From: aprsisce@... [mailto:aprsisce@...] On Behalf Of Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
Sent: 03 March 2011 21:40
To: aprsisce@...
Subject: Re: [aprsisce] satnav integration

You got my curiosity up so I'm downloading mapFactor's NavigatorFree, but I'm failing to find any reference to said " tcp/ip interface".  Any links to where you saw that information?

PS. Given the size of the map files, I'm seriously wondering about the ability of said software to FIT on a Windows Mobile device in parallel with APRSISCE, but I do see that it runs on Win32 as well.

Actually, not anytime in the near future.  My goal is that APRSISCE/32 will remain free and simple and not require nor encourage anyone else to make money off of it (except radio vendors).

The Windows CE platform in particular is not the easiest to develop or test for nor is it a platform that garners a large share of users (of the 185 APRSISCE/32 users in the past 6 hours, only 17 are on WinMo).  It's just not worth putting much effort into a feature that only works on the smallest platform especially when only some (probably small) percentage of that small number are likely to pop the $$$ to purchase other software to go with it.

And there are those other detractors that say "WinMo is dead, long live Android/iPhone/".

I've got lots of stuff on the ToDo list that benefits everyone on every platform and are specific to APRS, not non-amateur radio functions (like SatNav).

I'll make a note of it, but don't hold your breath in anticipation of seeing an interface anytime soon.

On 3/3/2011 2:25 PM, Patrick Wood wrote:

Lynn, I mentioned this in another forum to you earlier today, but have done some more looking since then so thought I'd post something specific here.  Mapfactor PC Navigator is a software satnav application for windows..  One thing that caught my eye is that it has a tcp/ip interface to allow for communication with other programs.  Any chance that a bridge could be made for it to link into aprsisce so that it could be used as a navigation front end, for those times you are just looking to see the aprs around you and not necessarily interact with it?