From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of g4ilo
Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:33 PM
To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [aprsisce] What phone

I came across APRSISCE while looking for information about APRS apps for
iPhone. I don't own an iPhone, but was considering getting one to run one of
the APRS apps available for it. But now that I have discovered APRSISCE
Windows Mobile based phones are also an option.

So I would be interested to know what phones other users of this program
would recommend. It must support 3G, and have a built-in GPS like the iPhone
3G(S). What battery life can you expect with position reporting enabled?

Julian, G4ILO

04:20:00

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I developed APRSISCE for an AT&T Tilt (HTC TyTN II) and still use it on
that phone. I now have an extended battery on the phone and can get 3-4
hours tops with live tracking and GPS active (about a 70 mile range of
monitored space). My phone also heats up quite substantially with all
of the radios active (I keep WiFi active on trips for Navizon mapping),
so I also arrange to have it in front of an A/C duct.

When I turn the GPS off to simply monitor APRS-IS, I can extend the
(extended) battery life to 8 hours or so of the same 70 mile range
around Central Florida. Activity on the APRS-IS network affects battery
life as you would expect. I tried monitoring 1000 miles or so on
battery one time (3G), but it really ate into the battery.

When I go mobile on my bicycle or hiking, I have run 7.2v NiMH battery
pack through a 5v regulator and feed external power to the phone just to
keep it running. With 2 packs and the phone's internal battery, I've
gone well over 12 hours of full tracking with capacity to spare.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

David Shrum wrote:

I use a HTC Touch Pro and it works well for me. Couldn't give you an answer
on the battery because whenever I use it mobile I always have it 'plugged
in' to external power so my phone wouldn't go to sleep, I guess I could
change that setting but chose not to, the only thing I have a small issue
with is, not the program, my phone generates a fair amount of heat running
the GPS and the Cellular at the same time so I try and place my in front of
one of the vents on my vehicle when I'm using it, especially in warm
weather.

Dave N8PU

I came across APRSISCE while looking for information about APRS apps for
iPhone. I don't own an iPhone, but was considering getting one to run one of
the APRS apps available for it. But now that I have discovered APRSISCE
Windows Mobile based phones are also an option.

So I would be interested to know what phones other users of this program
would recommend. It must support 3G, and have a built-in GPS like the iPhone
3G(S). What battery life can you expect with position reporting enabled?

Julian, G4ILO

g4ilo

Is there anything specific besides Windows Mobile and GPS that a phone would need to have to run this? Would it run on an HP iPAQ like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Voice-Messenger-Organiser-Windows-Mobile/dp/B001NPE8LS/

Julian, G4ILO

I developed APRSISCE for an AT&T Tilt (HTC TyTN II) and still use it on
that phone.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I didn't have time to study the link you sent, but you'd also want to have an unlimited Internet service on the phone. The GPS must (currently) be supported by the Windows Mobile GPSapi. The upcoming release will be able to do NMEA GPS via direct or Bluetooth serial port.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

g4ilo wrote:

Is there anything specific besides Windows Mobile and GPS that a phone would need to have to run this? Would it run on an HP iPAQ like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Voice-Messenger-Organiser-Windows-Mobile/dp/B001NPE8LS/
Julian, G4ILO

I developed APRSISCE for an AT&T Tilt (HTC TyTN II) and still use it on
that phone.

g4ilo

Thanks. I checked on that and "unlimited" over here is subject to a fair usage restriction of 750MB / month. Would that be a problem?

I've found an HTC T3232 Touch 3G which looks OK. So I might go for that instead.

Julian, G4ILO

I didn't have time to study the link you sent, but you'd also want to
have an unlimited Internet service on the phone. The GPS must
(currently) be supported by the Windows Mobile GPSapi. The upcoming
release will be able to do NMEA GPS via direct or Bluetooth serial port.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

How much data you use is subject to the APRS activity in your area, the range that you configure, and how long you keep the client connected (mine is 24x7). If you double-click the screen part that normally says "APRS OK", it will give you the packets and bytes sent and received since that instance of the client was started.

A client on my desktop that has been running since 1/1 7:46 (1 day 16 hours) says 8,663,362 bytes total with a 200 mile range.

Another client running an unfiltered full feed that has been running for since 12/31 at 16:26 (2 days 4.5 hours) says 490,145,574 bytes.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - As always, YMMV!