My device is 5" navigation device with WinCE 6.0 OS , 600 Mhz
> ARM1136JF-S Processor , 128 MB Ram . Windows desktop and internet
> explorer works properly.
> I managed to work many of pocket PC softwares on this device.
> After successfully used APRS/CE ,I thought APRSISCE would work on this
> device as well.
> Mustafa - TA2EY

David Tse

Lynn, I haven't had a chance to test it out yet on my e830 or my e805, but I'll do it once I get some time to. I think it is another user who was asking about CE platform.

I do not own any CE platform devices at the moment (well, there is one, but not being used: it is a Clarion AutoPC 310C, which is the AutoPC (now defunct) platform based on Windows CE 2.0, I used to use it in my old car, running Odyssey 2000 navigation package).

The reason I asked about e830 and e805 is that both units have a 4.0" large LCD, and they are not being used right now so it's a bit of a waste (too lazy to sell them). I might be selling my HTC Advantage x7501 so even though it'll work fine I might not be able to enjoy it. The MWg 503g's screen is a bit small so I might not be using it either.

I also acquired a MID lately: BenQ S6 running Win XP, and will test your win32 version soon (once I set up the unit w/ other things first).

Thanks!

73,
David