Re: Map display of an alias for a received station?

sbd sbd

If you want to sell bridges to Americans talk to me, we brits have form on that. Got a nice one just down the road.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Bridge_%28Lake_Havasu_City%29

Urban legend says it was bought in the belief it was Tower Bridge, the more iconic bridge I guess most Americans having seen a film with shots of London will have seen.

Steve

G6UIM

From: aprsisce@... [mailto:aprsisce@...] On Behalf Of Fred Hillhouse
Sent: 03 March 2011 21:48
To: aprsisce@...
Subject: RE: [aprsisce] Map display of an alias for a received station?

Yes, and with it comes a $1,000,000,000 grant.

By the way, I have a great bridge for sale. It is even close to you. It connects a bunch of islands south of you. :)

Fred, N7FMH

From: aprsisce@... [mailto:aprsisce@...] On Behalf Of Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 16:22
Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Map display of an alias for a received station?

Does that mean that if I call it "Tactical" they'll start tracking "AirForce1" (no room for the -) realtime with APRSISCE/32?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

On 3/3/2011 3:54 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

drawing on this, any aircraft with the president on board is called air force 1. That is a tactical call from the people that guard him.

From: aprsisce@... [mailto:aprsisce@...] On Behalf Of Randy Love
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 15:50
Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Map display of an alias for a received station?

Ok. You're the author, so you can make it whatever you want.

Tactical is a term that is understood throughout the EMCOMM community, as well as part of the national emergency responders training in the NMES system.

Adding the translation to nickname is just another non-standard term that I have to teach operators when they use this APRS client. APRS is about situational awareness. Most times, situational awareness is coupled with use of tactical callsigns on voice EMCOMM nets, and the terminology of 'tactical call' is taught and used very widely. I suspect that a large number of your users will be emergency communications operators and locations.

My 2 cents. Again, as author of the program, you could call this feature 'handle' or 'screenname' if you wanted.

Randy
WF5X

Join APRSISCE@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.