From: aprsisce@... [mailto:aprsisce@...] On Behalf Of Rud Merriam
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2011 15:39
To: aprsisce@...
Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Object placement

Thanks, James,

Next question is how to communicate between two instances without going through the internet to the main servers. What I am after here is running one instance zoomed out to show a section of the race course and one zoomed in so I can precisely position the leader to a specific location.

Next, next question is how to mark a route that the cyclists will be following. Maybe this is through an overlay?

I did find another answer to my question about maps being bolder - change the transparency using the right/left arrows. I am reading the Wiki!  Now to find a map server that gives me maps with a little more details, like town names, at about level 4 or 5 zoom.

Just FYI, this is for an Ironman competition in The Woodlands, TX this Saturday. We are monitoring the bike riders through a section of a national forest where cell coverage is very spotty. This is the first year for the event.

- 73 -
Rud Merriam K5RUD
Emergency Coordinator
Montgomery County ARES®
Mystic Lake Software

On 5/16/2011 1:37 AM, James Ewen wrote:

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 11:51 PM, Rud Merriam <k5rud@...> wrote:

> Is there a way to manually place an object on the map showing, say, the
> leader of a cycling event. Then move that object as reports are received?

Yes... right click on the spot that you want to put the object, and
then select the last item on the pop up dialog that lists the lat/long
of the spot you just selected. From that submenu, select create object
here, and fill in the appropriate details.

Use a similar technique to move the object... right click on the new
spot for the object, select the last item (lat/long), and the select
move xxxxx here, where xxxxx is the name of the object you just
created.

James
VE6SRV