Topics

Maps


james_jolin <jjolin@...>
 

I am new to this program, so be gentle. I installed aprsisce for Windows 32. I entered my validation number and all I get is the stations and a big circle with n, s, e, and w. Is there supposed to me a map or somthing. I looked for some documentation, but now appears that is not available yet??
Jim wa9arb


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

james_jolin wrote:
I am new to this program, so be gentle. I installed aprsisce for Windows 32. I entered my validation number and all I get is the stations and a big circle with n, s, e, and w. Is there supposed to me a map or somthing. I looked for some documentation, but now appears that is not available yet?? Jim wa9arb
It sounds like you have increased the transparency of the maps until
they've disappeared completely. Try hitting a bunch of right arrows.
Right arrow decreases the transparency (makes the maps darker) and left
arrow increases the transparency. When the transparency gets to zero,
the program quits doing Mercator Projections of the stations and goes to
a simple distance and bearing from the screen center. Makes an
interesting effect to see how the Mercator Projection warps where things
really are.

If that isn't the case, then you may have configured the maps to be
stored where they cannot be written by the program. If you double-click
inside the circle, do you get a pop-up and what does it say?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSIS32


James Jolin <jjolin@...>
 

Lynn,
I tried both of your suggestions and none of them worked. I downloaded aprsis32 into an empty directory " of my choosing" double clicked the exe file, got a whole bunch of stations, but no map. This morning I tried again and now I don't get any stations at all and , also, no maps. You need more info?
Jim WA9ARB


g4ilo
 

I'll try to help out. What value does OSM.Path have in your APRSIS32.xml file? Mine says:

<OSM.Path>C:&#92;Ham&#92;APRSIS32&#92;OSMTiles&#92;</OSM.Path>

That should tell you where the map tiles are (supposed to be). In my case, I installed the software in &#92;Ham&#92;APRSIS32 (no Program Files nonsense for me.)

Julian, G4ILO

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Jolin <jjolin@...> wrote:

Lynn,
I tried both of your suggestions and none of them worked. I downloaded
aprsis32 into an empty directory " of my choosing" double clicked the
exe file, got a whole bunch of stations, but no map. This morning I
tried again and now I don't get any stations at all and , also, no
maps. You need more info?
Jim WA9ARB


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

James Jolin wrote:
Lynn,
I tried both of your suggestions and none of them worked. I downloaded aprsis32 into an empty directory " of my choosing" double clicked the exe file, got a whole bunch of stations, but no map. This morning I tried again and now I don't get any stations at all and , also, no maps. You need more info?
Jim WA9ARB
Yeah, I do..... Can you:

1) Bring up the client
2) Turn on Enables / Debug Logging
3) Close the client
4) Bring up the client
5) Wait for a while, then do a screen capture (if you know how) or at least note what it says in the APRS Status window (Top center (View/Map/Wide) or 2'nd down on the left (View/Map/Narrow))
6) Close the client

E-mail me the APRSIS32.LOG and APRIS32.XML files in the directory in which the .EXE resides. Hopefully there'll be enough diagnostics in there for me to figure out what's happening to you. If not, I may provide a new .EXE with additional connection-level diagnostics to help figure out what's going on.

Oh, and what Windows version are you running? What processor? What Internet connection (dial-up or high speed)? Any firewalls or non-standard network configuration between you and the Internet?

E-mail this information directly to KJ4ERJ@arrl.net, if you please.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ


James Jolin <jjolin@...>
 

Here is my OSM Path:
<OSM.Path>C:&#92;Users&#92;jamesjolin&#92;Documents&#92;Unzipped&#92;APRSIS32091203&#92;OSMTiles&#92;</OSM.Path>

Jim WA9ARB


James Jolin <jjolin@...>
 

Lynn,
Sent you three different emails. Sorry, I not used to this new version of Thunderbird.
To answer you last questions,
I am running Windows 7. The cpu is a Pentium 4 3.2Mhz. The internet connection is dsl. The firewall is the one built into Windows...no Zonealarm, etc.
That"s about it.
Jim WA9ARB


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

That all looks good. Your OSM.Path is:

C:&#92;Users&#92;jamesjolin&#92;Documents&#92;Unzipped&#92;APRSIS32091203&#92;OSMTiles&#92;

Does that directory exist and is there anything in it? There should be a nested tree of numbered directories of the form...

zz/x/y.png where zz ranges from 00 through 18 and x/y vary depending on z, but are numbers as well. See the following URL if you're curious about OSM tile naming conventions:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Slippy_map_tilenames

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

PS. Are you sure you're not behind some sort of web proxy? The .LOG file showed a connection to the APRS-IS server, but a messed-up filter with the extra filter word. That, along with the 0,0 lat/lon explains the lack of stations. I'm still stumped as to why you're not seeing maps, though.

James Jolin wrote:

Lynn,
Sent you three different emails. Sorry, I not used to this new version of Thunderbird.
To answer you last questions,
I am running Windows 7. The cpu is a Pentium 4 3.2Mhz. The internet connection is dsl. The firewall is the one built into Windows...no Zonealarm, etc.
That"s about it.
Jim WA9ARB