Date   

Re: hashtag aka pound sign missing

Larry Nelson
 

Yes due to technical difficulty I’m off line. i plan to bring everything back up on line hopefully tomorrow. I also plan to program my FT2XDR HT and a base radio for ARRS. I’ll be back up on the air soon because I intent to use this for Skywarn and Emcomm.
73’s
Larry

On Jul 9, 2021, at 3:40 PM, Glenn O'Connor <ka0lnr37@...> wrote:

Hello all. I've noticed recently that after a successful retransmission onto RF from IS in the past, a "#" would present
itself in the Heard list. I no longer see that. 

What say ye?

73,
Glenn-KF0ED <hashtag.PNG>


Re: hashtag aka pound sign missing

Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

IIRC, the # means that the packet was received inside a 3rd party packet.  If those used to show up and are no longer showing up, and they were from your own transmissions, then you are no longer hearing a digipeat of your IS-to-RF gated 3rd party packets.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 7/9/2021 3:40 PM, Glenn O'Connor wrote:
Hello all. I've noticed recently that after a successful retransmission onto RF from IS in the past, a "#" would present
itself in the Heard list. I no longer see that. 

What say ye?

73,
Glenn-KF0ED


hashtag aka pound sign missing

Glenn O'Connor
 

Hello all. I've noticed recently that after a successful retransmission onto RF from IS in the past, a "#" would present
itself in the Heard list. I no longer see that. 

What say ye?

73,
Glenn-KF0ED


Re: Screen clearing

T W
 

How do I get it to beacon?

On 22 Jun 2021, at 13:19, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

If your weather object "never restores", then that probably means that it is not beaconing either.  APRSISCE/32 will display every station from which a new packet is received even after a Clear / Clear Stations.  So if one disappears and doesn't come back, that means a new packet was not received from it after the Clear Stations.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 6/22/2021 2:08 PM, T W via groups.io wrote:
Yes, it clears everything including my weather object that never restores. 

Sent while mobile. 

On Jun 22, 2021, at 13:03, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Have you tried Clear / Clear Stations?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 6/22/2021 1:29 PM, T W via groups.io wrote:
I know this has been asked before but I can't find the answer. Is there a way to clear the screen on a timed basis. My map fills up pretty quick and the only way to clear it is to restart. If I simply clear the station, I get cleared and not restored.


Re: Screen clearing

Arnold Harding - KQ6DI
 

What about the parameters in the APRSISCE.xml file like:
<Stations.MinAge>50</Stations.MinAge>
<Stations.MaxAge>60</Stations.MaxAge>
<Stations.MaxAge.Buddy>0</Stations.MaxAge.Buddy>
 
I've changed my parameters to one hour except for Buddy.  One hour works most of the time for me, and Buddies can be cleared other ways.
Arnold, KQ6DI

On 06/22/2021 11:19 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:
 
 

If your weather object "never restores", then that probably means that it is not beaconing either.  APRSISCE/32 will display every station from which a new packet is received even after a Clear / Clear Stations.  So if one disappears and doesn't come back, that means a new packet was not received from it after the Clear Stations.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 6/22/2021 2:08 PM, T W via groups.io wrote:
Yes, it clears everything including my weather object that never restores. 

Sent while mobile. 

On Jun 22, 2021, at 13:03, Lynn Deffenbaugh < kj4erj@...> wrote:

Have you tried Clear / Clear Stations?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 6/22/2021 1:29 PM, T W via groups.io wrote:
I know this has been asked before but I can't find the answer. Is there a way to clear the screen on a timed basis. My map fills up pretty quick and the only way to clear it is to restart. If I simply clear the station, I get cleared and not restored.


Re: Screen clearing

Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

If your weather object "never restores", then that probably means that it is not beaconing either.  APRSISCE/32 will display every station from which a new packet is received even after a Clear / Clear Stations.  So if one disappears and doesn't come back, that means a new packet was not received from it after the Clear Stations.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 6/22/2021 2:08 PM, T W via groups.io wrote:
Yes, it clears everything including my weather object that never restores. 

Sent while mobile. 

On Jun 22, 2021, at 13:03, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Have you tried Clear / Clear Stations?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 6/22/2021 1:29 PM, T W via groups.io wrote:
I know this has been asked before but I can't find the answer. Is there a way to clear the screen on a timed basis. My map fills up pretty quick and the only way to clear it is to restart. If I simply clear the station, I get cleared and not restored.


