Re: TT4

Fred Hillhouse

It seems the only equipment that show the objects name are Kenwoods (at least the D7). My T2 puts the originator on the LCD but the object name on the GPS display. For an object, the D7 actually shows the the object name and in the comment field the comment. For a repeater, the object name is the frequency and the status will give tone and range. For example, see objects on APRS.FI from PNRDVL. There are 3 of them. Actually 4, but one is not currently being updated.

Here is one of the objects:
Source callsign: PNRDVL
APRS object: 147.135NH
Comment: T100 r20m S.Uncan MT

The question is, what information is the most useful to an observer? Is it the originator of the object or the object itself?

The D710 allows the user to set the radio to a repeater object if it is properly formed. I actually would like the repeater objects to be stored in a separate file for access by software that can program my FT857D. It would sure be handy when travelling to areas other than my own.

Ah, more food for thought! :)

Best regards,
Fred

And now for the rest of the story...

The same thing happens with received objects. The ID in the scrolling
station log will be the originator of the object (or the IGate if the
object was 3rd party gated, a rare occurrence) but the right click menu
will be for the object itself. You see this a lot with repeater
frequency objects that are beaconed.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

Robin Williams wrote:
Hi Lynn,
That was quick.
"Do you mean ones that were gated from -IS to RF by an iGate?"
Yep.
Your explanation says it all.
Thanks,
Robin.