/32 and Mobile Use Problem (Maybe)

K3RWN

I am not sure if this is a /32 problem or a lack of APRS setup knowledge on my part.  I have /32 running great on the laptop in my vehicle, however there is one issue.  Under Config I have the Mycall-SSID set to K3RWN-9 (the same as MYCALL in the TT4). The problem is I cannot track myself.  The program thinks I am at the South Pole and does not update per my GPS position.  If I change /32 Mycall to K3RWN-1 and leave the TT4 as K3RWN-9 it tracks great.

Am I missing something in the APRS setup or the /32 setup or is that how it works?

Rich

David Shrum

I will offer an opinion and Lynn will correct me if I am wrong.  You need a different Yourcall-SSID for each copy that you use; otherwise it won’t know where you are for sure if they are running at the same time.

Dave N8PU

P.S. found from earlier messages “Re: [aprsisce] 2 instances”:

(Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ wrote)

EVERY SINGLE APRS-IS CLIENT MUST HAVE A UNIQUE -SSID!  These -SSIDs do NOT have to be between 00-15 and don't even need to be numeric.  I use -AL for my full (ALL) feed, -AP for my APW* watcher, and various others as well.

I am not sure if this is a /32 problem or a lack of APRS setup knowledge on my part.  I have /32 running great on the laptop in my vehicle, however there is one issue.  Under Config I have the Mycall-SSID set to K3RWN-9 (the same as MYCALL in the TT4). The problem is I cannot track myself.  The program thinks I am at the South Pole and does not update per my GPS position.  If I change /32 Mycall to K3RWN-1 and leave the TT4 as K3RWN-9 it tracks great.

Am I missing something in the APRS setup or the /32 setup or is that how it works?

Rich

Rich,

First, as a general rule, each APRS packet generating "thing" should have its own unique -SSID. There's lots of complex reasons for this, but the bottom line is that things can get very confusing if -SSIDs are shared. (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/ssids)

I'm looking at your RAW packets at aprs.fi:

http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=K3RWN-1
http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=K3RWN-9&limit=300

You've only actually transmitted 2 packets as K3RWN-1 (at least, that's all that made it to APRS-IS) and neither of those was a position packet. Do you have a GPS configured into APRSIS32? I suspect not, so you might want to just disable tracking on it as it would only support manual position updates of that station.

To track where you are actually at and have a moving map while mobile, I'd have APRSIS32 tracking your TT4's callsign. Also, the TT4 can be configured to send it's own position packets back to the PC port for just this reason. Without that turned on (I'll refer you to the manual as I don't use my TT4 mobile), the station will only update if the beacon's digipeat is heard or the TT4 beacon is gated to the -IS and your APRSIS32 has mobile Internet getting the update via APRS-IS. I'm not sure if the TT4 does this in KISS mode, TEXT mode, or both.

Which brings me to the next topic. APRSIS32 doesn't have good code to put TNCs into KISS mode. It blindly fires out a few commands that work with some TNC, but not the TT4. For a TT4, it is best to pre-configure the PC's port into KISS mode and tell APRSIS32 to speak KISS over that COM port. According to what I see in -9's raw packets, it looks like you had the TT4 is some sort of Unproto mode where the TT4 added an AX.25 header in front of the fully-formed packet received from APRSIS32. This doesn't work and also implies that you had APRSIS32's TEXT port configured to talk to the TT4. You can do this, but you have to configure the TT4 to not put any additional headers on the packet.

Bottom line: Use different -SSIDs, put the TT4 and APRSIS32 into KISS mode, track the TT4's -SSID (and probably Screen / Tracking / Locked).

PS. APRSIS32 fires the following commands when a KISS port is enabled or the program starts. You're TT4 transmitted the commands! If it had been already in KISS mode, it would have ignored them.

2010-03-06 14:37:29 UTC: K3RWN-9>APTT4,W3PIE-3*,WIDE1,WIDE2-1,qAR,N3WWN-3:XFLOW OFF [Unsupported packet format]
2010-03-06 14:37:29 UTC: K3RWN-9>APTT4,W3PIE-3*,WIDE1,WIDE2-1,qAR,N3WWN-3:KISS ON [Unsupported packet format]
2010-03-06 14:37:29 UTC: K3RWN-9>APTT4,W3PIE-3*,WIDE1,WIDE2-1,qAR,N3WWN-3:RESTART [Unsupported packet format]

Here's the packets from APRSIS32 that were put into the body of the TT4's added header:

2010-03-06 14:42:08 UTC: K3RWN-9>APTT4,W3EXW,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,N3DXC-1:K3RWN-9>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:T#003,86,95,2,0,0,11000000 [Unsupported packet format]

2010-03-06 14:47:10 UTC: K3RWN-9>APTT4,W3EXW,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,K3WOW-5:K3RWN-1>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:T#004,89,95,2,0,0,11000000 [Unsupported packet format]

2010-03-06 14:47:11 UTC: K3RWN-9>APTT4,W3EXW,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,K3WOW-5:K3RWN-1>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:<IGATE,CLOSED [Unsupported packet format]

2010-03-06 14:47:44 UTC: K3RWN-9>APTT4,W3EXW,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,N3DXC-1:K3RWN-1>APWW00,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:<IGATE,MSG_CNT=0,LOC_CNT=1,DIR_CNT=0,RF_CNT=1 [Unsupported packet format]

It appears that you MAY have put APRSIS32 into KISS mode here, but since the TT4 was not in KISS mode, it just transmitted the raw KISS packets as binary body data.

