From: aprsisce@... [mailto:aprsisce@...] On Behalf Of g4ilo
Sent: 19 March 2011 19:30
To: aprsisce@...
Subject: [aprsisce] Re: APRSIS32 Satellite tracking

This is quite interesting, though straying a bit from core APRS. Although I never used it, it seems the way Bob Bruninga originally did it was to have a program that transmitted objects showing the satellite position over RF. It seems that is no longer practical due to the existence of APRS-IS and the potential for conflict with satellite objects being created by different people.

In our area we have done a similar thing except to avoid the conflicts the satellite alerts and positions are sent as messages using ANSRVR so they are only received by those who are interested and there is no problem with conflicts.

Personally I'm not really sure there is a need to duplicate the functionality of a satellite tracking software in an APRS client. The days of DOS are gone, you can run more than one program at a time now. :) If orbiting satellites were of real practical use as APRS digipeaters I could see more point in it, but in reality due to the infrequency of passes and the number of people trying to be digipeated through the ISS it's just a bit of fun rather than something of serious practical use, IMO.

Julian, G4ILO