Re: Top left rectangle

James Ewen

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@arrl.net> wrote:

A side line of my APRS work is analyzing and visualizing nationwide APRS
traffic.  Sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference between an
alias in a path and a station using some sort of tactical callsign.
Especially up in the NorthWest.
Hey, that's close to home... What paths could be confused with a
tactical callsign?

British Columbia uses BCn-N, Alberta uses ABn-N, Washington uses
WAn-N, Idaho uses IDn-N, Oregon uses ORn-N, Montana uses MTn-N.
Tactical callsign look like EVNBRG, WHTCRT, EDMNTN, PIGEON, ROCKYD,
HRYHIL, and ANTLER. Regular WIDEn-N paths are pretty easy to pick out.

Tactical callsigns make it much easier to visualize where the packets
have traveled as the tactical callsigns are chosen to represent the
area that digipeater is located. When I see WHTCRT,EVNBRG in the path
portion, I know it has come from Whitecourt through Evansburg to me.
Much easier to decode than trying to figure out where VE6PP and VE6YER
are located.

James
VE6SRV