Re: Setup problem

Lynn Deffenbaugh

james_jolin wrote:
Using the first version of aprsis32 and I can't seem to get my coordinates to "take." I put in the latitude and longetude values and save the xml file and everthing is ok til I run the probram and it comes up with no maps and a "laptop" in the middle of the big circle with the wrong coordinates in the "info." When I look in the xml file the corrdinates have changed to 90.000 Latitude and 180.00 longitue. I know I am doing something wrong, but I can't seem to find it.
Jim
I would strongly suggest downloading the latest APRSIS32 from the Yahoo Group files section. It fixes quite a few things, not the least of which is the ability to "track" a fixed Lat/Lon.

APRSIS32 keeps its configuration in APRSIS32.XML (as you already know) in the default directory within which you run the program (usually the same directory as where the .EXE resides, but not always). To edit the XML, always make sure the program is CLOSED. Otherwise, your changes will be lost when the program closes the next time as it completely rewrites the XML file when closing.

Inside the XML file, locate the <Latitude> and <Longitude> tags (not the <Center.Lat/Lon> nor the <Preferred.Lat/Lon>. These numbers are in decimal degrees where Negative is for the Southern and Western hemispheres. Once you have your desired coordinates set in the .XML, restart the client and your laptop should be at the proper place as indicated by checking the "Me" Info popup.

As for the maps, I'm hoping that is an issue related to 180/90 as I've got no idea what the program will do with that setting, nor where it's coming up with such a setting.

Finally, if all else fails, just delete the .XML file and start the client again. It will prompt for the initial configuration and will allow you to pan/zoom the maps to get to your home location. Once you have the home location centered, close the client and restart it and all will be well. If you don't get maps on this initial execution without an existing XML file, there's something else going on with your installation, I'm guessing a firewall or a required proxy.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