Re: Screen clearing

Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

Ah, on thinking it through a bit further, why don't you just use your Configure / Save Posits / Save Filter as your main Configure / General / Add Filter and set the Configure / Range to zero?

If this guess is correct, you want to see ONLY those stations whose packets are saved and restored when you restart the client.  Doing the above change will mean that ONLY those packets matching the current Save Filter will ever be received and therefore your map will not "fill up" to start with...

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 6/22/2021 2:03 PM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

Have you tried Clear / Clear Stations?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 6/22/2021 1:29 PM, T W via groups.io wrote:
I know this has been asked before but I can't find the answer. Is there a way to clear the screen on a timed basis. My map fills up pretty quick and the only way to clear it is to restart. If I simply clear the station, I get cleared and not restored.


Re: Screen clearing

T W
 

Yes, it clears everything including my weather object that never restores. 

Sent while mobile. 

On Jun 22, 2021, at 13:03, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Have you tried Clear / Clear Stations?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 6/22/2021 1:29 PM, T W via groups.io wrote:
I know this has been asked before but I can't find the answer. Is there a way to clear the screen on a timed basis. My map fills up pretty quick and the only way to clear it is to restart. If I simply clear the station, I get cleared and not restored.


Re: Screen clearing

Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

Have you tried Clear / Clear Stations?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 6/22/2021 1:29 PM, T W via groups.io wrote:
I know this has been asked before but I can't find the answer. Is there a way to clear the screen on a timed basis. My map fills up pretty quick and the only way to clear it is to restart. If I simply clear the station, I get cleared and not restored.


Screen clearing

T W
 

I know this has been asked before but I can't find the answer. Is there a way to clear the screen on a timed basis. My map fills up pretty quick and the only way to clear it is to restart. If I simply clear the station, I get cleared and not restored.


Re: My Bluetooth Mobilink TNC 2 issue

Weston Bustraan W8WJB
 

Speaking as someone who has written a Mobilinkd config app for macOS and built a NucleoTNC, I don’t think this is correct. With the Mobilinkd, there is no relationship to the audio card on the device where you are running the config app, regardless of whether it is a PC, Mac, Android or iOS device. The TNC2/3 uses its onboard circuitry to capture audio; no audio data is sent to the computer for processing. It should work perfectly well to configure the TNC2 with Android and use it on a Windows machine. You do, however, need remember to save the settings to the NVRAM on the TNC, so that, if it is power cycles at any point when changing from one device to another, it retains the settings you just configured.

- Wes, W8WJB 


Re: Kpc3+ (Note on the long-delayed packet problem)

Robert Bruninga
 

> http://aprs.org/kpc3/fix14439.html
> 404: Page not found

Sorry, should be http://aprs.org/fix14439.html
Bob

> On 6/14/2021 5:30 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>
> Thanks, I have added it tot he two configuration files for th e KPC3
> found on the http://aprs.org/kpc3/fix14439.html page.
> That page was developed in about 2004 to come up with the
> nominal APRS-IS configuration we have today.
>
> Bob, Wb4APR
>
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 4:50 PM Robert D. York <kf4ffn@...> wrote:
> >
> > Ok,
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 1:13 PM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:
> >>
> >> The issue with the KPC-3+ has nothing to do with the MON command, but everything to do with a firmware bug and handshaking signals.  Please read and understand:
> >>
> >> http://blog.aprs.fi/2011/03/kantronics-kpc3-considered-harmful.html
> >>
> >> And especially the comment that says:
> >>
> >> I was working with Kantronics support on this issue and I seem to have solved it by shorting the RTS and CTS pins together within my serial cable. (PINS 4/5 on DB25 and PINS 7/8 on DB9) I simply ran a jumper between the two. This appears to be an issue with how the APRS software and/or the AX.25 stack controls the RTS pin and shorting the RTS and CTS together prevents the software from holding the RTS pin low. If the RTS pin is at low voltage the KPC3+ will start buffering and does not get caught back up. I have been running mine for several weeks without showing this behavior again. Before I made the change it would happen after about 12 hours.
> >>
> >>
> >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
> >>
> >>
> >> On 6/14/2021 1:30 PM, Gil wrote:
> >>
> >> Please check your KPC3+ (or KPC3) once you've got it in operation.  I have seen those TNCs delay packets for a significant amount of time before digipeating them.  They are sometimes delayed so long that the system thinks they're new packets - and repositions my mobile station accordingly.  I've seen my mobile beacons regurgitated by KPC3 digipeaters many minutes (and miles) after they were sent.  On a recurring basis, it makes the track appear to be bouncing back and forth from where it most recently was (as digipeated by other digipeaters) to where it formerly was (at a former beacon location delayed by the KPC3) - many miles away (I think astronomers call it "retrograde motion" when they refer to the apparent observed motion of some planets).  I have a problem with a KPC3 digipeater doing that right now (I need to try to contact the owner again...).  I can see my beacons showing up from it 5 or more minutes after they were sent from my station at another location.  It won't be obvious for a fixed station, but it sure shows up for mobiles.
> >>
> >> Please just check that your setup is not doing that.  Monitor it for a while once you've got it going.  This is apparently a known problem for some KPC3s.  Lynn can probably provide information regarding what to do about it.
> >>
> >> Gil Chapin, WB2UTI
> >
>


