Re: Map Clarity?

James Ewen

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@arrl.net> wrote:

Ok, you found one that is NOT in the Wiki yet, but I know it's been
posted here on numerous occasions, but here it goes again.
I guess you need to copy the email and stuff it into the Wiki then!
Glad I didn't get the RTFM statement just because I'm too lazy to look
for the answer... 8)

When you make the OSM maps 100% transparent (the whole way to the left),
APRSISCE/32 switches from the Mercator projection that we're all used to
and instead places stations according to their range and bearing from
the center of the screen.  As of a fairly recent version, it also adds
lat/lon lines at 10 degree increments.  Dragging the world map in this
mode is quite interesting, especially if you have stations visible from
all over the world.  It makes it pretty obvious that things that appear
to be East or West of you are in fact, closer if you go "over the pole".

I know there's a name for this projection because HF operators use
something similar from their QTH to figure out the actual compass
setting to point there beam to work certain areas of the world.
Mercator projections don't make this easy.
Looking for the term: Azimuthal equidistant projection

Now that I zoomed out far enough, I can see that's what you're up
to... I was zoomed in too close.

James
VE6SRV