2010-03-06 14:47:21 UTC: K3RWN-9>APTT4,W3EXW,WIDE1,W3PIE-3*,WIDE2,qAR,N3WWN-3:[ binary data ] [Unsupported packet format]

2010-03-06 14:47:25 UTC: K3RWN-9>APTT4,W3EXW,WIDE1,WIDE2*,qAR,K3WOW-5:?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? [Unsupported packet format]

2010-03-06 14:47:30 UTC: K3RWN-9>APTT4,W3EXW,WIDE1,WIDE2*,qAR,K3WOW-5:K3RWN@ARRL.NET [Unsupported packet format]

Finally, you might want to add an > to the front of your comment text or upgrade the TT4 to the latest firmware which I think does this for you automatically.

2010-03-06 14:57:29 UTC: K3RWN-9>APTT4,W3VC-1,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,K3WOW-5:K3RWN@ARRL.NET [Unsupported packet format]

2010-03-06 15:07:29 UTC: K3RWN-9>APTT4,W3PIE-3*,WIDE1,WIDE2-1,qAR,N3WWN-3:K3RWN@ARRL.NET [Unsupported packet format]

David Shrum wrote:

I will offer an opinion and Lynn will correct me if I am wrong. You need a different Yourcall-SSID for each copy that you use; otherwise it wont know where you are for sure if they are running at the same time.
You are absolutely correct and thanks for jumping in! As the use of the client grows, I'm counting on others like yourself to jump in as the message traffic increases! If all goes as I plan with the Wiki, it might be as simple as just dropping a URL in response to FAQs as the first part of this one was.

P.S. found from earlier messages Re: [aprsisce] 2 instances:

(Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ wrote)

EVERY SINGLE APRS-IS CLIENT MUST HAVE A UNIQUE -SSID! These -SSIDs do NOT have to be between 00-15 and don't even need to be numeric. I use -AL for my full (ALL) feed, -AP for my APW* watcher, and various others as well.
That response was specifically for APRS-IS (Internet) ONLY connected stations. If you're running APRSISCE/32 connected directly to any sort of RF port (KISS, TEXT, or AGW), the -00 -15 numeric restriction applies. I need to update the -SSID page to make that distinction (added to the ToDo list!)

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

I am not sure if this is a /32 problem or a lack of APRS setup knowledge on my part. I have /32 running great on the laptop in my vehicle, however there is one issue. Under Config I have the Mycall-SSID set to K3RWN-9 (the same as MYCALL in the TT4). The problem is I cannot track myself. The program thinks I am at the South Pole and does not update per my GPS position. If I change /32 Mycall to K3RWN-1 and leave the TT4 as K3RWN-9 it tracks great.

Am I missing something in the APRS setup or the /32 setup or is that how it works?

Rich

K3RWN

First off thank you all so much. Is there a good location with help or
FAQs?

First, as a general rule, each APRS packet generating "thing" should
have its own unique -SSID.

OK I have the /32 as -1 and the TT4 as -9
I'm looking at your RAW packets at aprs.fi:

Do you have a GPS configured into APRSIS32?

I do not have a GPS on /32 it is connected to the TT4.
To track where you are actually at and have a moving map while mobile,
I'd have APRSIS32 tracking your TT4's callsign. Also, the TT4 can be
configured to send it's own position packets back to the PC port for
just this reason. Without that turned on (I'll refer you to the manual
as I don't use my TT4 mobile), the station will only update if the
beacon's digipeat is heard or the TT4 beacon is gated to the -IS and
your APRSIS32 has mobile Internet getting the update via APRS-IS. I'm
not sure if the TT4 does this in KISS mode, TEXT mode, or both.

I set TSWPT to TRUE this will send pos reports to /32 regardless of if my
RF was heard.

Which brings me to the next topic. APRSIS32 doesn't have good code to
put TNCs into KISS mode.

I knew this and was setting the TT4 to KISS in an emulator, I changed it
this morning to TEXT when I was playing around and did not set it back
before I sent the email. It is set correctly now.

I am not sure what command is causing the UNPROTO issue.
I have everything setup as per your email. I guess we will see if it looks
better now. Tracking is working great. I just drove around the local
streets and everything is good.

Rich

Lynn Deffenbaugh

There is a fledgling Wiki at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/start The organization is non-existent, but if you click on one of the Page tags on the left you'll get an idea of the topics for which pages currently exist. My goal is that simple FAQs can be answered in this group just by providing a link to the appropriate Wiki page. When you look at the Wiki, you can tell that I'm not there yet!

I set TSWPT to TRUE this will send pos reports to /32 regardless of if my
RF was heard.
Ok, that should provide good updates for the -9 back to APRSIS32 allowing that station to track nicely.

I am not sure what command is causing the UNPROTO issue.
I don't know how the TT4 actually works in TEXT mode, so if you keep the TT4 and APRSIS32 both in KISS mode, I think you'll do fine.

I assume that's tracking of the -9 and visibility to it on APRSIS32? I see the > from the TT4, but you probably also want to disable tracking in APRSIS32 (uncheck Enables / Tracking Enabled). You can turn it back on and drag/Transmit your actual coordinate when you get stationary if you want.

2010-03-06 16:35:42 UTC: K3RWN-1>APWW00,W3EXW,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,N8GD-1:@163538h0000.00N/00000.00E$APRS-IS for CE [Latitude and longitude are both 0]

Does your APRISS32 machine have mobile Internet? Just curious because if it does, you'll have a mobile IGate!

Cool! I just looked at your actual location on the map. I grew up in Johnstown PA and my high school sweetheart lived in Brentwood, juse SW of your QTH! That was a LONG time ago!

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

Rich

K3RWN

Well that is cool. I can see Brentwood from my house! I live about 1 block
out of Brentwood. Everything is working great here. I am really glad you
turned my on to this program. My APRS knowledge is a lacking but I am
learning. My fixed location is now programmed. I do not have the Internet
in my mobile.

I am sure I will have some more questions or suggestions in the future.

Rich