Re: Station wandering

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Phillip wrote:
Hi,
Running the latest vers of APRSISCE WIN32 with GPS attached to my
Desktop ZL2TZE-15 over the last 24 hrs + its has been wandering some miles away .
I ask why ?
The only reason your station would wander away is that the GPS antenna doesn't have good coverage and is reporting a constantly changing position to the client. I set my home station with a GPS to a Min Time (Configure/Genius) of 300, 600, or 900 seconds to prevent lots of position beacons from being sent. My Max Time is set to 30 minutes. As a matter of fact, I just noticed that my DeLorme BlueLogger GPS doesn't even have a fix right now! I wonder if the antenna fell off the window sill?

I have now removed the GPS and running in Fixed mode
Since the GPS isn't used by the client for now, bring up some other GPS-using program and see if it also shows the coordinates moving around. Some routing programs smooth out the GPS signal, which can make the position appear more stable. But that approach makes them particularly non-useful for hikers, bikers, and geocachers.

73 Phillip
ZL2TZE
73 and thanks for the GPS report. BTW, what GPS is it, anyway? (Just curious)

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