Re: My Bluetooth Mobilink TNC 2 issue

Don Poaps
 

http://www.mobilinkd.com/downloads/

I have a TNC3.

Mobilinkd TNC configuration utility for Microsoft Windows. Use these
programs to set output volume, monitor input volume and set all KISS
parameters on computers running Microsoft Windows. The computer must
have a Bluetooth interface in order to use this program.

This is only for the TNC2 -- it will not work with the TNC3.

I'll be working on this later.

73

Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU VOICE


Winlink: va7qu@winlink.org
Subject://wl2k

ALLSTAR 530780
HH# 5971
HH# 11384
Alberta Mesh# 5404

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 5:27 PM <todd.dugdale@gmail.com> wrote:

Well, your screenshot shows a Windows install of APRSIS32. If you're using the Mobilinkd TNC with a PC, you need to configure the audio with the Windows version of the config app, and save that config. Your Android config will only be using the audio settings for the particular Android device that you're using.
I've 'fixed' two local operators' TNC2 simply by setting the audio levels. in both cases, the Moblinkd was declared "broken".
If the Mobilinkd doesn't "work" with that Android device, you should day so. Then it's likely an app setting. Good luck.
-KD0TLS


Re: My Bluetooth Mobilink TNC 2 issue

todd.dugdale@...
 

Well, your screenshot shows a Windows install of APRSIS32. If you're using the Mobilinkd TNC with a PC, you need to configure the audio with the Windows version of the config app, and save that config. Your Android config will only be using the audio settings for the particular Android device that you're using.  
 I've 'fixed' two local operators' TNC2 simply by setting the audio levels. in both cases, the Moblinkd was declared "broken". 
If the Mobilinkd doesn't "work" with that Android device, you should day so. Then it's likely an app setting. Good luck.
 -KD0TLS


Re: Kpc3+ (Note on the long-delayed packet problem)

Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

Thank you for that corrected link, on behalf of everyone else who may come along and find the wrong one!

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

On 6/14/2021 7:59 PM, zl1vfo via groups.io wrote:
Perhaps http://www.aprs.org/kpc3/kpc3+WIDEn.txt may have been intended instead.
-Ian ZL1VFO




Re: Kpc3+ settings for APRSISCE

Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

And that is, in fact, the desire.  There is no guarantee that the Windows end will properly assert the signals at the proper time.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 6/14/2021 7:57 PM, Rob Giuliano via groups.io wrote:
Those are the serial hardware control control pins, which is why I suggest using a fully populated RS232 cable - allow the TNC and PC to fully communicate.  Sorting those pins will just fool theeach component into thinking it us okay to continue the communication.


On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 16:50, Robert D. York
Ok,

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 1:13 PM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

The issue with the KPC-3+ has nothing to do with the MON command, but everything to do with a firmware bug and handshaking signals.  Please read and understand:

http://blog.aprs.fi/2011/03/kantronics-kpc3-considered-harmful.html

And especially the comment that says:

I was working with Kantronics support on this issue and I seem to have solved it by shorting the RTS and CTS pins together within my serial cable. (PINS 4/5 on DB25 and PINS 7/8 on DB9) I simply ran a jumper between the two. This appears to be an issue with how the APRS software and/or the AX.25 stack controls the RTS pin and shorting the RTS and CTS together prevents the software from holding the RTS pin low. If the RTS pin is at low voltage the KPC3+ will start buffering and does not get caught back up. I have been running mine for several weeks without showing this behavior again. Before I made the change it would happen after about 12 hours.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 6/14/2021 1:30 PM, Gil wrote:
Please check your KPC3+ (or KPC3) once you've got it in operation.  I have seen those TNCs delay packets for a significant amount of time before digipeating them.  They are sometimes delayed so long that the system thinks they're new packets - and repositions my mobile station accordingly.  I've seen my mobile beacons regurgitated by KPC3 digipeaters many minutes (and miles) after they were sent.  On a recurring basis, it makes the track appear to be bouncing back and forth from where it most recently was (as digipeated by other digipeaters) to where it formerly was (at a former beacon location delayed by the KPC3) - many miles away (I think astronomers call it "retrograde motion" when they refer to the apparent observed motion of some planets).  I have a problem with a KPC3 digipeater doing that right now (I need to try to contact the owner again...).  I can see my beacons showing up from it 5 or more minutes after they were sent from my station at another location.  It won't be obvious for a fixed station, but it sure shows up for mobiles.

