From: aprsisce@... [mailto:aprsisce@...] On Behalf Of Lynn W. Deffenbaugh
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 13:59
To: aprsisce@...
Subject: Re: [aprsisce] message from APRSIS/32

As far as I know, you have to have a Validated connection to the APRS-IS
server for it to accept and forward any packets to the APRS-IS
backbone. It will send packets to you from the -IS, but I believe even
messages would be blocked at entry and never get anywhere. A simple
test would be to hose up your password, connect to :14501 and verify a
"No", and then send a message somewhere and see if it shows up in your
raw packets at aprs.fi.

But, there was also an issue with many of the javAPRSSrvr installations
that run the APRS-IS as the originally supplied default configuration
file was configured to not require validated connections. I cannot say
how many of the servers have actually updated their configurations as
recommended, so depending on the server, an unvalidated connection may
or may not forward packets to the -IS.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