Re: Need help

jandgandjochem <vk2jng@...>

Ok, this is what I got sofar:

1 of 710 in the car being VK2JNG-9
1 of 710 in the Caravan (RV) being VK2JNG-12
1 of APRSISCE Win 32 on my laptop being VK2JNG-10 in the caravan.

When beaconing I can see the 710 in the car (VK2JNG-9) on the map as well as the 710 in the caravan (RV) (VK2JNG-12)

I can send messages to and from all the above three.

I can also see VK2JNG-10 (Laptop) on the T2Texas status page with YES in the 4th column.

However, when I force a TX from the Laptop (VK2JNG-10) I can't see that on the map.

Getting closer by the minute here with your help which is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gerard
VK2JNG

Ok, I think you're real close, but not quite there. I really wish I had
finished my ToDo item of showing port status better...

First, at http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VK2JNG-12 I'm seeing the first
indication of the problem. Every APRS station must have it's own
-SSID. It's not a good idea to share them and VK2JNG-12 is being used
by your Kenwood directly. You need a different callsign on APRSISCE.

jandgandjochem wrote:
Can't get myself on the map yet??

Have you entered in an APRS-IS password and followed the on-screen
instructions to zoom in on your home location on the first execution?
Yes I have entered my callsign and SSID being VK2JNG-12
VK2JNG-12 has not directly beaconed to APRS-IS yet. I suspect the
password you entered is not correct for your callsign. If you bring up
the "Info" popup by clicking on your station (hopefully in the center of
the screen), it will list the APRS-IS server to which you are connected,
both as a DNS and as an IP address. Use the IP address and point your
browser to http://<That.IP.Address>:14501 (note the colon in there). I
know the client said :14580, but the status page is at :14501. Once you
get the status page, search for your callsign and check what it says in
the "Verified" (4th) column. I suspect it doesn't say "Yes". (BTW,
Ctrl-F is a quick way to Find your callsign on the status page).

If you need an APRS-IS password, e-mail me directly at KJ4ERJ@...
and I'll generate one for you.

Trying to use it with my Kenwood 710.

What connection are you using to the 710? Did you configure the correct
COM port and baud rate under Configure / KISS? Is the 710 in KISS mode?

I use the com port on the panel of the 710 (Display unit) and via a RS232 to USB converter made by KeySpan to USB com port 7 on the PC.
This has always worked fine when updating firmware and saving database etc.
Under configure > Kiss I get a window asking for IP/DNS and port.
Have not yet configured anything there.
When you click the KISS button on the Configuration dialog, click NO to
the "TCP/IP Port?" question. That will get you into the serial port
configuration page for the KISS TNC interface. Set it all up as you
need to.

I have configured the com port on the Kenwood Menu 519 to 9600 and in the program under Configure > NMEA I have 9600; COM 7; Parity None; Data 8 and Stop 1.
Does the Kenwood put NMEA GPS data out the serial port? I don't think
so. You need to clear all of the NMEA configuration options since you
probably used the same port that you need to use under KISS. If you
want a GPS, you'll need to provide for another one since I don't think
the Kenwood can share that data with the PC while it is in KISS mode.

Note: I can see other local stations appearing on the screen but not my station. BTW On APRS.fi I appear ok as VK2JNG-12
In the scrolling station list, do those stations have * beside them? If
so, they're coming from the KISS port (doubtful). If not, they're
coming from APRS-IS, which is probably rejecting your beacons without
the proper password.

Thanks so much for your help.

Gerard
VK2JNG

I'd suggest getting the APRS-IS functions working first and then we can
work on the RF side of things.

Thanks heaps,

Gerard
VK2JNG