Please just check that your setup is not doing that.  Monitor it for a while once you've got it going.  This is apparently a known problem for some KPC3s.  Lynn can probably provide information regarding what to do about it.

Gil Chapin, WB2UTI


Re: Kpc3+ (Note on the long-delayed packet problem)

Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

Yes, that one points to the original post at aprs.fi which has more complete details if you watch the videos.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 6/14/2021 7:11 PM, James Jones wrote:

Seems the links are 404 for me, I did find another blog that discusses the issue.  https://packet-radio.net/kantronics-kpc3-kiss-considered-harmful/ 

 

FWIW

Jim, AB4D


Re: ICOM ID51A DPRS ON MAP

K3RWN
 

Are you communicating through a repeater or hotspot?

Turning on the GPS alone is not enough.   You need to turn on the DPRS messaging also

Rich

On 6/14/2021 12:35 PM, Al Massaro KF5SMH wrote:
We are attempting to have all of our team members activate their ID51A GPS  and then be able to track them on the map.
As yet we cannot get the position reports to show up on the map, we have tried both the A and G message options.
Anybody try this and if so, how did you get it to work?
Any help appreciated!

AL M 
KF5SMH


Re: Kpc3+ (Note on the long-delayed packet problem)

zl1vfo
 

Perhaps http://www.aprs.org/kpc3/kpc3+WIDEn.txt may have been intended instead.
-Ian ZL1VFO


Re: Kpc3+ settings for APRSISCE

Rob Giuliano
 

Those are the serial hardware control control pins, which is why I suggest using a fully populated RS232 cable - allow the TNC and PC to fully communicate.  Sorting those pins will just fool theeach component into thinking it us okay to continue the communication.


On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 16:50, Robert D. York
<kf4ffn@...> wrote:
Ok,

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 1:13 PM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

The issue with the KPC-3+ has nothing to do with the MON command, but everything to do with a firmware bug and handshaking signals.  Please read and understand:

http://blog.aprs.fi/2011/03/kantronics-kpc3-considered-harmful.html

And especially the comment that says:

I was working with Kantronics support on this issue and I seem to have solved it by shorting the RTS and CTS pins together within my serial cable. (PINS 4/5 on DB25 and PINS 7/8 on DB9) I simply ran a jumper between the two. This appears to be an issue with how the APRS software and/or the AX.25 stack controls the RTS pin and shorting the RTS and CTS together prevents the software from holding the RTS pin low. If the RTS pin is at low voltage the KPC3+ will start buffering and does not get caught back up. I have been running mine for several weeks without showing this behavior again. Before I made the change it would happen after about 12 hours.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 6/14/2021 1:30 PM, Gil wrote:
Please check your KPC3+ (or KPC3) once you've got it in operation.  I have seen those TNCs delay packets for a significant amount of time before digipeating them.  They are sometimes delayed so long that the system thinks they're new packets - and repositions my mobile station accordingly.  I've seen my mobile beacons regurgitated by KPC3 digipeaters many minutes (and miles) after they were sent.  On a recurring basis, it makes the track appear to be bouncing back and forth from where it most recently was (as digipeated by other digipeaters) to where it formerly was (at a former beacon location delayed by the KPC3) - many miles away (I think astronomers call it "retrograde motion" when they refer to the apparent observed motion of some planets).  I have a problem with a KPC3 digipeater doing that right now (I need to try to contact the owner again...).  I can see my beacons showing up from it 5 or more minutes after they were sent from my station at another location.  It won't be obvious for a fixed station, but it sure shows up for mobiles.

Please just check that your setup is not doing that.  Monitor it for a while once you've got it going.  This is apparently a known problem for some KPC3s.  Lynn can probably provide information regarding what to do about it.

Gil Chapin, WB2UTI

121 - 140 of 35598